Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Show Discussions, Fan Mail and Topic Suggestions

Vote for Your Favorite "If I Wanted to Save America Video"

<< < (5/7) > >>

Oil Lady:
I'm torn. I find Dene B.'s video compelling with the choice of music and the well-edited visuals. And yet I was deeply moved by the impact of the very skillfully employed word generator program used by mozartsgokart.

I still can't decide.

Part of me feels like Dene B's video is more YouTube-ish and thus could reach a wider audience.

I also am wondering if the word generator program might be an automatic turnoff for a lot of viewers who just aren't into seeing a flurry of words flashed at them. I loved the word generator, but then again I am a writer. And words are the clay from which a writer sculpts his masterpiece, so I get extra jazzed about words as a general rule. But I am also a former school teacher, and one of the most important things I learned in college was that not all students in a classroom (or not all grownups surfing YouTube) can tolerate having to plod through written text, so words can be a total turnoff for some people. And yet it was just SOOO cool!   By writing out the entire text of his speech with such dynamism, it elevated Jack's declaration of "If I Wanted to Save America," right up there with someone else's more famous declaration which was "I Have a Dream." It leant an impact to Jack's words, drove home their meaning.

So torn.

I guess maybe in the end I shouldn't be trying to judge this on which one I think will have a better impact on others, but instead which one had a better impact on ME. 

mozartsgokart:
For clarification the program we used is Maya.  We have been using it for the last 10 years at a local animation studio in Buffalo, NY.  Nothing about our animation is auto generated.  Its all done with purpose and by hand, frame by frame.  If your interested in a free 3d program google a program called "Blender".  Your only limitation is your imagination..

If you like the style and flow search for "kinetic type" in youtube.  There are a bunch of really good videos to inspire you.

mozartsgokart:

--- Quote from: Oil Lady on May 24, 2012, 07:43:45 PM ---
... one of the most important things I learned in college was that not all students in a classroom (or not all grownups surfing YouTube) can tolerate having to plod through written text, so words can be a total turnoff for some people. And yet it was just SOOO cool!   By writing out the entire text of his speech with such dynamism, it elevated Jack's declaration of "If I Wanted to Save America," right up there with someone else's more famous declaration which was "I Have a Dream." It leant an impact to Jack's words, drove home their meaning.

--- End quote ---

This hits the nail right on the head!  The videos really can speak to two audiences.  We knew ours would appeal to about half and probably alienate the other.  The fast motion does turn some people off.  Its more the "in" thing to do now, fast cuts and lots of motion.  It helps keeps the new generation interested.  Younger people can process information faster and faster. (have you watched them play video games!)

While doing the layout it was always on our mind to really hammer this message of not "if i want to save America" but "I want to save America"  If you watch closely you will see that message start to emerge more and more as our video plays.  Its subtle and not in your face but does become noticeable.

TexasGirl:
Oil Lady,

I understand what you are saying.  With the word video, I found myself thinking more about what was being said, the message.  With pictures, there was a little distraction of the mind as unique frames came up.  But that could just be the old photographer in me.

I did send out a link to the word video on an email list, and got several replies saying "Wow!"  It makes a case that both styles of video should be promoted to reach the varying audiences.

~TG

voodoo medic:
Congratulations Dene! I knew from the get go your video was going to be tough to compete with. You did an amazing job.

Jack,

Now that the voting has ended and we know which video we are going to promote, are we free to go forth and spread the word? As mozartsgokart mentioned, are we still free to make our videos public as well to help spread the gospel of TSP?

Thanks,
Voodoo Medic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version