Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

My journey to maintaining my own vehicles

<< < (70/71) > >>

theBINKYhunter:
Well, I rotate every 5k when I change the oil. And the tires were bought in January so I would like to take care of them. I am driving a lot less now between moving closer to work and taking the motorcycle most days.

archer:
swapped out the alternator in my '96 ford ranger last night. i did this 3 yrs ago also... hmm, wonder if the one that died had a problem... easy to do.. ford did a good job designing the swap out.

theBINKYhunter:
I miss my ranger, it was so easy to work on. I dread the first major repair on my van, there is no space for my hands in that engine compartment unless i remove the engine...

Carl:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on July 28, 2017, 09:48:51 AM ---I miss my ranger, it was so easy to work on. I dread the first major repair on my van, there is no space for my hands in that engine compartment unless i remove the engine...

--- End quote ---

Technology has helped a bit ,though often the technology is the problem. I used to change oil every 5 K and do tune-op on dwell and timing once a month etc...under the hood or under the car at least two times a month....now the ignition time itself...you can turn the distributer and not changem a thing...if the auto even has one and the carb or now more often air body has no real adjustment though your auto has more computers than NASA while men went to the moon..I can put in synthetic oil and good filters and my car is good to go for 40K or more miles.

But self maintaining is becoming a real bear as you don't repair much...you just replace and robots that build them have smaller arms.

LVWood:
It was an engine pull to replace the water cooled alternator on a VW Touareg with the V8.
Fine German engineering indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version