Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Industry Reviews

Why Dollar Tree is good for preppers

<< < (3/11) > >>

Westonian:
I built a medical kit from supplies purchased at Dollar Tree last weekend, including one box of every medicine in the medicine aisle, as well as band-aids, waterproof tape, gauze, rubbing alcohol and other first aid gear. The total cost was around 25 bucks, which considering the amount of medicine in each container was a good deal. I told my wife who is not really a prepper about my medical kit, and she just said 'Oh, good for you." Then the next day I saw the box was open and I asked her: "What did you use from the kit?" She said: "I didn't use anything, but that kit is impressive. It has everything." I smiled, took my chalk to the board, and made one dash under 'Convert.'

RPZ:
No quarrel with OP in general. But avoid those Sunbeam brand batteries. They are very short lived. And as far as batteries go, save your money and buy the Energizer Ultimate Lithium "8x". They are pricey up front, but have a long shelf life with little loss of power, and will far outlast cheaper alkalines. You do not want battery frustration when the chips are down.

November Foxtrot:

--- Quote from: Westonian on February 09, 2012, 12:15:27 AM ---I built a medical kit from supplies purchased at Dollar Tree last weekend, including one box of every medicine in the medicine aisle, as well as band-aids, waterproof tape, gauze, rubbing alcohol and other first aid gear. The total cost was around 25 bucks, which considering the amount of medicine in each container was a good deal. I told my wife who is not really a prepper about my medical kit, and she just said 'Oh, good for you." Then the next day I saw the box was open and I asked her: "What did you use from the kit?" She said: "I didn't use anything, but that kit is impressive. It has everything." I smiled, took my chalk to the board, and made one dash under 'Convert.'

--- End quote ---

I did the exact same thing.  I also got duct tape,  zip lock bags,  a dozen or so flashlights,  fire kit stuff like cotton balls,  vaseline,  aluminum foil etc. Although the batteries are crap the 9v are good for the steel wool fire trick.  I stop at dollar tree to fill up my edc food,  slim jims, trail mix etc. Bottled water etc. The possibilities are endless really. 

reefmarker:

--- Quote from: gundog on January 25, 2012, 04:32:28 AM ---I believe the opposite is actually true. I have read that bleach does not last much past 6 months.....although I am no expert.

--- End quote ---
according to the clorox web site if it is stored between 50 and 70 degrees F it will degrade about 20% per month.  It starts out around 6% sodium hypochlorite.  They actually put more sodium hypochlorite into the bleach in the summer to offset this degredation due to temp.

GPSpokane:
Check all the $1 stores in your area, even the same chain will have a different selection.
My wife is a Nurse and so we have been getting a lot of medical supplies, One store has a lot more then the others so anytime we are in the area we have to stop in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version