Author Topic: recommendations for warm insulated boots for winter  (Read 13879 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
recommendations for warm insulated boots for winter
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
 I just bought a pair of LL Bean insulated boots but I am interested in other boots that would be good for cold weather when it gets down to say 0 or 20 degrees. My understanding is insulated boots are warmer than just wearing thick socks. When I wear insulated boots, I sometimes have to change my socks more often as my feet sweat more and the socks get damp. Perhaps if I got boots rated for 10 or 20 bellow I would be sure they would be plenty warm when it is not as cold as that.

I am interested in boots that would be light enough to wear to the office as well. I can't come in with giant hi top cloggers.

The problem I have is I may have somewhat poor circulation and at times my feet get cold. When my feet get cold I tend to catch colds and I don't really get sick days at work. If you sick it comes out of your vacation days or maybe unpaid days.

I also of course prefer boots that are well made, durable, comfortable, and a good value for the price etc
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:44:51 AM by surfivor »

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: recommendations for warm insulated boots for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »
I think the best insulated boots depends on the intended use.  (Isn't that always the answer?)  I like by basic old sorrels for just 'tromping around'.  They slip on/off easy, are warm, etc.  However, they are also pretty loose.  I also have insulated hiking boots that I use for snowshoing, and winter hiking; there are ice climbing boots that need to be stiffer and more sensitive than many other winter boots, etc.

If you want something that you can wear into the office, I'd take a look at some of the lightly insulated hiking or hunting boots.  That way you can wear a thick sock if needed for extra warmth but you can also go thinner if just headed to the office.  There are lots of models -- go with what fits your foot best.  Also recommend going with goretex or some other waterproof barrier if you can.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
I think the best insulated boots depends on the intended use.  (Isn't that always the answer?)  I like by basic old sorrels for just 'tromping around'.  They slip on/off easy, are warm, etc.  However, they are also pretty loose.  I also have insulated hiking boots that I use for snowshoing, and winter hiking; there are ice climbing boots that need to be stiffer and more sensitive than many other winter boots, etc.

If you want something that you can wear into the office, I'd take a look at some of the lightly insulated hiking or hunting boots.  That way you can wear a thick sock if needed for extra warmth but you can also go thinner if just headed to the office.  There are lots of models -- go with what fits your foot best.  Also recommend going with goretex or some other waterproof barrier if you can.

I do have sorrel boots ..

The insulated boots I have currently fit too tight to wear a heavy sock with. I am a size 9 or 9.5. The people at the store tell you you don't need a heavy sock with these boots or tell you not to do that.  If I got another pair, say size 10 or 10.5 maybe I could wear those with a heavy sock. Sometimes they have tried to sell me boots that fit very snug, but after I wore them for awhile they start to hurt my feet, so I tend to go with comfort rather than a snug fit sometimes.

I saw these say they are good to 40 below zero, but I had never heard of them:
http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/9142/1600FQ0007882/Rocky-Jasper-Xtreme-Super-Insulated-Outdoor-Boots/

saw cabelas has an insulated logging boot:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=721275

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
I like the look of those Cabelas insulated loggers.  They seem more like you could wear them to work, if that comment is one of your priorities.

Too tight is definitely a problem with winter boots.  Compressing your feet is a non-starter in terms of keeping them warm.  You don't want them too big either.  So there's one of the cruxes....finding boots that actually fit. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
I like the look of those Cabelas insulated loggers.  They seem more like you could wear them to work, if that comment is one of your priorities.

Too tight is definitely a problem with winter boots.  Compressing your feet is a non-starter in terms of keeping them warm.  You don't want them too big either.  So there's one of the cruxes....finding boots that actually fit.

yea, they do look good. Wearing them to the office is a big deal as I have a desk job and my feet can get cold sitting at my desk.

Wild Colonial Boy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »
If your out in the field, working in the wet and mud you might want a pair of solid rain boots (Rubber boots, Wellington boots or whatever else you wish to call them).. I would highly recommend the insulated Bogs, rate to -40F I believe.  I had the good fortune to visit Antarctica last year and wore them whilst ashore on the Antarctic Peninsula.  They were outstanding! I still own a pair.

I also own Zamberlan boots (an Italian brand of hiking/mountaineering boots) and would highly recommend them for comfort and warm in cold/extreme cold conditions.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
I love my sorrels. I ran thousands of miles in them with the dog team.

Cedar

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:50:12 AM »
I have to agree with Cedar on this one... When I was in the Canadian Infantry, I would use any excuse I could to put on my Mukluks (Sorels). If the ground is at all frozen, it is below 32 and you are not moving around a lot, they are the best way to go. No traditional insulated boot ever worked well enough at keeping my feet warm in those temperatures (though my wife does call me a wuss sometimes).

I have polled sleds, gone on long ruck marches with them and snowshoed with them. Are they a bit loose? Yes, but that is the compromise. I'll take warmth any day of the week unless it was a short duration outside or specific work was being done and you needed a more solid boot. Even when I go to the office, I keep the Sorels in the trunk or even wear them, and just have my dress shoes in my bag.

I also own Zamberlan boots (an Italian brand of hiking/mountaineering boots) and would highly recommend them for comfort and warm in cold/extreme cold conditions.

I also have a pair (maybe a different model?), but even still, if below 32 and I stop moving, they get cold let alone below 20 degrees like you are talking about.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:36:09 AM »
You might try new socks instead.

The traditional school of thought is to wear two pair; a wicking synthetic inner, and a wool outer. This outfit has combined them into a double layer single sock that's thinner than most heavy winter socks.

http://www.wrightsock.com/merinoTrl.php

Cheaper than new boots; might be worth a try.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »
Try running a Google search for  "arctic rated boots." Those boots are designed for you to have two pairs of socks on.

Mind, you they ARE expensive.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »
Sorel Caribou; I've worn a pair extensively out in temps down to -60 F.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
Uggs brand workboot?  ::) No experience, was surprised to see that they aren't all styled for hipster girls in miniskirts. The real shearling lining should offer impressive warmth.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
I served an LDS mission in Montreal and areas north of there.  the best advice given to new arrivals was "buy some Sorel boots"

I never had a cold foot problem, and while many missionaries left their old ones for someone else to use, I decided that I would be living in cold areas again (what can I say - I like snow!) and I kept mine.  they are great.  but I have not been in as cold of weather as I was in those 2 winters in Quebec Provence.

Mine come up almost to my knees and that is especially nice in deep snows.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »
You might try new socks instead.

The traditional school of thought is to wear two pair; a wicking synthetic inner, and a wool outer. This outfit has combined them into a double layer single sock that's thinner than most heavy winter socks.

http://www.wrightsock.com/merinoTrl.php

Cheaper than new boots; might be worth a try.

I am not totally sure, but I was told insulated boots are warmer than wearing heavy socks in a non insulated boot.
I am not sure why that would be, but in seems there could be something to it based on my experience.
The biggest problem is too much moisture and wicking socks seem to work best for that. The ones I have come accross are expensive, around $15 a pair. Any recommendations on cheaper ones that are good ?

I bought this columbia boot at an outdoor store recently (below), they are rated -25 and I plan to keep them around until I may need them in January or so. The LL Bean insulated boots I have currently seem to be ok but not as warm. 
Anyway, this is what they had at the place up the road:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-cascadian-summit-ii-boots-insulated-for-men~p~96390/

Made for the weekend warrior, Columbia Sportswear's Cascadian Summit II boots are built with water-resistant split suede, one-piece injection-molded TPR shell, and seam-sealed construction to lock out the elements. 200g Thermolite┬« insulation and a ThermaShield frost plug reflect cold and keep in the warmth.
Comfort rated to -25┬░F
Padded footbed
Aggressive traction sole
Medium width
Made in Viet Nam

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33174?feat=630-CL1&page=women-s-maine-hunting-shoe-10-gore-tex-thinsulate&attrValue_0=Brown/Brown&productId=457179

This is what I wear Surfivor. I am sure there is a man's version. I bought my pair at an outlet as they were 'irregular' for about $70 and I have worn them for probably 10 years now. They are the warmest things EVER. When I don't need the warmth protection as much I wear a regular sock and don't lace them tight unless I am in deep snow. But I can wear these for HOURS with just 1 pair of thin wool socks in the deep cold and my feet stay toasty even if I am not moving about much. One thing with insulating anything is that you need small airspaces between your layers to stay warm. You warm up these air spaces with your body heat, the insulation keeps the air locked in and warm, and you stay warmer.

Anyone who has problems with their feet staying warm, add a couple of layers to your core first. If your core is not sufficiently warm your blood will not pump as well to your extremities and those will get cold (cold feet, hands, head). You will not feel the cold in your core because your body is designed to maintain the temperature of your core first and restrict blood flow to your extremities. So typically, people will think they need to add another layer to their feet/hands/head when they really need to start at the core. When I am in the woods backpacking I usually carry about 5-6 layers for my torso and 2-3 for my legs (3 would be when I am in camp) and 1 for my head and hands. If your feet or hands are cold, adding layers to them will not help much if they are not getting an adequate supply of blood to generate heat.

I too used to try adding better socks, more insulation, etc to my feet, head and hands until I figured this out.

In an office setting you can easily add a 'undershirt' of insulation, wear a shirt and then a sweater and no one would think anything of it. If done right you may be able to wear a 'normal' looking sock and shoe/low cut boot and keep those piggies warm.

Hope this helps.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
I am not totally sure, but I was told insulated boots are warmer than wearing heavy socks in a non insulated boot.
I am not sure why that would be, but in seems there could be something to it based on my experience.
The biggest problem is too much moisture and wicking socks seem to work best for that. The ones I have come accross are expensive, around $15 a pair. Any recommendations on cheaper ones that are good ?
Compression. The felt used in felt lined boots for instance does not significantly compress no matter how snug a fit or how tight you tie them. Likewise any insulation in the soles will be designed to support weight and not compress.

So rather than going for a loose fitting boots planning to wear two or three pairs of socks, better to get boots with adequate insulation for your temp requirements and go with a single pair of light to medium weight sock.

Wool is still the best material for socks. I have used a variety in the past and currently have several mixed fiber variants branded Browning, Smart Wool etc. Ones to check out imo are some mentioned in another thread called "Darn Tough" made in Vermont IIRC. See:

http://darntough.com/

You can also go with an "over boot" - the type used in winter mountaineering - to add a few degrees of temp rating. In a survival situation if you find yourself with inadequate boots in this regard if you wear the smaller shoe sizes you can don large heavy rag wool socks over your boots - as many as you can, and wrap additional cloth over that too if available.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Well this is what I've been wearing for many years. There are not cheap, but they are the warmest most comfortable boots I've ever found. I wear them most all the time. I find them more comfortable than any hiking boots. Then again, you should keep on mind that I am just a Maine hillbilly anyway...

https://www.chippewaboots.com/category/SUPER_LOGGER

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33174?feat=630-CL1&page=women-s-maine-hunting-shoe-10-gore-tex-thinsulate&attrValue_0=Brown/Brown&productId=457179

This is what I wear Surfivor. I am sure there is a man's version. I bought my pair at an outlet as they were 'irregular' for about $70 and I have worn them for probably 10 years now. They are the warmest things EVER. When I don't need the warmth protection as much I wear a regular sock and don't lace them tight unless I am in deep snow. But I can wear these for HOURS with just 1 pair of thin wool socks in the deep cold and my feet stay toasty even if I am not moving about much. One thing with insulating anything is that you need small airspaces between your layers to stay warm. You warm up these air spaces with your body heat, the insulation keeps the air locked in and warm, and you stay warmer.

Anyone who has problems with their feet staying warm, add a couple of layers to your core first. If your core is not sufficiently warm your blood will not pump as well to your extremities and those will get cold (cold feet, hands, head). You will not feel the cold in your core because your body is designed to maintain the temperature of your core first and restrict blood flow to your extremities. So typically, people will think they need to add another layer to their feet/hands/head when they really need to start at the core. When I am in the woods backpacking I usually carry about 5-6 layers for my torso and 2-3 for my legs (3 would be when I am in camp) and 1 for my head and hands. If your feet or hands are cold, adding layers to them will not help much if they are not getting an adequate supply of blood to generate heat.

I too used to try adding better socks, more insulation, etc to my feet, head and hands until I figured this out.

In an office setting you can easily add a 'undershirt' of insulation, wear a shirt and then a sweater and no one would think anything of it. If done right you may be able to wear a 'normal' looking sock and shoe/low cut boot and keep those piggies warm.

Hope this helps.

I probably have the same boots. I had some other LL Bean summer hiking boots. I think they where comfortable but I wore them alot and they seemed to wear out completely within a year. I bought the insulated ones because I was desperate for a pair of warm boots and there was not alot of choices.