Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

My journey to maintaining my own vehicles

<< < (2/71) > >>

bdhutier:

--- Quote from: NWPilgrim on August 25, 2013, 10:34:11 AM ---... such as the washer I just replaced the pump and clutch on.
--- End quote ---

You just proved can do 80% of your vehicle repairs yourself (if you want to), then!  Another 18% can be taken care of with the help of Google or a friend, and maybe 2% in a shop due to specialty tools and such.

MTUCache:
 :clap:

More guts than me. I'm in the same place you started, but haven't ventured too far down this road yet.

:popcorn:

theBINKYhunter:

--- Quote from: bdhutier on August 25, 2013, 12:35:52 PM --- and maybe 2% in a shop due to specialty tools and such.

--- End quote ---

i'd argue with this as most auto shops have those tools that you can rent to do the job, and lots of them will rent them for free (security deposit refunded upon return). i can see the issue with large lifts and cherry-picker stuff though, that's where i am right now, as mentioned in the OP... so i'll say it's 1% ;)

theBINKYhunter:

--- Quote from: NWPilgrim on August 25, 2013, 10:34:11 AM ---I am in the "take it to the shop" club for my vehicles right now.  I do most of my home repairs such as the washer I just replaced the pump and clutch on.  In the past I have installed hardwood floors, replaced central air ducts, vent fans, electrical outlets, laid 18" floor tiles, etc. 

--- End quote ---

i honestly believe owning a home is what has given me the confidence to branch out to the vehicles. i've enclosed part of my garage to add a room, that required running electrical and air ducts. i've installed tile and painted among other things.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: bdhutier on August 25, 2013, 12:35:52 PM ---You just proved can do 80% of your vehicle repairs yourself (if you want to), then!  Another 18% can be taken care of with the help of Google or a friend, and maybe 2% in a shop due to specialty tools and such.

--- End quote ---

That's encouraging.  For some reason I have a mental block about working on my vehicles.  Not much on the house intimidates me: I've taken out entire walls, rebuilt a walk-in closet, rewired for bath lights and venting.  for some reason I like figuring that out.  I have done disc brakes, tune-ups on older cars, replaced the head gasket on a 1987 Subaru, replaced water pumps, alternators and a starter on various vehicles in the past.  It just isn't much fun for me. But, I admit it is a valuable skill to have and you only get it by doing.

Keep posting your efforts as it is an inspiration to some of us on the fence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version