Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Keeping situational awareness while driving

(1/5) > >>

ejsandstrom:
First a short example.

Four nights ago my wife called some what in a panic. She was driving home and thought a car was following her. She said she thought the car following her was alittle strange, but didn't really know any thing other than a feeling. She wanted to find out the hours at a local store, she turned into an area that is one of those place where you have to be going there to get there. You don't just take this road trying to get some other place. She said that the car stopped by the entrance to the road. She pulled up to the store and started to drive again. She knows her way around that part of town and there is a goat path that runs behind the store that you really cant see until you exit onto the road. She said that as soon as she got onto the road the car turned around and fell in a few cars back. This is where she called me. I kept her on the phone and jumped into my truck. I gave her the route to drive home. She said the car was a few blocks back. We live kinda outta town and have to be headed some where in that area to be going that way. I had her slow down and put her turn signal on a few times just to make sure, you they would slow down and put the signal on. She wouldn't turn and just keep going.  There is a longer road that is dead straight with a few hills, I headed towards her. As she passed me I stopped kinda blocking most of both lanes put my flashers on and jumped out and popped the hood. The car she described pulled up about 10 seconds later. I told the Mrs as soon as she passes me to get on it and put lots of distance between us and get the neighbor, who is a sheriff and send him my way. I had my lights on pointing into his lane, the guy slowed down stopped a few seconds, and then got out. I could see him but he couldn't see me yet. He was an older guy of about 65, and kinda looked like a farmer type in overalls. I told him that I swerved to avoid a deer and the truck stalled. I asked him if he lived close and other general "making conversation" questions as I tugged on plug wires and such. After a few seconds he said he was going to go a different way home. Got in his car and drove off. A couple of minutes later the neighbor pulled up, I gave him a brief description and a licence plate number. He looked up the plate number and it was registered to a woman from a town about 30 miles away. He told me that unfortunately there was really nothing to persue and just keep an eye peeled.

Now It wasn't necessarily the best way to handle it. but the wife was paniced and I made a snap decision. It turned out OK and the word has spread to the neighbors.

Does any one else speak to their spouse about what to do if something like this happens? What if its is just you in the car? We don't really have much of a local PD and they close up shop kinda early. Now she is really carefull about getting boxed in at lights and other defencive driving habits. I have been telling her forever but some times it takes a scare to actually realize the dangers. 

archer:
I once got a speeding ticket from a feeling.
I was heading home one night after working late on a Thursday. It was after 9pm and on a lonely stretch of wide open, hilly highway. I was in my little sportscar heading home. A panel van came up next to me and paced me for a few miles even when I speeded up/slowed down a little. This was suspicious, made me very aware that no one was nearby.
So when I got to the next hill top I gunned it. I was doing 100 when I reached the bottom of the hill. The panel van could not keep up with me.
But the CHP officer had no problem with his radar gun and I was pulled over. He asked me how fast I was going and I told him about 100. He said since I had been truthful he'd only write me up for going 5 over the limit (which saved me a lot of hassle and money). I was glad to see the panel van pass the CHP and myself as I sat there.

I learned to watch traffic when I rode a motorcycle to/from work for a few years. Keep aware of your surroundings all the time!

ColdHaven:

--- Quote from: ejsandstrom on November 11, 2008, 11:39:29 AM ---Does any one else speak to their spouse about what to do if something like this happens? What if its is just you in the car? We don't really have much of a local PD and they close up shop kinda early. Now she is really carefull about getting boxed in at lights and other defencive driving habits. I have been telling her forever but some times it takes a scare to actually realize the dangers. 

--- End quote ---

No, but I am thinking about doing so now. There are a few times that I felt I was being followed. Turns out that those times I was just being paranoid. I have always had a plan that if I felt that someone was following me that I would make several random turns and see if they followed me. Usually they were just happening to go the same way I was. I have had the plan if that someone was following me to go to a police station or somewhere with a lot of people and perferrably cameras. I have a heavy logging chain next to my seat and a few other ways to protect myself if I need to.

Tycoon:

--- Quote from: ejsandstrom on November 11, 2008, 11:39:29 AM ---First a short example.

Does any one else speak to their spouse about what to do if something like this happens? What if its is just you in the car? We don't really have much of a local PD and they close up shop kinda early. Now she is really carefull about getting boxed in at lights and other defencive driving habits. I have been telling her forever but some times it takes a scare to actually realize the dangers. 

--- End quote ---

No, and also now thinking about it more. I have basic rules living in the road rage state that I do that when someone is on my ass for whatever reason I never take them directly to my home. The last thing you want is for someone who you might have accidentally (or intentionally  ;D) pissed off to know where you live. It's sad to say but I know I am way more self aware than my wife, but definitely should bring up some basic rules for situations like these. That said, she is very intelligent and I believe if she couldn't get a hold of me she would either call the police or drive to the station.

Tactical Badger:
Great teachable moment.  I really do need to talk to the wife about this.  I'm sure she's not as aware as she should be.  Mostly because she's ALWAYS on the cell phone with her family. ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version