Author Topic: Taking the Plunge  (Read 477 times)

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
Taking the Plunge
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
Last day in Texas, I'll be headed up to Manchester tomorrow morning. This will be my longest road trip. Thought I was being slick traveling on the weekend to miss all the rush hour traffic. Didn't realize until a few days ago it's Memorial Day Weekend.   :-[

Anyone know of a decent storage place in Manchester? Need to store my stuff until I find an apartment. Don't need a big one, every thing I have fits in my car and a 4x8 trailer.

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
Re: Taking the Plunge
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
Awesome. Welcome. I might suggest sending an email to chris@fsp.org to get ideas on storage spaces. There are lots of options at different price points.  I've helped people move into or out of a few different storage locations. Some in the old mill buildings are kind of a pain to deal with getting stuff in and out of.  A traditional 'mini garage' thing is far easier to deal with - though may be a little more expensive.

Make sure to check out Merrimack Valley Porcupines on 6/3

https://freestateproject.org/content/liberty-events-new-hampshire

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:00:57 PM »
Have a safe trip!!

Cedar

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
Trip so far going great. Not used to all the mountains. Soon as I got to northern Alabama/Tennessee, it took all my energy not to run off the road looking at all the mountain scenery. Made it to Chattanooga today, hopefully Scranton, PA tomorrow. I have learned that apparently Google drives faster than I do, or I take more restroom breaks  ;D

Pulling a small tailer with all my stuff in the Sentra is turning out better than I hoped. It struggles getting up those hills but it made them all day long.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:42 AM »
Trip so far going great. Not used to all the mountains. Soon as I got to northern Alabama/Tennessee, it took all my energy not to run off the road looking at all the mountain scenery. Made it to Chattanooga today, hopefully Scranton, PA tomorrow. I have learned that apparently Google drives faster than I do, or I take more restroom breaks  ;D

Pulling a small tailer with all my stuff in the Sentra is turning out better than I hoped. It struggles getting up those hills but it made them all day long.

Hills are taller in a small vehicle with extra weight, take your time and have a hopefully uneventful trip.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
Jeff in NH has given great advice.  Chris is awesome and is worth contacting. 

Safe travels and welcome to NH.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
Glad your trip is going well so far. Good luck on the new start!

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
Glad I took the way with no tolls. I got to ride Route 9 through Vermont. Holy Bejebus that was beautiful.  After 1800 miles of interstate it was nice going though a winding mountain road. Will defiantly be riding that again when I get a motorcycle. I even have some road rash on the side of my car where I love tapped the guardrail. My fault, looking at the view and not the road.  ;D  I was surprised I didn't hit many holiday traffic. Some crossing the Mississippi river and little bit in West Virginia but smooth sailing rest of the way.

Should have planned this trip better though. Got here on Saturday. Everyone is off for the holiday so can't really look for an apartment till Tuesday. Gave me chance to drive around Manchester though. Gas prices also jumped soon as I got to Maryland into Pennsylvania.  2.05 the whole way up than bam, 2.55. Oh well. Still a great trip. Thanks everyone .

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »
  I am glad to see that your trip was mostly safe. I used to live in Falls Church ,near DC,Virginia and ,on weekends,rode the Appalachian Trail and camped in some beautiful country,while mostly eating apples,pears,persimmons left in old homesteads ,the only real problems were sightseers and deer as I then rode a 15 speed bike.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
 Laconia bike week I guess starts around June 10th. I have not gone to that in many years, though they have good bands sometimes. Definitely a biker crowd to the max obviously. It's just north of Manchester by 50 miles maybe ?

Hampton beach is a beach resort area on the coast as well. There is a place Wally's that has bands. The popular surf spot is north beach near Cinnamon rainbows surf shop at the sea wall. A good place for cruising, people watching etc
http://cinnamonrainbows.com/

The closest hiking to Manchester is 101 west around Perterborough - North Pack monadnock mountain, but monadnock a little further west is more popular (and crowded). Bear brook park also (no mountains), probably some trails on 89 north also towards VT but the white mountains are nicer though further away. The drive through waterville valley in the whites is very scenic and many trout streams also

Keene NH to the west seemed to be the home of free talk live and a bunch of northern libertarians. I don't know what they have been doing lately, I don't listen to them anymore but they where always an unusual phenomenon.

The southern coast of Maine is very nice also and not too far.

http://laconiamcweek.com/

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:18:41 PM by surfivor »

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »
I just wish I had brought my bike up with me instead of selling it. It's for the best though, didn't have room. I ended up dumping 80 percent of my stuff before I came up here. Made moving so much easier. i was vicious in throwing stuff out. Haven't worn it in a year, gone. Really love that cheap chair, gone. Only big thing I had was mattress. It was a foam one. I ratchet strapped it until it was about 1/3 the size with 5 straps to get it to fit in the trailer.

I've only been here a week and it's almost feels like home already. Only thing I miss is good Mexican food. What I ate at one place should be ashamed to call itself a breakfast burrito. Although I do like having 4 pizza/sub shops within walking distance.

Offline Betsy4ever

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 01:52:50 AM »

Bikes are fun for a ride lover. Manchester is love and all the best for the trip!!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 05:50:01 AM »
I just wish I had brought my bike up with me instead of selling it.
When you're ready to go biking again, look at it as an opportunity to find and strike up a relationship with a good local bike store.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »
When you're ready to go biking again, look at it as an opportunity to find and strike up a relationship with a good local bike store.

Will do. Probably won't buy one until next spring. Give me enough time to find a decent one. Pick up a nice used KLR or DR-Z400S. I'm already looking at camping/hunting/fishing in the area. Will be nice not having to get a hunting lease for once.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
Glad you made it and are settling in. Just moved myself and it's good to be in the new place. Hope you enjoy your new area!