Author Topic: Butter shortages...in France..yes butter..  (Read 10310 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Butter shortages...in France..yes butter..
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 11:45:50 PM »
I had a butter crock, during the summer the butter would soften enough to fall into the water... so i quit using it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 05:46:41 AM »
Ever hear the term Guns vs Butter?

Time to segue into Nazis...

Perhaps the best known use of the phrase (in translation) was in Nazi Germany. In a speech on January 17, 1936, Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels stated: "We can do without butter, but, despite all our love of peace, not without arms. One cannot shoot with butter, but with guns." Referencing the same concept, sometime in the summer of the same year another Nazi official, Hermann Göring, announced in a speech: "Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat."
Old Goering would know about being fat...

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 05:50:01 AM »
We keep about 10 pounds frozen and rotate about 3 pounds to the refrigerator and keep a stick on the counter.  Never had an issue with it going bad, though it occasionally gets really soft on the hottest days when the house is open.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 06:20:48 AM »
I've had butter go bad on the counter but only in the very hottest weather and it had been out for an extended period of time.

I have also never experienced an issue with failure from frozen butter.  I try to keep about 5 pounds in the freezer and 2-3 in the fridge.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »
So.....whats up with butter prices the last 6 months??

We haven't seen it below 3.24 a pound in 6 months. Maybe a sale at Aldi's, but we don't get that way often as it's an hours drive.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
We have seven in our house, and we live an hour away from Costco, so when we buy butter, we buy a BOX of butter from Costco.  The box has 6 4-lb packages in it.  And we freeze it until needed.  Then we pull out a 4-lb pack to keep in the fridge.  It lasts us about 2 weeks.  Unless my 14-yo makes bread; then it only lasts as long as fresh warm bread lasts.... ;D

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
So.....whats up with butter prices the last 6 months??

We haven't seen it below 3.24 a pound in 6 months. Maybe a sale at Aldi's, but we don't get that way often as it's an hours drive.

I've noticed the same thing, butter's not cheap anymore. Also it's becoming increasingly hard to find the standard quarter size, all but one brand at my local grocery has gone to the "fat quarters" as I call them, which don't fit into my butter dish.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
We haven't bought any lately because of the prices. We usually keep around 12 pounds in the freezer, and I noticed yesterday we're down to 3 pounds.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
I've noticed the same thing, butter's not cheap anymore. Also it's becoming increasingly hard to find the standard quarter size, all but one brand at my local grocery has gone to the "fat quarters" as I call them, which don't fit into my butter dish.

that is funny.  I have always only seen the "fat quarters" as you call them.  But Costco just went to the skinny ones, and I do not like them!  We do not use a butter dish.  Instead we use a 1-c glass tea cup (corell) and put 2 cubes in there.  That way we can rotate the dishes regularly - every time we need a refill - and not get stale butter taste.  The skinny ones do not fit inside as easily and are top heavy so a new bowl will tip easier.

guess it is all a matter of preference! :)