Community & Regional Connections > Region Seven

Winter camping

(1/3) > >>

Asatrur:
Now that the snow is falling in the high country, I want to start doing some Winter camping and am sending this out as an invitation for other CO folks to join in the fun.

Whereismymind:
 I am totally down for some winter wilderness training.. Where do we go ?

endurance:
One idea I have is a TSP hut trip to one of the 10th Mountain Division Huts.  Some are six or eight miles in and without XC skis it would be a long slog in, but others are just a couple miles in and can easily be hiked to with snowshoes.  The wife and I went in to Vance's Cabin a couple years ago and it was a hoot.  I've also done hut to hut trips from Harry Gates to Peter Estin huts (starting near the Double Diamond Ranch outside Basalt and coming out up behind Eagle (about 24 miles over three days with about 2,000' of climbing a day!).  Reservations can be a challenge this late in the game (unlikely to get a weekend, but mid-week stuff fills in last), but if there's enough of an interest, I'd be willing to take lead on booking a trip. 

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4404861509_6c4a166d3d_z.jpg[img]

I'd also be up for some snowshoeing and XC skiing, practicing back country winter survival skills (building snow caves, etc.), but honestly, I've probably spent my last night sleeping in a snow cave voluntarily.  In my mid-40s I choose not to be that cold and miserable unless I have to be. ;)  I've done a lot of playing around up on Berthoud Pass and Peru Creek (near Keystone) on the skis and would be happy to guide some day trips once we get a good snow base (probably after Thanksgiving).

Asatrur:
Awesome, some responses. As to where to go, there are loads of places on the front range. I live near Boulder, so I tend to camp just off the peak to peak, but it could be fun to see new places.

I think something short for getting into is better to begin with until we are all comfortable in backcountry again. I like setting up a basecamp and doing day trip.

Endurance,
Funny you mention snow caves, I find them warmer than tents once they are built of course.
Let's keep in touch.

I am taking the week of Thanksgiving off and if folks are willing, I could squeeze a day for some camping.

I love the huts, but they are expensive.

endurance:

--- Quote from: Asatrur on October 20, 2011, 02:21:00 PM ---Endurance,
Funny you mention snow caves, I find them warmer than tents once they are built of course.
Let's keep in touch.

I am taking the week of Thanksgiving off and if folks are willing, I could squeeze a day for some camping.

I love the huts, but they are expensive.

--- End quote ---
No doubt snow caves warmer than tents.  Without a doubt.  I just prefer huts. ;D

I might have commitments for Thanksgiving week, but I'll let you know.  I'd definitely be interested in stuff along the peak to peak, as well.  Even just going out to ski or shoe, build snow caves, and picnic in the woods is cool with me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version