Author Topic: Data backup and EDC  (Read 1350 times)

Offline ChadK

• Survivor
Data backup and EDC
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Hey everyone -  The show with Jeremy Lesniak reminded me that I've been using some software I wrote for quite a while to backup/encrypt my data and wanted to let you know.  Been listening since episode #7 and wanted to give back to the community for all it's done for me.  I needed to put together a decent web site to for anyone to use it other than me, but that's done now.

It's free, and I've used it for months, it works for me.  If you find bugs or have improvement ideas let me know.  Otherwise spread the word.

It is not the end all/be all to backup just meant to quickly provide copies without worry of loss.  I use it to keep copies in my wallet, on my smartphone, in the car, and on a server off site.  Keeps me redundant and quickly accessible.  My next project is to write something that does all of that in a batch format so I don't have to keep swapping out media cards, dvds, etc...

Storage Suggestions
To keep your data as safe as possible, it is recommended that you have at least 3 copies
spread out geographically to increase the odds of a successful recovery.
For maximum protection you will want to account for 2 types of events:
1. Catastrophic events where you are not displaced. This can be something like theft,
power surge, or hard drive failure. Simply replace the hardware and restore from any
of your most current copies.
2. Catastrophic events where you are displaced. Examples of this are natural disasters
such as tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, fire, terrorist acts or civil unrest.
For example, create these copies: keep one copy on a micro sd card that you can carry in
your wallet or purse, one on a usb thumb drive in a physically secure location such as a vault
or a fire safe, and one off site such as on a dvd at a relative's house, or on a web drive or the
cloud.
Spreading out your copies like this will give you a better chance to be able to recover the files
in case of a local, regional or large scale concern.

http://pathware.net/?page_id=27

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:34:04 AM by ChadK »