Author Topic: Shepherd Slings  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Hiker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Shepherd Slings
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
Anyone have any experience using Shepherd Slings and/or thoughts as to whether to include them in one's survival prep?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Shepherd Slings
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »

Offline Hiker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »
Good site.  Thanks.

Offline dissidentX

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »
I bought one off ebay last week and plan on trying to make some more. It's fun to play with. It's gonna take a lot of practice for accuracy to be a reality.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »
my son made one the other day.  was having a good time with it.  I think I will send him this link

d3nni5

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
I got hit in the back of the head with a rock from a sling when I was a kid.   My friends and I were arguing, like buddies do, and I decided I had enough and was "taking my ball and going home".    My buddy Sherm, God rest his soul, waited until I got a ways down that old dirt road we lived on, and whipped out a sling.    Wing, wing, wing...whirl......SMACK.   Knocked me right off my bike!    I had a lump for days.

I think he was a surprised as I was that he actually hit me.   Don't even remember what we were arguing about.   But we were 12-13 years old, and thought we were bad ass ninja's or something.    Puts a smile on my face to think about him and those old times.

But they do work, and can be deadly if you know what your doing.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »
now i need to make one and practice.

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
I got hit in the back of the head with a rock from a sling when I was a kid.   My friends and I were arguing, like buddies do, and I decided I had enough and was "taking my ball and going home".    My buddy Sherm, God rest his soul, waited until I got a ways down that old dirt road we lived on, and whipped out a sling.    Wing, wing, wing...whirl......SMACK.   Knocked me right off my bike!    I had a lump for days.

These are the type of stories that will always be remembered  ;D , it also demonstrates the possibility of stunning prey long enough to close and kill using a blade.

FarmerJim

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
My dad made me one at 10 or so out of some old cord and a leather belt. I got pretty damn good (could hit a person at 75+ yards. Not bad for the non athletic bookworm!) I would love to find an inexpensive sling (or 2) for me and my daughter.

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:54:08 PM »
I was bored in Afghanistan and wove one out of 550 one day. We had a local national working for us that was one badass dude. Hated Taliban and could spot them miles away. Anyway, he saw me with it and signed to ask to use it. I hand it over , he picks up a rock the size of a shooter marble and swings it whum, whum, whum, whum whumwhumwhum, ZWING! bzzzzzzzzz... It sounded like a bullet going overhead. I was impressed.

Offline Tex4k

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:46:26 AM »
I've made many, thrown a couple of truckloads of rocks plus a couple of wheelbarrow loads of misc. other stuff. Just from reading the post don't do the "....whir-whir -whir" thing, just one round, your release should be at the 340 deg. point, for accuracy. Even though I've never been accurate enough to consider it a hunting tool. National geographic did a piece several years ago about kids in Mongolia shooting fish with slingshots, they must've practiced with a couple of trainloads of rocks.????