Author Topic: North Dakota - The Peace Garden State  (Read 3671 times)

Kara

North Dakota - The Peace Garden State
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:08:24 PM »
Anyone else here from the Peace Garden State?

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
Re: North Dakota - The Peace Garden State
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
*wavewave!*  Me!  Me!  Representin' the former Lake Aggasiz flood zone, greetings from the Red!

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:22:44 PM »
Me, in the NE corner of the state. Sleeting right now, no snow yet.

Kara

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
Ah, the NE corner... I used to live in Pembina many many moons ago.

Just sleeting there now...I hope it doesn't get any worse for you. We got truckloads of snow yesterday, and now the schools are closed here in Minot.  You know it's deep when the schools finally close in North Dakota!

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »
Only about 11/2 inches here, but ice under that. Unlike a real preper I'm not realy ready for winter yet. I'm in Cavalier.

Callmeacynic

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »
Ahh, North Dakota.  I loved my 6 years living in Grand Forks!  But not sure I could take the winters in my old age.  My knees don't like balmy Colorado!

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »
North Dakota's state slogan should be, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I've lived here all my life,except for four years in the USAF. There's nothing like shoveling snow for a hour or so to whip you into shape. Looks like I have 2 or 3 inches to move yet today.

Kara

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
We got just a little bit of snow in Minot today, and then it warmed up and melted...blech!

Word has it that we are going to get blasted with arctic air this weekend. Good think we caulked and painted the window frames this fall.

I do hope you guys stay nice and toasty warm!

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »
Is anyone else getting a little tired of snow storms every weekend? We're upto over 35 inches of snow this year in the NE. Oh well 20 below keeps the riff raff out.

Kara

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »
lol...that's absolutely true. I keep reminding myself of the low crime rate every time we have heavy snow like this. I don't know what our total accumulation is here, but it can't be too far from what you have on the Eastern side. Driving around town is like driving through a big white canyon....if we get too much more, I can't imagine where we'll put it.

Yeah, it's getting old, and it's only just the beginning of January. It reminds me a lot of the winter of 96-97 before The Flood. It's a little scary that way. I hope we don't have a sudden thaw like we did that year. I lived at GFAFB during the last blizzard (Hannah) and then when the flood hit. Ouch.... I don't want to ever see anything like that again as long as I live.

jrswenson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
Also here in the Red River Valley. Currently the weather is looking better. You can flip a coin as to where it's going from here though.

Is there any kind of get together that happens with the region things? That would be nice.

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
Man, just when I thought winter might be on the wane, below zero and a storm. I'm just glad I'm not in Fargo. Not much here, just blowing around making driving a little tougher, nothing like it is south. I talked to my brother last night. Its going to be 80 in TX today.

jrswenson

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
I live in Fargo. It was fun. Tuesday was a great snow day. No one was out doing anything. Winds hitting 45mph. I've lived here my entire life and am still amazed that people settled this area. I can only imagine what that was like in a single room sod house.

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »
Hard headed Norwegians.

Kara

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
<<<raises hand>>>

I resemble that.

However, I've told my husband that I am not really hip in the idea of living here when were old. I'm 40, and the cold winters make my joints hurt already. I'm thinking a nice southerly bugout location for the winter would suit me just fine.

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
Is everyone along the Red ready for the flood?  I read today that the southern part of the Red is expected to flood around March 27-31, and the northern part around April 11-14.  I am so ready for this.  BRING IT ON, Mother Nature!

Offline ND Roamer

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
Hello,

I am new to the group.  I have a farm just south of Valley City and work in Fargo.

Kara

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
Welcome!

How are you faring with all of what Old Man Winter is dishing out, not to mention the flood issue? I hope this note finds you high and dry....

Offline ND Roamer

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 03:30:36 PM »
It has not been easy, but I have stayed drive.  Monday and Tuesday I had to deal with some overland flooding at the farm in VC.  The last few days I have been throwing sand bags for as many hours as possible.  I finished up about 2:30 today and now I am feeling very old.

It is great to see how the community has risen to TSHTF situation we have had around here.  At this point it looks like we made the race to the finish line.  Now we just wait to see if the hard work paid off.  I know a beer or a bottle of wine will be manditory tonight.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
We have a real situation on our hands here in Fargo. Here's the background ad an update

Over the winter, we've had more than 5 feet of snow. Two weeks ago we had an early thaw, temps in the forties, and all that snow started melting. The Red River of the North that flows north, dividing ND and MN is flooding. Flood stage is 18 feet - the current level broke the all-time record last night at 40.68 feet (1897 IIRC) and rising.

Over last weekend, we got rain, almost an inch in places. Then, on Monday, as flood containment efforts were under way (temporary levees and dikes, sandbagging, etc.), we got a blizzard with another 5-8" snow, winds in the forties, temps in the teens overnight, twenties in the day, and generally making everyone's lives more miserable.

This morning there was a minor breach of the dike, and a small section of Fargo (100 homes or so) was mandatory evacuated. Most of Moorhead in MN has been evacuated east of 8th Ave which is a major N-S line in Moorhead.

The crest is predicted at around 43 feet sometime tomorrow. The rise has slowed down due to the cold, so they are now saying maybe tomorrow night. The crest is due to last for up to a week, which will stress the heck out of the temporary dikes.

Offices and stores in town are closed, even my work site which is well away from the flood zone. The city wants all non-essential vehicles off the road as 10,000 National Guardsmen are being brought in to replace or augment the exhausted volunteers who have been working since last week. The NG will be moving large volumes of dirt and sand to help shore up what's in place and building backup dikes and levees just in case.

Millions of sandbags have been filled and placed. In addition, Hesco Concertainers are being used - these are the same giant metal baskets being used in rapidly deployed fortified positions in Iraq and Afghanistan - wire and fabric cages filled with rocks and sand and then stacked up to form a wall. We had over 35,000 feet of these loaned by the NG last weekend.

Some areas south of Fargo (upstream - rivers run north here) have flooded and the people evacuated. Thankfully, no deaths as yet. Hospitals have been evacuated to other facilities in ND and MN. Schools will be closed next week regardless.

I live in the county west of Fargo. The local river flooded a few days back and has in fact already crested. The community was diked after the '97 floods and there are nothing but farmlands west and north, so the water has spread out over the farmlands and the town dikes are secure for now. Traveling across county roads is like driving across a causeway - nothing but water to either side. I've heard that one of my GOOD roads is closed due to water on the road. Some areas of the county are being evacuated as well as a precaution. Some roads are closed, some county areas are also being evacuated. For the moment, things are holding.

We are in serious need of prayers to keep this water at bay.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
Hope you guys are faring well up there with all the flooding.
Our prayers are with you.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:45:37 PM by khristopher23 »

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
I will be praying for you all in ND, MN, and Winnipeg!  I was stationed in Minot for the last big Red River flood and beat feet over to Grand Forks to help sand bag his home.  Unfortunatly the dike broke and it turned into a salvage mission. 

Take care and Good Luck! 

Berserker Prime

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
Hey guys!  Now that the water's receded a bit, I wanted to check in and see how everyone survived the flood.  It kind of feels weird to go home after work instead of going to sandbag. :)

Everyone ready for round two?!

Offline MTguy

• Prepper
    • Ultimatehomestead.com
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 08:26:58 PM »
Flood Warnings here in Morton County (Mandan) today.  I was out in the country looking for land today and roads all over were washed out.

Minotbob

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »
I have a home SE of Minot but I'm living in Taiwan.....for another 576 days until I retire.

Kara

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 06:05:55 AM »
Congrats on your upcoming retirement! living in Taiwan as opposed to Minot must be quite a culture shock...What's it like there?

Offline Plainsman

• Prepper
    • Plainsman's Cabin
Minot...Fargo...
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
Hi all!

I grew up west of Minot and am currently living in Fargo.  The wife and I have discussed potential home purchase sites and are hoping to find something 15-30 miles outside of Fargo, on the ND side!  I plan on visiting this forum quite a bit in the future!

Kara

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 05:08:48 AM »
Hi, Plainsman!

Nice to see another North Dakotan here!

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 06:03:27 AM »
Welcome indeed, Plainsman. Lovely area out west of Minot. I started out in the far SW corner, outside Hettinger.

I currently live 10+ miles due west of Fargo. One word of warning about this locale - it is flat like you never seen flat before.The only elevation is the landfill in West Fargo!  ;D

Let me know when you're going to be in the area looking.

Offline bladesmith

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
I grew up in the Badlands just north of Amidon, now i live in eastern MT but i get back to the Motherland quite reqular.