Author Topic: Goat Dog's "at Gunpoint" thread / question  (Read 5474 times)

Offline footpad

• Survivor
Goat Dog's "at Gunpoint" thread / question
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
Goat Dog,

I comend you on how you handled the situation and the driver of the other vehicle.

I live in texas and during both of my concealed carry classes, they stress that you should never use it as a threat and only produce your firearm when you are ready to use it.

-of course situtation and common sense determine action, i would not want to put my life at risk, but i have always wondered about this. i would much rather have handled the situation the way you did verses just shooting the guy.

any thoughts?  am i misunderstanding the legal difference between detaining vs. threatening someone?

thanks

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: Goat Dog's "at Gunpoint" thread / question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »
Goatdog is pretty busy right now.  It might be a while before he responds, but he will.

Goatdog62

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
I am busy, but try to check in at least a couple times a week.

Things like this are a judgment call. It is possible that he wouldn't have ran me over if I hadn't pointed a gun at him. Only he knows for sure. The courts are pretty clear on this, and I have been in court hundreds of times as a witness, and in Federal Court twice as a defendant for wrongful death. I won everytime it mattered.

For the briefest of moments, I was in fear for my life during this particular instance. I didn't think about drawing my weapon, it came out as a reaction that I have had the misfortune of developing over 30+ years because of circumstances that I would rather not repeat.

As for my detention of him after I ordered him out of the car and I was no longer in imminent danger; it was my judgment that a drunk, obviously reckless, individual should no longer be free to cause more harm that particular evening. Would I have shot him if he'd got up and ran away? No, he was no longer a threat to me. But if he was dumb enough to lay there and await the arrival of police...who am I to deny him the privilege of an Tennessee jail?

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
Man, I drank the GoatDog kool-aide in the parking lot of a Books-a-Million about a year ago. If you did it brother, then damnit, I say it was the right thing to do.  ;D

Goatdog62

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »
You're just making sure we share a sleeping bag at TGW.

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
Don't tell my wife.  ;)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Wait a second. . .I thought that what happens at TGW stays at TGW.

Have the rules changed?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
Man, I drank the GoatDog kool-aide in the parking lot of a Books-a-Million about a year ago. If you did it brother, then damnit, I say it was the right thing to do.  ;D

Dude, even if it was yellow, it wasn't kool-aid.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
Wait a second. . .I thought that what happens at TGW stays at TGW.

Have the rules changed?
Well, we're operating on that principle....buuuut, since TGW hasn't actually happened yet, it's all still a bit theoretical.

Oh, & in case you haven't heard...The first rule of TGW is, we don't talk about TGW. :dev:

....as all good threads should be

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:19:47 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »
What's TGW?

As far as GD goes - having grown up around guns (L.E. family) I never considered having to shoot someone until I joined the coast guard. Until then I considered how guns were dangerous and only to be handled with the buddy system with mom or dad, as none of us trusted any of my friends to handle firearms. We were approved to handle all the pellet guns on earth, but no actual firearms, and if I was ever caught with a bb gun and no glasses on, that would have changed in a heartbeat.

At this point, even 9 years down the line from my military/L.E. exposure, I can only say that I am glad I've never been in that kind of a situation. I have a knack for keeping my cool in exceptional circumstances, but that's not something you WANT to test. Hat's off to GD for the rest of time, and I pray he can sleep well at night given his experiences. The specific incident with the fellow who tried to plow him down - the guy deserved whatever humiliation/fear came from being detained at gunpoint. He had presented himself as a clear and present danger, and even if he wasn't behind the wheel anymore he had already expressed intent to exercise deadly force, so his was toast until he was handcuffed as far as I'm concerned.

Just my .02 ;-)

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
What's TGW?

We don't talk about that ::)

TW