Community & Regional Connections > Region Eight

Work in So. California, home is western Washington

(1/2) > >>

UnderTheRadar:
I work a couple hours south of Los Angeles, but home & family is 1000 miles north.  Right now a steady job is worth the travel.

Just wanted to say hi and see if there are any SoCal coastal people here.  Especially if you have sucessfully caught lobster without a boat or with a kayak.

UnderTheRadar

archer:
Welcome UnderTheRadar!

Gas-Mask:
Welcome....  Now, I'm not near the coast....   :-[ .

But I can say this...  Your bug out vehicle will be a Motorcycle!!!!!  If you ever need to head home, you will be able to cut through traffic.  Also, take a look at overland motorcycle forums/clubs for great info on how to set up your bike....   

Well, I guess your car will work for now....  Just keep it tuned and equipped...

Sorry, I've had a little too much caffeine... :o

Welcome.

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: UnderTheRadar on January 22, 2009, 11:27:26 PM ---I work a couple hours south of Los Angeles, but home & family is 1000 miles north.  Right now a steady job is worth the travel.

Just wanted to say hi and see if there are any SoCal coastal people here.  Especially if you have successfully caught lobster without a boat or with a kayak.

UnderTheRadar

--- End quote ---

Hey UnderTheRadar!  The Wilderness and I are about 45 minutes from the coast in Southern California.  I'm no expert lobster-catcher, but I DO know that fishing off the pier in our coastal communities (huntington beach, & seal beach in particular - and now that I think about it, I seem to remember that Santa Monica pier doesn't require a license either, but you should check into that, just in case) does not require a fishing license (as long as you actually take the fish on the pier, and don't go down to the beach to finish the fight), and the local fishermen & women are extremely friendly and helpful.  I'd hazard a guess that any one of them would be happy to share their knowledge with you, UTR, if you were bold enough to ask, and patient enough to deal with answers that are slow and a little bit broken.  Most of our fishers (not all, but most) don't speak English as their first language.  They're almost all immigrants from one non-English speaking country or another, but they will teach you what to fish, how to fish it, what bait to use, and when to do it if you're open minded enough to let them.  If you asked them to teach you to catch lobsters, they'd probably point you in the right direction, if nothing else.

n2light:
UTR,

I used to dive a lot around the Pennisula and Redondo Beach.  Pulled quite a few lobster night diving off Sapphire St. where it ends on the Esplande in Redondo Beach.  There is beach access between the condo/apts.  If you swim off the beach about 100 yards the bottom starts sloping off into the trench.  Got most of the bugs in 60-80 foot.  If you happen to be there when the squid are laying their eggs it looks like a white shag carpet.. ;D  There's halibut down there too.

Lunada Bay and Malaga Cove have some in shallow in the eel grass, however it's hard to find legal bugs and it's a hike to get to the water.

Check in with Dive 'n Surf in Redondo, sometimes they will part with secret spots.. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version