Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

My journey to maintaining my own vehicles

<< < (71/71)

Carl:

--- Quote from: LVWood on July 28, 2017, 10:56:18 AM ---It was an engine pull to replace the water cooled alternator on a VW Touareg with the V8.
Fine German engineering indeed.

--- End quote ---

Their engineering is top notch,but they proved in the 40's that they lack in people skills. ::)

archer:

--- Quote from: LVWood on July 28, 2017, 10:56:18 AM ---It was an engine pull to replace the water cooled alternator on a VW Touareg with the V8.
Fine German engineering indeed.

--- End quote ---

damn, i almost bought a used one..

theBINKYhunter:

--- Quote from: archer on July 28, 2017, 02:24:25 PM ---damn, i almost bought a used one..

--- End quote ---

I remember reading somewhere that the V8 Touarage was one of worst vehicles for fuel economy, and that was years ago before the whole VW scandal happened.

machinisttx:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on July 28, 2017, 08:18:53 AM ---Well, I rotate every 5k when I change the oil. And the tires were bought in January so I would like to take care of them. I am driving a lot less now between moving closer to work and taking the motorcycle most days.

--- End quote ---

Check rockauto.com for whatever parts you need. IIRC, the last time I put struts on the civic I ordered from them and paid a little over half of what it would have cost at oreilly's/autozone/etc. for the exact same parts. The only thing to watch out for when ordering from them is that everything is coming from the same warehouse.

Archer: I don't know much about the ford alternators, but if it stopped putting out power then there was definitely something wrong. Possibly as simple as a $5 set of brushes. Automotive alternators are pretty simple to repair most of the time.

theBINKYhunter:
I'm a huge fan of rockauto. Surprisingly Amazon is pretty competitive in price with them with some parts. eBay works too, just used that for a piece is trim for my van.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version