Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

My journey to maintaining my own vehicles

<< < (3/71) > >>

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: thewarriorhunter on August 25, 2013, 04:15:21 PM ---i'd argue with this as most auto shops have those tools that you can rent to do the job, and lots of them will rent them for free (security deposit refunded upon return). i can see the issue with large lifts and cherry-picker stuff though, that's where i am right now, as mentioned in the OP... so i'll say it's 1% ;)

--- End quote ---

Really?!  I never knew auto shops would rent tool.  Are you talking hand tools such as special wrenches, etc.?  I assume then they would also work on a pulled part if it needed welding, pulling, etc?  Are these typically the local small shops, or is it most auto shops (I assume not dealer shops though)?  Thanks for any details you can provide because that is a show stopper for me when you need a $200 tool to replace a $50 part.

alan123:
I think he means places like Autozone. I have borrowed a wheel bearing  driver from them. You can get cherry pickers from a rental yard. Towable or breakdown type.

bdhutier:

--- Quote from: NWPilgrim on August 25, 2013, 04:23:01 PM ---Really?!  I never knew auto shops would rent tool.  Are you talking hand tools such as special wrenches, etc.?  I assume then they would also work on a pulled part if it needed welding, pulling, etc?  Are these typically the local small shops, or is it most auto shops (I assume not dealer shops though)?  Thanks for any details you can provide because that is a show stopper for me when you need a $200 tool to replace a $50 part.
--- End quote ---

Not very many (if any) shops themselves will rent tools out, because most of what you see is owned by the individual mechanics.  Most stores will, though (AutoZone, and such).  Local shops will 99% of the time weld, cut, or press for you for a small fee.  Dealerships almost never will, unless your cousin works there or something.

--- Quote from: thewarriorhunter on August 25, 2013, 04:15:21 PM ---i'd argue with this as most auto shops have those tools that you can rent to do the job, and lots of them will rent them for free (security deposit refunded upon return). i can see the issue with large lifts and cherry-picker stuff though, that's where i am right now, as mentioned in the OP... so i'll say it's 1% ;)

--- End quote ---

It really depends... See above for rentals.  Cherry pickers and tranny-jacks are cheap, and easy to use.  Lifts are convenient, but it's nothing a floor jack and a good set of jack stands won't fix.  Don't need a shop for those.  Where you're going to run into trouble is, no one on the face of the earth is going to rent or lend out their $5000 Snap-on diagnostic scanner, which you'll have to use for anything sensor/ECM related, and newer than OBDII.  They will hook it up for $80, though. 

theBINKYhunter:

--- Quote from: bdhutier on August 25, 2013, 04:50:21 PM ---Not very many (if any) shops themselves will rent tools out, because most of what you see is owned by the individual mechanics.  Most stores will, though (AutoZone, and such).  Local shops will 99% of the time weld, cut, or press for you for a small fee.  Dealerships almost never will, unless your cousin works there or something.

It really depends... See above for rentals.  Cherry pickers and tranny-jacks are cheap, and easy to use.  Lifts are convenient, but it's nothing a floor jack and a good set of jack stands won't fix.  Don't need a shop for those.  Where you're going to run into trouble is, no one on the face of the earth is going to rent or lend out their $5000 Snap-on diagnostic scanner, which you'll have to use for anything sensor/ECM related, and newer than OBDII.  They will hook it up for $80, though. 

--- End quote ---

yeah, i meant places like auto zone and o'reilly (where i go). usually if you need that oddball tool they have it and you can rent it.

and yes, there are a few things that would be hard to come buy unless you knew someone in the shop. that's why i gave it the 1% still.

and i hear you on the floor jacks/jack stands to replace a lift. i have an axle leak i have to look at next on my car. no way i'm getting under that car with just a floor jack. i'll be putting the front end up on jack stands before i even think of getting under there.

when i was 16 i changed a tire on an incline and was too dumb to block the wheels. the car rolled off the jack and the axle nearly crushed my head. i pulled my head out the second before it happened because i heard a weird noise, that would be the car starting to roll.

bdhutier:

--- Quote from: thewarriorhunter on August 25, 2013, 11:13:11 PM ---when i was 16 i changed a tire on an incline and was too dumb to block the wheels. the car rolled off the jack and the axle nearly crushed my head. i pulled my head out the second before it happened because i heard a weird noise, that would be the car starting to roll.
--- End quote ---

That's similar to the way I learned to safety-check when taking over jobs from other mechanics.  I finished a starter replacement in a Kenworth (60lbs) for another guy once.  You have to lay right under it to get it in.  As I almost got it all the way up, I discovered he never disconnected the batteries, and I was showered with sparks.  Still not sure how I managed not to drop it on my face!!!

I got a shit-ton of beer out of that one!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version