Author Topic: survival BOB bow.. would a kids bow work?  (Read 10855 times)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
survival BOB bow.. would a kids bow work?
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
I wonder whats a good bow for a packing situation where you want light weight, compactness, and enough power to take small game. I've been looking at those kid's compound bows thinking they might make a good pack bow though probably overkill as some kind of break down Indian bow might be better. Or a break down recurve bow like the Mongols used. I had a friend once that made a bow from pvc pipes one size inside another. It was fairly strong.

nelson96

Re: survival BOB bow.. would a kids bow work?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
My suggestion is if you don't want to pack something that will be pratical (effective) in a bow, pack a breakdown .22 and learn to build snares.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
My suggestion is if you don't want to pack something that will be practical (effective) in a bow, pack a breakdown .22 and learn to build snares.

Well, I guess this question was an alternative to that in the bow form.
Yes I like the Henry AR7 .22  I'm thinking there might be a recurve bow that can break down fairly compactly that would be effective. Just for forest bumming though I am not looking at killing anything much larger than a hog.

I did just notice a guy with a sling bow killing a hog. For this post I'm still looking at the regular bow, not crossbow or whatever. Indian, compound, recurve. I guess I'm just checking to see if there are any good known home made or store bought solutions.

Oh and my friend who made the pvc bow also made arrows from cane. They worked pretty darn well if I recall.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
a kids bow might not have a long enough pull for an adult to use properly. i have my brothers old compound bow from when he was 12, i can not shoot it well due to the pull being way to short for me.

Offline Entity

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
a kids bow may feel "sloppy" to an adult,   they are nifty to get used to the idea, but for real have-to-take-this-beast hunting... use a full draw takedown recurve. Some of them pack down nice and small, and they can be realitively light.

the only uses i see for a kids bow, is learning the physics before shooting for real, and if there are enough of them ( and warm bodies), advance denial ( where you are not shooting *at* a target, but into a volume of air in order to convince someone else not to enter that volume... This btw is one description of the value of archers in medieval times)

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
Rather than a kid's bow, I keep seeing this takedown recurve bow at Sportsman's Guide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/pse-stalker-recurve-bow.aspx?a=959329

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
A kids bow will probably not produce enough force behind the arrow to be an effective hunting tool...along with the issues of having a very short draw. Also...making a bow that is reliable, sturdy and will actually do the job is much much harder than it looks.

If you're looking for a light-weight, pack ready, unlimited ammunition weapon that can take down small game...Id suggest a nice slingshot. If I was hunting small game I'd probably rather have a slingshot and a bag of ball bearings than a bow tbh.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »
Rather than a kid's bow, I keep seeing this takedown recurve bow at Sportsman's Guide.

That one looks nice, and only 3 lbs. thanks for the recommendation

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
If you're looking for a light-weight, pack ready, unlimited ammunition weapon that can take down small game...Id suggest a nice slingshot. If I was hunting small game I'd probably rather have a slingshot and a bag of ball bearings than a bow tbh.

I think you are probably correct for game smaller than a hog, raccoon or beaver. 

Birds, squirrels, rabbits with sling sot. 

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »

That is a good choice.
Unfortunately, it only comes in 45 or 50 pound draw.

If you are new to archery, you want to start with a very light weight bow. (See my explanation in the Biginner Bow thread)

Flintttim mentioned a good bow in that thread too.

That would be the Samick Sage 62” Takedown at about $140.00 with extra limbs at $73.00 a set.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=2490X

Extra limbs are available from 25 pounds up to 60 pounds.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=2492X

This bow with a learning set of limbs (25 Pounds) and a hunting set of limbs would be my choice.

This is available from 3 Rivers Archery.

Remember that you will need arrows to match bow weight.

Steve

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 01:02:37 AM »
I've never even seen one of these, but if it worked out the way it looks like it would. It'd be the cats behind. http://libertyarchery.com/

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
I've never even seen one of these, but if it worked out the way it looks like it would. It'd be the cats behind. http://libertyarchery.com/

hmm, interesting at only 2.3 lbs, that would make it the lightest.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
hmm, interesting at only 2.3 lbs, that would make it the lightest.

yeah thats a cool bow... at first glance I thought it would have crap for a draw weight... up to 80#. nice.

real pricey though at nearly $900

not sure if it can easily break down and reassemble though. even at 21" it still probably wont fit properly in most packs.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »
Practice practice practice! shooting SMALL game with a bow is no walk in the park. I'd much rather have a 17/22 or airgun for small game, it's a walk in the park. Surgical tubing is quite lightweight. A slingshot is about 10 ounces for a generic marksman wrist rocket.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
If you won't go much larger than a hog, a handgun will work fine.  A .22 if you want the ability to pack a LOT of ammo, a .38/.357 if you're looking at some big, mean sumbitches.  Hell, a properly made air pistol and hunting pellets could handle very small game like squirrels and rabbits.

That Sammick Sage is a NICE beginner's recurve, but remember, in addition to the bow, you have to carry arrows, a stringer, etc.  That weight adds up fast.

And how populated are your normal areas of travel?  Walking around in sight of a lot of people with a bow in hand would earn you a lot of weird looks.  And if you expect to need to use it on critters, at least in any sort of defensive capacity, you'll have to have it in hand, preferably with an arrow already nocked.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 01:24:48 AM »

And how populated are your normal areas of travel?  Walking around in sight of a lot of people with a bow in hand would earn you a lot of weird looks.  And if you expect to need to use it on critters, at least in any sort of defensive capacity, you'll have to have it in hand, preferably with an arrow already nocked.

That just made me think, wild animals have been having to deal with humans defending/attacking with pointed objects and missile weapons long before gunpowder. However I'm sure guns have given them some real respect for humans.

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 03:44:14 AM »
+1 on the Samick Sage - it's a great looking bow - I've been thinking of getting one (according to other Archery forums the limbs supposedly would fit my Martin Jaguar - so more choice in draw weight... I'd could just by the limbs separate - but it's so damn pretty)

I do love my Martin Jaguar take down - it's tough, has the options to add accessories (I just have a whisker biscuit and a bow fishing kit) and it has a great feel. 
It's not all that heavy and can pack up to fit in my backpack (the arrows are of course too long for that)
Mine is the 45# @ 28" (I draw to around 33" - I just buy arrows full length, yay gorilla length arms lol) 

I've heard of issues like limbs delaminating after a short time and the original string failing on the Jaguar - but I'd say those are the rare exceptions to a great bow.
My limbs are nice and straight, and the string is fine (and lets face cheap and easy to replace)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 07:58:32 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213SMFO/ref=asc_df_B00213SMFO2221682?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00213SMFO&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12590610441804615375&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

martin jaguar $150  55#  pack weight 2.7 lbs not bad..

does take down mean you can easily detach and re-attach the limbs? And this doesn't affect accuracy and shooting, unless you don't attach them back properly I suppose.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
I can't find it now but I just saw a youtube video where a guy had a compact sling bow kit with 3 arrows. The arrows broke into 3 parts each. It was home made.

Anyone done this with arrows? made them a 3 section break down screw together arrow?

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »
Curtis the Archer has a post on the hoodlums forum about takedown arrows.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
I was wondering about this myself this very week. After seeing the responses here, I think the kids bow isn't the best idea for this. The pse on sportsmansguide looked about the best option for the money. Its a take down, and probably breaks down to a smaller size than the youth bow, unless it too is a takedown. And at only twice to three times the price of a youth bow, you get more portability and in all likely hood better quality, easier maintainence and parts replacement, and above all power and range. That pse is going to be more powerfull throughout the youth bows entire range and then have more range on top of it.
   I would only rely on the bow for defense when it was in hand and the threat was either to fast to go for my gun, or  gun was unavailable, or the threat was slow enough that I could get the bow ready and I didn't want yo use a gun. But to include it in a prep kit or a bob that's part of a prep kit, it is great for intentional hunting, especially when ammo is low or you want to be quiet or the game available isn't appropriate for your firearm. You can fish with a bow, and not with a gun. (Anyone who says spear gun gets slapped for multiple and obvious reasons) bows are kind of useful in the way that Jack talks about a shotgun being useful. Its all about versitility, you can take birds and small stuff, fish, defend from animals and people in the right situations, you can take anything you are likely to hunt with the right bow and the right ammo for it. You can use it for signaling. Fitness and entertainment can also come from bow. Its not a bad idea to get a bow and learn to use it and integrate it into your preps. But don't just BOB it. Use the darn thing, and maybe more than one so that maybe I could have one that I had trained with in my bob. It probably wouldn't be a kids bow though, unless that's all I could afford. Or I was getting it for a kids prepkit and teaching the the use and responsibilities of it. That all being said, I like the idea even if it is a kids bow. It beats a sharp stick. Well it is kinda a sharp stick in a way, you know what I mean. If you think you are likely to need it and be able to use and carry it, then sure, if not, then find another solution. Just me thinking aloud again.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »
Dave Canterbury has a couple of good videos on "The Common Man's Bow" on Youtube

Testing a Common Man's Survival Bow (Kid's Bow)

Common Man Self Reliance Bow #2

And I've looked at the Xpectre Super Compact Take-Down Nomad Survival Bow and Arrow, but I haven't seen many reviews on it.