Author Topic: Pros & cons  (Read 2781 times)

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
Pros & cons
« on: June 30, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
I would like you opinion on cross draw.
Pockets

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Pros & cons
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
  For strong or weak hand?

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:04:58 PM »
  Nice for inside the car. Bill Jordon did not like them for law enforcement because they present the grip to whoever your facing. Think body type and what rig doesn't cause back pain.

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
It's for the strong hand. As a former military cop the cross draw just seemed natural. With the holster on the hip, with a straight draw, the holster sets high and to draw the handgun you have to go even higher to clear the holster.  With the cross draw its just a straight pull and a fast turn and you're on the target.
Pockets

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »
I use a cross draw holster for carrying my revolver with a 6inch barrel in the woods.  I don’t like it for concealed self defense purposes.  Someone in front of you has better access to your pistol that you do.  The draw with a cross draw holster is easily jammed.

I would recommend using an apendix carry or strong side carry for defensive purposes.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
I would concur with the gist of the thread so far. 

It is not ideal from a weapons retention standpoint.  In LE work, I understand that it was most common in longer barrel revolvers such as some of the highway patrols that used 5 inch .357s. 

Another consideration is that there are many ranges that will not let you work from the holster in cross draw due to the risk of muzzling other patrons. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
I would concur with the gist of the thread so far. 

It is not ideal from a weapons retention standpoint.  In LE work, I understand that it was most common in longer barrel revolvers such as some of the highway patrols that used 5 inch .357s. 

Another consideration is that there are many ranges that will not let you work from the holster in cross draw due to the risk of muzzling other patrons. 

true, the range i volunteer at does not allow drawing from a holster for a number of safety reasons.