Author Topic: Looking for Info on Spokane County, Washington  (Read 337 times)

Offline Shaddess

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Live long; live honest
Looking for Info on Spokane County, Washington
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Hello TSP!
I am a long time listener but haven't really popped in the forums very often. 

Anyway, I am just beginning a journey into trying to get back to property ownership.  After a divorce that left me nearly penniless, I am finally rebuilding my life to something more like human and I am desperate to get back into property ownership.  Problem is, I am currently living and working in California!  To be fair, I live in the north state which is truly gorgeous, however and as always, the people really screw a place up. 

I am looking at getting property in Washington State and I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have experience in the eastern part.  I am hoping to stay in property management after I find a property, so i would need to be within 30 minutes drive to a major city.  With that in mind, I have been looking to the rural area's outside of Spokane.  Property in this area is not only radically better priced than any California counterpart, but the state also has radically less people to go on a screw up the state rampage!  At least I hope that is the case.

What are the building codes like (looking to homestead with either a small house or do alternative housing)
What are good fruits and veggies that grow well in the region?
Is the job market decent in the Spokane area?
What is the eastern states culture like?

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
Re: Looking for Info on Spokane County, Washington
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
We have friends north of Spokane towards Deer Park. Very affordable (compared to W.Wa) and beautiful up there. It's like 35min from Spokane, unless you get stuck behind someone slow...then it'll take a while.
The wife and I have considered the area, but would rather escape across the border. Even though ID housing prices have risen as of late, we don't like the idea of the seattle culture setting state legislation for us anymore. Even in western Wa the culture drastically changes outside of King Co.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
Keep in mind, my perspective coming from Western WA.

Spokane is very conservative.  To me it feels like a random midwest farming town. That's good and bad.
WA state has no state income tax, however west of the mountains we have high sales tax (10%) and fairly high property and gasoline taxes too.

I suppose if you're coming from CA/NJ/IL/etc. WA is a net positive tax-wise.

If you want homesteading type land, make sure it already has a well.  It's becoming difficult to legally dig new wells due to regulations.

Offline Shaddess

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Live long; live honest
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
Thanks guys, both post are very informative. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
My wife and I are in southeastern WA (near Richland/Pasco/Kennewick, a.k.a. the Tri-Cities).  I can't tell you a lot about the Spokane area specifically, because we don't get up there very often, but I can say a bit about about eastern Washington in general.

Dry.  Really, really dry in the Tri-Cities area, as in: there are no trees unless they are irrigated or along riverbanks.  Spokane has a bit more moisture and more trees.

Conservative, but not completely.  Spokane and the Tri-Cities are big enough to have some diversity of thought and culture, because they attract people from all over.

A conservative local government isn't necessarily a guarantee of permissive land-use regulations -- we have a lot of "NIMBY conservatives" who are fine with doing whatever they want on their own property, but not fine with letting YOU do whatever you want on your property.  Check out specific county governments to see how they're handling things.

I won't advise you on fruits and veggies because I kill green things. 8)  But you're looking at hot dry summers and pretty chilly winters up here.

The overall job market in the Tri-Cities area is pretty strong; I'm not familiar with the situation in Spokane.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »
I grew up in Western WA but have family around Deer Park and southern Idaho.  I think the area is very much worth considering. Just an hour drive north and you are into forested hills and small border crossings to Canada.  The Columbia river up near the border is amazing for scenery, boating fishing, hunting. There are several rivers and lakes within an hours drive.  BUT, I would considering looking at living more around Post Falls, ID and working around Spokane.  Even though Spokane is eastern WA, many of the laws are still coming from Commi-Olympia (my hometown), and Seattle metro influence. You also are within easy driving distance of some of the most fabulous fishing rivers and lands of northern Montana.  You do not have to drive very far to get out of the urban and even suburban area.  Unlike Seattle and Portland, Spokane is not really constrained by any major geographical features so there is much less congestion and the spread is more evenly distributed around the compass.

And yes, Spokane is big enough to have its share of libtards, but there are many more dirt farm conservatives than you will find on the western side of Cascades.

Offline jbritely

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 07:56:41 AM »
I agree with NWPilgrim.  Living in Idaho is the way to go.  Also, there is probably property management in Cour d' alene .

I grew up in Western WA but have family around Deer Park and southern Idaho.  I think the area is very much worth considering. Just an hour drive north and you are into forested hills and small border crossings to Canada.  The Columbia river up near the border is amazing for scenery, boating fishing, hunting. There are several rivers and lakes within an hours drive.  BUT, I would considering looking at living more around Post Falls, ID and working around Spokane.  Even though Spokane is eastern WA, many of the laws are still coming from Commi-Olympia (my hometown), and Seattle metro influence. You also are within easy driving distance of some of the most fabulous fishing rivers and lands of northern Montana.  You do not have to drive very far to get out of the urban and even suburban area.  Unlike Seattle and Portland, Spokane is not really constrained by any major geographical features so there is much less congestion and the spread is more evenly distributed around the compass.

And yes, Spokane is big enough to have its share of libtards, but there are many more dirt farm conservatives than you will find on the western side of Cascades.