Author Topic: Modern Survivalist Focus  (Read 64920 times)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: Modern Survivalist Focus
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »
Coldhaven:

I have been enjoying your latest posts very much. You have a positive, upbeat, constructive focus that is very calming.

I am new here, but you (and some of the other mods) have made it a very interesting learning experience.

Tamarah

Any way that I can help others in this community makes me happy. Thank you for your kind words.  :)

Offline Family Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »
Thanks CH. I was needing a check-up from the neck up this am. 

Offline Andy44

• Prepper
    • Self Sufficiency World
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 06:17:06 AM »
Fantastic post ColdHaven. You have a great way with words!

dtwalters

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »

There are many distracting things happening to this nation and this world right now.... Focus begins with concentrating on the things that are happening rather than what could happen.  Focus on...prepping for those emergencies and personal tragedies that are most likely to occur...Politics, religion, conspiracies, scandal...they do not matter. Your family matters. Preparing and becoming free of the systems is the single most effective way to protect your family and yourself... We prepare because at our heart we love.

The articulation of this philosophy is very comforting to me, a new prepper. I have a tendency to become overly anxious because of current events and especially because of conversations with one individual who is a very convincing alarmist. It helps relieve that anxiety by preparing for the things that are "most likely to occur" knowing that I am also preparing for whatever may come. Thanks for that!

DTW

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »
dtwalters:

Coldhaven hit the nail on the head with his post.

+1 to you for having Johnny Cash on your avatar.

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
+1 from me too, Coldhaven.  I read this in the wake of Jack's broadcast and I have to admit that I've let fear and anger get the best of me the last few months.  Not too long ago I came to the same conclusion you so eloquently put into words here, and it bears witness.  I'm a fighter by nature, but as I get older I realize that often the main battle is within; with my own distrust of people, my fear of the unknown, and my violated sense of justice.  I've had to let a lot of that go and enjoy the day as it is.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »

... I realize that often the main battle is ... my violated sense of justice.  I've had to let a lot of that go and enjoy the day as it is.

Coldfishgirl, that describes me to a tee.  +1.

I've seen some injustice with government close up and, quite honestly, I'm mad about it.  But I had to realize I can't change it and just need to prep to take care of me and my family. 

The more I prep, the more I feel a distance between the anger over the injustice and my everday life.  Prepping is calming and empowering.  I know that people will get what they deserve.  Unjust government officials will be unelected, driven out of office, or maybe even hiding out from angry people.  (I don't wish them to be dead, just out of office so they can't do bad things any more.)  You know the famous saying, "Living well is the best revenge."  When Nancy Pelosi is behind some gated community's walls with protesters outside, and I'm doing fine with my family at my BOL, that's "revenge."  No one gets hurt, but there is some justice.  And the "living well" part of the revenge is only possible through prepping. 

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
Speaking of injustice and government officials, the corruption is everywhere. Most folks think only big cities and important government officials are corrupt. Not so my friends. I have seen po dunk villages, towns, etc. that are awful. Villages with 250 people and the officials do whatever the heck they want and harass those who stand up to them. I am in a position to see first hand some of the corruption in county government and it stinks. I spoke out against it some years ago and it cost me a promotion and my integrity was questioned. Apparently I don't learn, cuz I manage to annoy county officials because I advocate for them to do the right thing. Fortunately for me, I do have a few folks who have gone to bat for me so I haven't lost my job and wth the economy the way it is, I am not willing to risk my job. I feel very conflicted about that decision. I have always been someone to stand up and say when something ain't right, but I also know I have to take care of myself first. 

Prepping has been an excellent way for me to focus on what I need to do, when I need to do it and feel like I have some power over "things." I have learned so much in this forum and I continue to read in all categories. I've printed out hundreds of pages of pdf files that have been recommended and started my folders of info. I love that everyone here is so friendly and the suggestions are FABULOUS! Taking control of what I can is empowering, which I already knew, but just needed a kick in the butt to get going.  :)

Offline MontanaBound

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »
dtwalters:

+1 to you for having Johnny Cash on your avatar.

I remember when I was about 12 my parents took me to a Johnny Cash concert in Butte Montana, all the lights were turned off except for a spot light on the American Flag. Johnny Cash started speaking......"I'm so glad we live in a country where we have freedom of speech and can burn our flag if we choose....."   Booing erupted from the audience. He spoke again " I'm also glad we live in a country where we have the right to bear arms......so I can shoot the S*B that tries to burn mine!

Offline 47jets

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »
Great Post

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
ColdHaven,

An elequently put post!

I have a slightly different take, but it still supports the jist of what you are saying;  There are indeed political, religious, and social worldviews and institutions that are anathema to human survival and, for that reason, they do merit situational awareness and concern. 

However, instead of being paralyzed by these worldviews and institutions and/or obsessively arguing or carping over them, they should prompt each one of us to double-down and prepare all the more to make our own individual lives better.  When we each think and act in a way to inhance and improve our own individual lives and that of our friends, relatives, and loved ones, antipodes of human survival have that much less foothold.

Whatever differences we all may have, I am glad to have this Forum here as a source of both learning and inspiration.  I thank Jack for creating it and I thank you, ColdHaven, and all the rest of the Moderators for making this Forum a great place.  Keep up the great work!

:)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »
Coldhaven,

Great post!!!

...but I must disagree on one point - everyone can do with some scandal in their lives from time to time!

::)

Keep up the thoughtful posts, shootin' straight, speakin' the truth, and ridin' well.

swanson

Offline jaegersapper

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
Outstanding post CH. Thanks for the azimuth check.

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »
You positive guys really piss me off.  Don't you realize how many problems our country is facing?  Who wants to spend so much wasted time with their family?  Focus Man!  A Tsunami could hit any moment.  Stop being so selfish.  Keep digging that bunker.  Store up your canned beans.  The black helicopters will be here any minute.  Stop being so sentimental.  Please start taking life a little more seriously.   ... Your post was cool and needed.  Thank you

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
The more I prep, the more I feel a distance between the anger over the injustice and my everday life.  Prepping is calming and empowering. 

Ahh, the zen of prepping...  ;D

This is indeed a great topic.  Kudos to everyone.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »
All very true and informative, There are many many things to look at, and many different things to prepare for. The biggest thing I fail to understand is how so many can be aware of the increasing problems facing all of us,  The continuing failure of those we elect to lead, or handle anything that happens  and so many continue to follow the masses, and don't bother to prepare at all. For years I have carefully tried to talk to and enlighten others  around me both, family and friends.  The immediate family of corse does not have much of a choice and have come around as looking back the 10 years  and seeing where we are now but, others out just a bit have no clew. At best I get a "Well I will just come to your House"

I guess it is just something I can not understand or get my head around.  I have worked at it now for well over 10 years, and finely given up. Now it is head for the BOl, with the immediate family and hunker down with the years of preps in a location that should offer safely for years.  It is just a shame that so many are so blind. and there does not seem to be any way to break through the naive  thinking shell. The really sad part is if and or when they figure out I was correct, and they arrive at my home they will only have the other non believers to help each other, And some of them are really good people.

Offline drag0nk1ng

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »
Great Post!! Deep and insightful and I will pass this along to all of those I am evangelising the virtues of prepping to.

Thank you for that!!

Offline JJS

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »
Hey,

Nice Job!! Just got off a phone call with my best friend speaking about the same thing you wrote about, really great to be reminded to keep our focus.

J

Offline Mick_K

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 03:30:51 AM »
That was exactly what i needed to read, thanks.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
CH - Don't know how I missed this thread at it's inception but it's awesome.  +1.

Your words are so right on and I agree our focus is to continue striving in our preparedness and not be distracted by all the world and media are throwing at us. And then sharing what we know with others even if it means exposing a little of who we are.

The revolution is you, as per Jack, is this very thing.  Thanks CH for the great post.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
Ill try this , the focus is to be ready, as ready as you can be .
I"m up front everyone in town and the area knows me and some of what i know and what they think i have.
Yet i know lots of small groups , they come to talk and ask questions if i know then i help, if i can't then i call someone
to ask if they will help . family's , clans, friends or groups.
  The grayman walks among us all he doesn't look big or mean no bumper stickers only shoots when no ones around.
 He buys in small lots and doesn't talk about it, shy or sly.
 We have miss the elderly and the knowledge that they had some of its gone forever. This is bad for all of us...
The old ones hold some of the best answers to the big problems.
        We are all survivalist ,weather its day to day or the long slow road.
                        Remember to smile, nod ,wave, and be friendly you never know who will be there to help you.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
Very good 4bull. +1 for you.

Offline g8tors09

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
Amen Sister!

Offline UrbanPrepping

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Urban Disaster and Survival Preparation and Sustainable Green Living
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 09:17:17 AM »
That's a good post, but I think this line needs some concentration.  It's important to note he didn't say "We are modern survivalists and we will help ourselves grow." I don't think isolationism has a part in modern survivalism.  I think as this modern survivalism scene continues to grow, it's going to take a much more favorable view of community involvement.  We all can't have this bunker down and stay hidden mentality.  I keep hearing the key to turning this situation around is becoming more self sufficient.  If we collectively do that in our communities, where the numbers can make a difference, we certainly won't need to isolate ourselves.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree, we will at some point But, When SHTF- We will Need to cooperate to survive, communities, small and midsized groups of people working together for the common good - The lone wolf mind set is not and has never been a survival technique...You will fail... I believe after the Intail shock of what ever may come, then we will have a renew cooperative life style.

The addage "Give man a fish and he eats for the day, teach him to fish and feeds himself everyday"  . We should plan for ourselves and loved ones, Hope that we can have some to share. How could anyone Turn away a family with children?

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
I'm glad I found this thread, even if it's 2 1/2 years old. It is good to remind ourselves that without a philosophy to serve as a binder, we are merely accumulators of stuff. Stuff alone will not make our life any easier or help us through whatever comes. History has shown that folks can "improvise, adapt and overcome" quite easily, given the proper mindset; and without that mindset, when hope is lost, no amount of equipment or supplies will allow them to prevail.

On May 30, 2009, I entered my sixth decade of life. It wasn't "things" that got me this far, rather, it was an attitude that no matter what, I would make it through. Battered- maybe, a little ragged around the edges- possibly, on my own two feet- definitely.

soupbone (+ another quarter decade)

Offline Victory1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »
victory1 :-[
I posted this Survival list on the Podcast Forum the other day, but I think I could have put it on a more appropriate list such as this one so I am re-posting it, sorry.

Survival List.

Be debit free.
Go to church. Believe in YOUR God.
Have your own private water source.
Live near like-minded people where God still plays a role in real life and be ready to protect them.
Align with people to share skills and labor. Better than money!!
Know who your friends are. Keep your friend’s close, your enemy’s closer and your guns closest.
Raise your own food. Know how to process it. Pressure canning preferred.
I have a 1979 non-computerized pickup. We also have bicycles, plus two motorcycles that get over 45 mpg.
Have a good chainsaw. Know how to use and repair it.
Have wood heat backup.
Have a solar/wind-up radio, have extra light bulbs, batteries, bee's wax candles and a way to make more.
Use non-hybrid garden seeds only. Save harvested seeds for next year and for bartering.
Have some guns and ammo HIDDEN.  Know how to use and repair. Have supplies needed for reloading.
Have a good security system. (Make it public, even if you DON'T have a Security system).
      (A good dog & a good gun is your BEST security system, let your feelings be known publicly).
Have 1 year of survival food at 1 good meal per day per person. 25-year shelf life.
Have medicine and First-Aid knowledge (books) plus medical supplies. Do NOT rely on the Internet.
Have the basic trade books. Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, tooling etc.
Have a lath, mill, welder and variety of hand tools if possible.
Collect & save assorted metal stock.
Learn engine repair, also any other skills that will benefit.
Have a good 6000 watt + gas generator. Will take care of water pump, freezer etc. (The essentials).
Have 100 gallons + of gas with additives for longevity
Have copies of important documents in a safe place.  (Sealed container in the ground, PVC is good).
Buy quality if possible.
Sharpen your outdoor survival skills.
Get skillful at bartering, worth more than money.
Have 6-month cash on hand. Use money as last resort, (if that will be worth anything)!!
Value all you learn by what you can earn.
Be willing to protect your own!!

My daughter is a doctor in San Diego. When it all goes south and IF she can get home she will be bringing emergency meds home by the bag full.  I ‘ve also been getting additional meds that she has perscribed.
      I am a retired Toolmaker and Process Engineer and have all the tools to make about anything and I can, which will help us if/when our economy goes in the crapper. Except for my wife, who is still working, we pretty much live like this. We raise two beef critters each year. We eat one and sell the other, plus venison and other wild game)!!
     For pistols I have a .380 Auto and a Colt 357 Mag/.38 Special. I also have a Browning .270  and a 22.250 Rifle both zeroed at 300 yds.  I handload for all my guns and have enough to handle any situation.  I also have a Browning 12 gage that I reload both shot and a killer sabot slug of my own design and also a Browning .22 rifle that shoots better than me. I have made 9 black powder flintlock guns (not Kits) and have about 15 lbs of powder and 200 lbs of lead.  I also have many different die sets for other calibers for barter value.
     I have a good Security System and a mean-ass dog. Couple that with my guns and my Viet Nam background, I wouldn't want to break into MY house. (people around here know that)!! If anyone ever wants any advice feel free to ask.

Offline wmillion34

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2012, 06:55:07 AM »
Very good post.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
You know...sometimes you read things you wrote years ago and it speaks to you like advice from someone else. Recently I have had many things going on: recently got married, working on adding to the family, attempting to move to a place we can homestead, stresses from work, and of course all the recent political drama.

I need to take my own advice. I have been kind of wigging out. I have been trying to rehabilitate myself from that in the last several weeks. I have been over saturated with so many stressors that I have not been focused. I have not been calm. I think I am getting back to normal,though. I am glad I came across this again.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
true words ColdHaven.  I used to keep a journal that I wrote in frequently as in more than once a day, whenever I had thoughts that wanted to be remembered.  Man, I can go back and read those and see how much I knew then and have forgotten. I need to do that again :)

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
+1 thanks
z