Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

.224 Valkyrie

(1/4) > >>

David in MN:
Federal has come up with the new wundercartridge. The .224 Valkyrie is a necked down 6.8 SPC that shoots a long .22 round with very high sectional density. Here's a pretty cool review:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/224-valkyrie-complete-guide/

Now I'm not a ballistics expert. But I know a few. They are very excited about this round. It stays supersonic past 1000 yards, shoots farther and flatter than a 5.56, and has much less wind deflection.

For those playing along, Federal just gave new competition to the 6.5 Creedmore (rumored to be a favorite for replacing the 5.56). The Valkyrie only requires a few moderations to an AR 15 to run (new barrel, bolt) so it seems obvious Federal is making a play at the "new" military cartridge. If you've been looking for an AR round that performs a little different than a 5.56 maybe it's right for you.

Smurf Hunter:
I'm with you except for 6.5CM.  That's intended to be a better .308 optimized slightly for target shooting.

Sounds like .224VK is analogous to that for the 5.56/.223

Carl:
  I feel I have to as....For who is performance at 1000 yards important?
NOT self defense
NOT hunting as too few have trigger control and technique  to monitor thermal and wind effect..

Oh that brings us back to 'hail Mary' paper punchers , I was one ,for a time

I guess if you can afford it and the high cost of finding your ability or where you fall short.

Did I mention that I am heavily medicated now?   Oh look, a squirrel!

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: Carl on May 03, 2018, 10:48:31 AM ---  I feel I have to as....For who is performance at 1000 yards important?
NOT self defense
NOT hunting as too few have trigger control and technique  to monitor thermal and wind effect..

Oh that brings us back to 'hail Mary' paper punchers , I was one ,for a time

I guess if you can afford it and the high cost of finding your ability or where you fall short.

Did I mention that I am heavily medicated now?   Oh look, a squirrel!

--- End quote ---

As David said, probably competition for military contract.  The military would like better ballistic potential without having to hump an AR-10 sized weapon up afghan mountains. A lot of afghan engagements are realllll long.

Also it probably hits harder, especially at range. Heavier bullet staying fast for longer.

Seems promising. Ballistics junkies who like playing with hand loads for fun, no reason not to start playing with it.  Preppers who have many priorities, I would wait for a major player like the DoD to buy it before adopting it. 

Alan Georges:
Looks interesting.  Not my bandwagon, but it's fun to watch others innovate.  After that, who knows?  The .224 may be the next big thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version