Author Topic: ENO Two Person Hammock  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Lenwood

• Prepper
    • Lenwood Leather
ENO Two Person Hammock
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »
This is a "two person" hammock.

I picked mine up about a year ago and have spend about 10 nights in it and countless short naps...

The good:
Light weight
Small when packed
Lots of room for one person
A good night sleep just about anywhere

The bad:
Price is $65 could be less expensive
Nylon material can rip easily if you have something sharp in your pocket (even keys)
You still need to use your bed pad when it is cold out

All in all I love my ENO. There are plenty of other companies to buy this product from and some are much less expensive.

JNeuser

Re: ENO Two Person Hammock
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
We have similar hammock made by Treehugger Hammocks( http://www.treehuggerhammocks.com/products.php?main_product_id=196& ) and love it. Very comfortable, light weight and is perfect when camping  on uneven or extremely wet (swampy) terrain so long as you have a couple decent trees to work with. Have also used it as a ground bivy. The wife and I slept together in it on a camping trip once. That was an interesting adventure.

Offline JeePerz

• The Candyman
  • Prepper
  • Take care, stay safe and Godspeed...
Re: ENO Two Person Hammock - Cross-post-review
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
START OF CROSS-POST (http://207.210.105.72/~halcon21/forum/index.php?topic=1085.0)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Initially, I had planned to make this thread a "full-review" and use pictures of the product while in use. However, the weather was not in agreement with my terms ... As such, I will have to replace pictures with words, when it comes to describing outdoors usage of the product.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A week ago -or so- I received a little box -from a member on the Dirttime forum that wishes to remain anonymous, in order to evaluate for my own "consumption"-, inside which were two little stuff sacs measuring a total hardly over 8"x8" and weighing ~2 pounds ... My first thought was "I'm more than 6' tall and well over 200 pounds ... THIS AIN'T GONNA FIT ME, LET ALONE HOLD ME!"

One of those two items was the ENO - Doublenest hammock (right), while the second was the ENO - SlapStrap (left).

I'll try to divide the review as follows for both products (A and B)...
1) Specifications
2) First impressions
3) Pictures
4) Field use (narrative)

5) Mods -for hammock only-
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A-1) Let's start with the ENO SlapStraps ... The outside tag said "100% Nylon, hand made in Indonesia". It weighed in at ~10 ounces and are made out of Nylon webbing -the flat type, not the tubular type-. One inch wide and 88 long, they are rated at 200 pounds each -400 combined-. Just thought it was noteworthy to mention that the sewn on tag, on the straps, said "made in Vietnam" ...

A-2) At first glance they seem to be tough -machine sewed in a triple stitch style pattern- and lightweight, in addition to being relatively easy to use -sort of a slipknot type system-.

A-3) Here are some photo-descriptions ...

SlapStrap's stuff pack tag

SlapStrap tag (a)

SlapStrap tag (b)

As you can see the anchors are placed on alternating sides of the strap

Detail of the "anchor" (side view)

Detail of the "anchor" (top view)

Detail of the end of the strap -both ends were "terminated" alike, however one is a ~10" loop while the other is ~3" (side view)

A-4) Finding trees that are exactly the length of your hammock will be "almost" impossible, so some sort of "ladder" is "almost" always needed. This is exactly what the SlapStrap does! One end goes around the tree's trunk, while the other part slides through the end-loop, towards the general direction of the other tree -that is to be used to tie the hammock between- ... and Voila! you're all set ... However! It will not be as easy for trunks that are wider than your "hug".

(Tip: One can use a pocket knife/hawk to "stab/pec" the tree - ever so lightly- and use the "stabber" to temporarily hold the end loop while you go around the tree ...)

Now the hammock itself!

B-1) Weighing in at ~22 ounces, it is entirely made out of Nylon -I'm sure it had a technical name, but I have yet to figure it out-. Folded into it's "attached" pack it measures about 4"x4" x5" tall. Once out and about thought it's a generous ~120" long with ~80 inches at the widest part.

B-2) The material was soft to the touch and came with two -steel- carabiners. Sewn with nylon threading, the triple stitches were not overly tight, nor too loose. The generous cut seemed to be, ample enough to wrap around me twice in both directions! All in all a very well finished product ...

However at the time, two things just did not click in my mind ... One, were the "sharp" closure carabiners and the second was the rope holding the edges together ...

B-3) Picture time ...

Both ends of the hammock are "terminated" in the same manner, a thick rope and a Steel carabiner.

The sharp ends on the carabiner pulled a few strands of the fiber out of the SlapStrap ... Nothing really compromising with respect to integrity.

You can really feel the sturdiness of the hammock once you lay your fingers across the stitches!

The "sew folds" determine the which way is up and which is down, make sure to have the ply on the inside of the hammock.

B-5) One of the problems that I encountered was wind and rain ... The "generous" cut of fabric mentioned above turned the edges into a nuisance at night ... The flapping motion and sounds made by it being "stroked" by the wind were annoying to say the least! Plus the fact that these edges, were rustled open during the night, made for a situation where the hammock was turned into a water collection receptacle ... But that was a problem easily overcome with a few "sticky" Velcro -loop and hook- patches. I spaced out 11 0f them, about 10" apart on the edge of the fabric.

One might also want to switch the carabiners for "softer" and lighter ones ...

Now for the "field" feedback, I was up one "short" night and decided to try this thing out ... The roof of my building boasts a tennis court, with a steel structure that stretches a net supposed to prevent "balls" from going all over the neighborhood. I strung up the hammock between two of this structure's pillars, on one corner.

Needless to say that atop an ~20 story building, wind IS an issue! But then rain decided to join in on the parade and that made it even more of a challenge!

At the time, it was not raining and there was not a cloud in the sky, as far as I could tell. I had laid my survival/reflective "blanket" -sunny side up- on the bottom and upon that my DIY-wool-sleeping-bag/tube. With the fleece jacket i was wearing rolled up under my head I closed my eyes and ... Wham! -I must have went asleep right there and then- ... I then woke up ~four hours later at ~2am, because of the flapping sounds made by the nylon material and the fact that rain was now pouring into the hammock! NOT the best situation to be in on any given night! I eventually "wussed-out" and turned back into my warm bed after a nice shower. (End of story, you can go back to your normal lives now ...)

Moral of the story ... It's not water-proof and you will need a tarp to go with it! <- I learned that the "hard" way ...

But other than that ... It's WAY too comfortable, easy to set up, light to pack, dries in a jiffy and for the price advertised on some sporting sites in addition to everything else mentioned above ... I would definitely recommend it!

Regards and tennis balls,
JP

NB: Comments are welcome!
PS: Comments on my "wussing-out" are not!  :P

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

END OF CROSS-POST

I Also wanted to add that, It's much more efficient -multiple uses- to pack a survival/reflective blanket, than a bed pad. Some even can serve as a ripstop wear-area for any potentially sharp objects you have in the hammock with you, including your backpack's furniture and so ...

As for the price tag, the cheapest retailer I could find were these ... ~$10 less ...

http://www.basegear.com/eagles-nest-doublenest-hammock.html
http://www.basegear.com/eagles-nest-outfitters-singlenest.html

Regards,
JP