Author Topic: Whole Wheat Bread Recipe  (Read 577 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »
Hello... it's been awhile since I posted this originally (embedded in a topic about a grain mill review), so I was thinking others might be looking for a decent way to make good bread from your wheat berry stores. I don't have any vital gluten in stock right now (but it is easily available on Amazon with free shipping, so I'll be ordering some). If you don't have the vital gluten... if you do still have some white flour from the grocery store on hand, just use about half and half white flour to your whole wheat flour and it will be very good and allow you to stretch the white flour a bit longer.

My Whole Wheat recipe (suitable for bread machine)

1 cup water
3 T. vegetable oil (use 4 T. if you don't add the ground flax seed)
2 or 3 T. honey (to your taste... the 3 T. is a pretty sweet taste)
1 egg
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3 cups homeground whole wheat flour
1 T. vital wheat gluten
3 T. ground flax seed (optional)
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I like kosher salt)
2 1/2 tsp. yeast (don't overdo the yeast)

In my machine, it calls for liquid ingredients to be used first. If your machine directions call for dry ingredients first, just reverse the order.
I add the ingredients in the order listed above for my machine. For the yeast, I make a small indentation forming a little well in the flour and put the yeast there.

Turn on the machine and let it run. Let it continue through to the second kneading (usually take about 1 hour for my machine). Then, take the dough out and form into either 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves. Place into greased bread pans and let rise until doubled. It will go faster if you put into an unheated oven with the light on.

Bake at 350 degrees until nicely toasted on the sides. For the two loaves (what I usually do), it takes about 25 minutes.