Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Survival Summary

<< < (2/34) > >>

Beetle:
    Awesome!!! I am curious have you walked through your Evac plan and how long did it take until you were leaving? Also one small suggestion, you should get into ham radio and install a couple mobile radio's in the suburban's. You would be able to talk between your work (25miles ) and home no problem. If you were heading home and she had a HT(walkie talkie) you could keep in touch while she was getting the kids and supplies ready. Plus Ham is really not that expensive.
Great job!!!

Jwatt:
Wow,
Amazing!  I will be referencing this frequently while I am building up my survival supplies!  I think you undercalculated your daily calorie needs.  2000 calories a day for a man of your size is too little - especially if you are going to be doing anything other than sitting and watching t.v. at your bug-out location.  You should recalculate and stock up for a higher amount and then use less if you are able to. 

gigaJack:

--- Quote from: edhand on November 24, 2008, 11:43:32 AM ---GigaJack,

Incredible list and spreadsheet.  I'll be studying it for the next week, at least ...  :D

When you mark some food containers as "LDS", I'm assuming that it's food canned at the local LDS cannery?  Are they in standard #10 cans?

Thanks,
Ed

--- End quote ---

They are the #10 cans. I initially bought a couple of cases through their online site at a great price including shipping. Then I found out there was a Home Storage Center in Minnesota. I printed out their Home Storage Center Order Form and contacted them to setup a time to meet at the warehouse. They had enough inventory for what I wanted for the prepackaged cases of 6 #10 cans but other items where ala carte meaning what ever they had available after he last weekend canning. I am not a member, but they didn't ask. He did ask for the Ward and Stake. I just gave him the one nearest me.

gigaJack

gigaJack:

--- Quote from: Bailey on November 24, 2008, 12:24:42 PM ---    Awesome!!! I am curious have you walked through your Evac plan and how long did it take until you were leaving? Also one small suggestion, you should get into ham radio and install a couple mobile radio's in the suburban's. You would be able to talk between your work (25miles ) and home no problem. If you were heading home and she had a HT(walkie talkie) you could keep in touch while she was getting the kids and supplies ready. Plus Ham is really not that expensive.
Great job!!!

--- End quote ---

We haven't walked through our evac plan yet. My wife has been bugging me about it for the last month or so. I presume we will have some kinks to work out when we do. I would guess it would take a good 2 hours the first time. I don't know how we would arrange items for the roof racks. I will update the plan online in the next month after we give it a go.

I have been meaning to research other radios. That would be cool if it would reach between home and work.

gigaJack

gigaJack:

--- Quote from: Jwatt on November 24, 2008, 03:31:49 PM ---Wow,
Amazing!  I will be referencing this frequently while I am building up my survival supplies!  I think you undercalculated your daily calorie needs.  2000 calories a day for a man of your size is too little - especially if you are going to be doing anything other than sitting and watching t.v. at your bug-out location.  You should recalculate and stock up for a higher amount and then use less if you are able to. 

--- End quote ---

Yup,

Good catch. I always use the recommended daily 2,000 on the back of the cereal box. What a bunch of crap.

Calories per Day Calculator

For me Male | 200 lbs | 5'10" | 35 yrs | Moderately Active = 3,043 calories per day.
For wife Female | 120 lbs | 5'6" | 29 yrs | Moderately Active = 2,094 calories per day.

My wife is at her ideal weight but I am on the bigger side. It says I should weight 180 lbs.

If I plug 180 lbs into the calculator it says I need:
Average Actual Metabolism 2,849 calories per day.
Resting Metabolism 1,838 calories per day

I am going to change mine to 2,800, wifie's to 2,000, 10 year old child to 1,500 and 7 year old child to 1,200.

Damn, I am now down to 9.5 months.

gigaJack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version