Author Topic: August 2020 California fires -- Bay area edition  (Read 4749 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
August 2020 California fires -- Bay area edition
« on: August 20, 2020, 02:17:53 PM »
I dont know if the news is giving the reality of what was set off from that dry lightning storm.  They aren't saying yet because it is that bad, we just dont have the dramatic video footage, and they maybe dont want to admit yet the type of devastation until they get the final count ?

But, yes it is serious, I spoke to a family from Last chance Road ( coastal North of Santa Cruz) all 70 homes are gone just on that one road, alot of animals gone, they had no notice, they had no official evac notice, it was neighbor to neighbor due to seeing the flames --

I am ... Idont know the word, how could they not be able to have had some indication to give notice.

I am evacuated, I likely do not have a home or neighborhood.  I do not know for a fact, but do know for a fact video footage from a PG and E camera close by -- hot fire in the canopy.  I do know our fire station burned, I do know other houses burned. 

2 hours before my phone call, and I did get a call, I was at a friends who is a reporter who was on the phone with a division chief who said it was under control on the Boulder creek outskirts, and that is not close, there were no worries.  1 1/2 hours later when  am back at home a neighbor calls me and says her tenant came to her door with a video of a location clearly way further than indicated in flames.  We start packing, then get the call.  The call is not like earlier evac calls, it is leave and take such and such road and go to the fairgrounds. I started loading on my own in too much shock at first to call local family to come help, eventually I did call, but what I have is what fit in the truck, no time to hook up the small travel trailer, as I have animals and it tales alot of time for one old lady to catch and load such.  I left with the goats, half the chickens, one of the cats, the chickens were in the cab of the truck with me and the cat, leaving room for guns and other safe paperwork etc..under the chickens, my get home bag, go bag and the small bag partially still packed from camping I just got home from.  And the small tent and a sleeping bag and pillow.  In my families car who helped the end loading, a present for the grandbaby, large gliding rocking horse I was in process refinishing and 2 sewing machines, and the photo albums maybe another thing or 2, not much, we had to go. We forgot the cat litter box and the other bag of my clothes left them just inside the front door. 

This whole fire is a HUGE uncontrolled fire, a few blended together I think by the time it hit my area.  There are alot of displaced people and animals and loss of houses and contents.

Lots of bad information on animal placement, just a mess, and other area had been under evac order already.  It is like, well it is after business hours, first evac called at 7pm-ish, oh well, wait for tomorrow.  Eventually the next day money was found ( disaster aid ) to hire employees likely on overtime to build out the fair enclosures, and under pressure from us and politicians who found money, they ramped it up and had uncloseures for some animals by lunch-ish instead of 3 or 4 pm, but does help the many chickens people took, later by dinner the junior fair board, young adults who have their own building with wire cages were helping the small animals.   When people evacuate, they dont have time, if they can get animals at all, it is any which way, might be a young couple in a subaru station wagon with 4 goats and a few chickens.  they cant stay like that in the car with the heat.  That is a true story, likely had a cat or dog.  then there are darn few personal items.

I dont know what the excuses are for the professionals, but the householders in my area had been without power already for 54 hours, just got it back noon sat, the evacs started sat night, so it is not like people could realy keep up on their own with info, but I will tell you, sat night, when I had power, before the evac for me started and the other area was evacing, I went to Cal Fires web site.  Just no information there in any case.  Not even red dot for the fires in our county !  And, they had been burning, likely only with local volunteers until saturday.  News I have tuned into while at the fairgrounds, just substandard, they are giving no information, and initially it was always behind, we tune in Sunday int eh wee hours on someones smart phone, the news "update" is ging information that was new at 7 pm the night before, they are giving a list of evac areas woefully out of date.  Maybe some is better by now, but teh 6pm radio update we all tuned into last night was worthless.  No information at all. 

I would think ny now you all might be seeing some flame footage at least and a few human interest stories, but we would love some actuall information on how the fire is doing.  And yes, I know to some degree this did change fast, and yes I do know they cant know what they cant see yet, just venting.  Tuning into channels and listening, and then those that do that tell us word of mouth, that is how we know and that is up to date.  ANd, of course, they have real work to do and stopping to talk to us they do not have time for, yes I get that

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: August 2020 California fires -- Bay area edition
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 02:23:27 PM »
Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this, but glad you got out! Please keep us posted on your situation...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »
oh Mountain.  I will lift you up in my prayers.  Do keep us posted on your situation.

edit: I am trying to find information for you, but there are so many fires in your state.  And I know you are in northern California, but beyond that, I do not know in which location to watch.

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »
mountainmomma: I would love to try to find information but don't know what area you're in. The Bay area's a big place. Can you tell me your county?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 07:10:32 PM »
Someone went to my street and took a picture -- for some reason of my house !  it is standing ! amazing as of noon today

If someone wnat to post here that has a picute page, you can tell me and I can email to you and you can link to here, because it s pretty amzing to see everything burned and my house and car, yes I left my car, still there

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
Someone went to my street and took a picture -- for some reason of my house !  it is standing ! amazing as of noon today

If someone wnat to post here that has a picute page, you can tell me and I can email to you and you can link to here, because it s pretty amzing to see everything burned and my house and car, yes I left my car, still there

wow, that is a blessing.  If it still is 6 hours later.  I will pray for that. 

Also, I will post that for you.  I will even try to figure out to make sure all the GPS info is scrubbed from the picture

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
Argh.  Good luck, mountainmoma!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
MM: Hoping for an update today and to hear that your home was spared :)

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »

Thank God!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »

this.

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »

MM, I hope you're home is still safe. Here's the most recent article I could find for the fire. It was updated this morning.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-21/californias-wine-country-again-is-in-line-of-fire-why-is-north-bay-now-a-tinderbox

Here's from Cal Fire: https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/17/czu-august-lightning-complex/

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »

I dont have internet access often, I am sleeping in the cab of the pickup in the livestock area and have to walk over to where wi-fi is.  But, here is the update.

Someone I know went by there, they were in the area in a professional capacity, but were on my street so went to my property briefly. 

My actual house is standing, every bit of it, and the deck attached on the south and the extensive garden below the deck was also not burned ( but of course, the crops will all die in this heat with no water)  The barn is destroyed and smoldering still, he not being I fire person is worried if that might reignite something, but likely it wont, and animal runs, the chicken coop burned to the ground, a detached office, burned to the ground, travel trailer I did not have time to hook up and take burned to the ground.  He says when he turns on the tap, no water came out.  This could be because my water tank was used to fight the fire, or because the water tank pipe was melted as the fire burned thru that area. 

The devastation in general is unprecendated.  Not to mention the shear number of displaced, most of the county is on evac orders

Some people in my area took chainsaws and hoses and saved the one church and elementary school in the community.  A couple other people saved the firehouse, it was under evac orders, but a few defied it and saved it.  Having a few semi-public community buildings will be important to people. 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
wow - what a blessing for you.  Thank you for the update.  The offer in my PM stands. <3

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 05:45:16 PM »
Good for you, MM!  Hang in there.

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:54 PM »
I’m so happy you didn’t lose everything. If you need anything, let us know.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 09:04:21 PM »
Great news! So glad to hear it.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »
other people in other areas close by are exhausted and still fighting it -- Mostly abandoned by any professional fire fighting crews

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/21/refusing-to-evacuate-bonny-doon-as-the-flames-close-in-why-do-they-stay-behind/

They stay because experience has shown them that that is what, and only what saves their houses

( my water tank melted, must be a good alternative to those darn plastic tanks)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSdggfnD0-g&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR14ubiHDeuSd5xtN3t5eRvADSVOQzpRGC8777c0JNpuznQ_7ssg5Dt9TFE

He is a great guy, this is not a fringe person, just trying to save his home, there are many more like this doing this in abandoned areas.

When your news tells you they aboned this area due to terrain, this guy and that area is not bad terrain at all.   Perfectly great access.  They just did not bother to send help.

Today, some other areas are getting a little help, often litterally begging for it Residents are saving homes the professionals think are not savable

from a local locked facebook post, 14 minutes ago

Even though I can't be on the mountain I'm getting live updates from on site fire personnel. I can only share intel now. Two trucks and a pumper on ----- making a stand. Locals are downing trees while cal fire is holding back fires with water. ;;;;;; is looking promising coming from people currently on ;;;;;;. Thank you Verizon for one of the few spots to get cell service. It makes operations so much easier.  1 house at end of  ===== has been lost. Firefighters have saved another

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:28:53 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 01:31:34 PM »
Stay safe. The whole vibe of poor warnings and lack of government services makes me think that other vital services (like medical help) might not be easy access either.

And while I'm happy to hear you are in relatively good shape I feel for your neighbors. Given the strange demands and poor stock supply during COVID it's not unusual to see a hardware store here run out of plywood.

Sounds like a real mess. I wish you and yours all the  best.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 02:10:29 PM »
this is from someone in not too far from me yesterday, I hope today they are getting a little help

We are heading up shortly.  A neighbor has been up all night defending 4 houses and desperately needs help.  It's still spot fires in the area we live.   He says there is a smouldering stump near our house that needs to be taken care of.  He can't do it all and there is no cal fire support.   You;d go too I bet!   We don't believe we are risking our lives and do believe homes are worth saving. 
We have no electricity, water, wifi, cell coverage or propane.   I don't expect that we will be able to update until we are back in town.   Please keep us in your prayers.

she says this as in the news they are putting down the people saving the houses and say they shouldnt

Now, my area, the regular people could not and should not, these people now mostly have lower, cooler fire and hot spots that they can fight.  By my house it was hard, fast, hot, often in the crowns and hit after midnight and totally without warning, so the losses in my area are extremely high.  I left.  and should have.  The fire stopped, there is a line from that first night of the edge of that first hard fast hit from that direction, and that line as providence would have it, runs down the middle of my street .

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »
Stay safe. The whole vibe of poor warnings and lack of government services makes me think that other vital services (like medical help) might not be easy access either.

And while I'm happy to hear you are in relatively good shape I feel for your neighbors. Given the strange demands and poor stock supply during COVID it's not unusual to see a hardware store here run out of plywood.

Sounds like a real mess. I wish you and yours all the  best.

not to derail too much, but you are correct, this is another example of our overly expensive and complex systems that are not serving us ! Broken social contracts and all, like letting Minn.  by you go to hell and no protection for people or businesses

We will more and more as time goes on need to rely more on ourselves and less on "them" to take care of us

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
for sure water tank is melted, well pump house burned to the ground, pressure pump house burned to the ground.  Every bit if fencing, but I am a lucky one.

2 priorities once the fire is controlled, place goats with someone else.  Work on water system, order 2 cords of firewood even if its trucked in from central valley. 

Once the place has water it is a resource for thecommunity who has nothing to at least be able to get a break here when they are up on their properties tryng to rebuild

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
the CZU fire in my area is lessening somewhat, so that is good news.  I almost said they were beating it back but that would imply firefighting that has not happened.  There was not even a helicopter until yesterday, we should have been getting air drops a week ago and this would have been a non-starter.  Santa Cruz city Fire was going door to door telling people to sweep and rake up leaves yesterday, a job that could easily be done by volunteers or CERT, and there are people all over the county who would jump at the chance to help  like that. And that would leave them to go fight fires or protect structures in one of the various communities a few miles away at the fires edge.  I have heard that they are being roundly degraded by other local fire fighters, professional and the rouges as the wusses they are.  Or their bosses I guess realy.  So much for mutual aide. There are now as of this weekend help, some random teams from out of area ( Yeah Merced ! ) A rogue on teh mountain says what he has been fighting in lower Bonny Doon is not as hot as what he went and fought professionally in Napa a year or two ago. Not even closeNow, some initial spots where hot and fast, but since then realy not so bad, it is just that there was no one sent to fight it and no air support

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2020/08/24/as-bonny-doon-burns-defiant-residents-refuse-to-give-up-the-fight-for-battle-mountain/?utm_email=94E444C59462B4895452C4415C&g2i_eui=%2f%2fWMSJ5FiwC7hUxXlu6sYY8hpXSNacsK&g2i_source=newsletter&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.santacruzsentinel.com%2f2020%2f08%2f24%2fas-bonny-doon-burns-defiant-residents-refuse-to-give-up-the-fight-for-battle-mountain%2f&utm_campaign=%23Listrak%5cContentURL%3d%22http%3a%2f%2fapps.mercurynews.com%2fnewsletters%2fnorcal%2fsanta-cruz-sentinel%2f%3fserv%3dlt%26ext

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2020, 10:23:08 AM »
Are you able to return home yet?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »
not even close.

I did by a travel trailer the other day, I am trying to learn how to use it, right now it is at the fairgrounds with other evacuees with livestock, I have full hookups but am only using electricity so far and the propane it came with, next I will figure out in and outgoing liquids

It is 21ft, about 15 years old.  It was being sold the day I needed it only a half hour away, so close enough that a volunteer drove there and back with me.  I handed over more cash than it would have cost last week, but that is ok.  It is one with a larger spereate shower, 3 way larger fridge, stove with oven, full sized bed large table no couch no counter space, decent sink for a trailer. No awaning is it rotted out -- I will need to caulk and replace a few roof vetn plastic covers before rains come

most of my immediate area is devastated, but the main problem is the fire is not out yet.  They are trying to starve out our rouges, not allowing retock runs over the evacuation line -- I sent someone up with my house key and if they find a certain person they can hand it over, with instructions that they are free to take any and all from my pantry if they can get there, but if they are caught driving from their house to mine, they will be sited or arrested.  That person has a pantry as I do, but others do not, and they need more gas to keep fighting the flare ups. 

I do not have an internet connection when at the fair grounds, when I am at this family members house twice a week at least, I will check internet. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 05:27:44 PM »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »
I am linking another article on the "rag tag" fire fighters as it may be a helpful consideration for others, I believe relying on "them" to protect us from many scenarios is going to continue to degrade.  SO, read with an open mind and think of what and how your neighborhood could support each other if need be

A large chunk of evacuees in an area that was never affected byt eh fire have left, so looks like internet will now work here again

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-25/bonny-doon-group-stays-to-fight-czu-fire-santa-cruz?fbclid=IwAR2lyUIsgS6h5haDG9xpQVmDmto45AmdVeHG9LZWRzeOZ4bZXHKafb3LG2w

Firefighters have also been hampered by a shortage of hand crews due in part to a lack of inmate firefighters, he said.

“That’s always been a problem lately especially now that the whole COVID thing is going and the early release to help minimize the chance of people spreading it in the camp system,” he said.

Even with the added resources that arrived Sunday, Zucker said he planned to remain behind. He was apprehensive about a storm system forecast to hit the area starting Sunday night, but fortunately, the weather system proved mild.

“We know that of course the professionals don’t want amateurs in their way,” Zucker said. “But when there weren’t any professionals up here, we really had no choice.”

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
Wow! I'm glad to hear you were able to find that travel trailer... it reminds me of when our family (with GSD) evacuated ahead of hurricane Katrina. We couldn't go back home for an extended time and we also bought a travel trailer to live in. It was a very good choice, as it turned out. We continued homeschooling and could cook our own meals, etc.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »
Some statistics, at its peak, 50,000 people were evacuated, which is an awful lot of the county, 1/3 of maybe ?

“As of this morning, the damage assessment for the CZU Lightning Complex Fire was 97% complete. In total, 1,361 structures have been destroyed, with 132 damaged. 861 single family homes have been destroyed in total. ”
from a county supervisor re-posted on a facebook post 

A lightning storm like this in CA is unprecendented.  Maybe it does happen now and again, every century or so, we dont know, but in recent history it is unknown.  So this totally unprecedented dry lightning storm does multiple strikes and lights lots of fires and the upper management of our state government and State ( CalFire) fire agency DID NOT call for help initially ?  The fire that raged thru my area was not addressed, not fought, at all for many days, not fought at all until hundreds and hundreds of homes where lost, and they didnt even seem to know what it was or where it was !  Airdrops initially, before it grow so big that smoke obscured the access and this would have been a non-issue.  If we did not have enough resources, they should have asked for help !  No fire by us will safely "burn itself out" and no-one would think so, it is not the middle of nowhere.  NO helicopter even dropped water for almost a week

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »
Thank you for the update.  Sounds like your state .gov wanted your area to burn to the ground.  Is that a bad thing to say?  I swear, CA does the dumbest things, and the only thing I can think of that makes sense is their overarching "humans are bad, return to nature" policies.