Author Topic: TXU offers solar panel lease program through SolarCity  (Read 8802 times)

Offline stump172

• Prepper
TXU offers solar panel lease program through SolarCity
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/23/1991849/new-txu-solar-power-venture-drops.html

Their website says that these are grid tied with no battery backup and shut down during a power outage. So, this might not be the kind of thing for us, from a preparedness view, but it does look like an interesting program.  Anything that lowers the cost of solar, can't be too bad.

More info here:
http://www.txu.com/solar

ZX9RCAM

Re: TXU offers solar panel lease program through SolarCity
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:05 AM »
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/23/1991849/new-txu-solar-power-venture-drops.html

Their website says that these are grid tied with no battery backup and shut down during a power outage. So, this might not be the kind of thing for us, from a preparedness view, but it does look like an interesting program.  Anything that lowers the cost of solar, can't be too bad.

More info here:
http://www.txu.com/solar

This is strictly for the safety of any repairmen.....don't want them coming into contact with hot lines, lol.
I would presume one could wire up a switch to divert the power to batteries for for back-up.

Offline Ekunga

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Anything that lowers the cost of solar, can't be too bad.

I think you miss the point that every part of society acts to maximise profits. Therefore you will never see solar panels become cheap while scheme like this exist, all that happens is every set of hands on the way to you increases the price to a point where you are still paying the same after the scheme as you would before.

Also as you increase the number of these scheme there is less incentive for competition in the market to bring prices down. I believe that solar will only start to decrease in price once all the incentives dissapear and the price is driven by the real market not the artifical market that currently exists.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:25:48 AM »
And they only lease them to you. Then remove them from your home while they would still have many years of usable service they could provide.

I would be more interested if they actually sold them and then I could hook up a battery back up to make them REALLY useful.

Offline OvillaBrown

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
My neighbor was able to get on this program. He put a down payment of $ 3,500 and he’s done. He does not have to pay anymore. The solar cells are supposed to save him about $200 per month on his electric bill. That is almost too good to be true!

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Hey can i rent your roof , i pay the 3,500 and get the check too?

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »

Was anyone able to download their "Surplus Power Purchase Agreement" at http://www.txu.com/library/DRG_SURPLUS_POWER_PURCHASE_AGREEMENT_FINAL_010710.pdf  I only get a 0k file.  I could not find if this was limited to any specific areas of their service.

Wonder if I can generate power for TXU and use the profits to pay my Gexa bill.  ;D

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
Even if the plan isn't for you, the company might be a good place to pick up used PV panels!

Offline Endure

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »
This is strictly for the safety of any repairmen.....don't want them coming into contact with hot lines, lol.
I would presume one could wire up a switch to divert the power to batteries for for back-up.

The grid tied setups used in this scenario won't charge batteries...  At least easily, without cutting and damaging the inter-panel wiring in the system.

More importantly, there are usually some very specific clauses on alterations to the array - Start rewiring it or adding/modifying components and you'll end up on the bad side of their contract.

Sorry.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »
It's called anti-islanding and an important feature to any residential distributed generation.  Most people probably don't know about it and if you are expecting the pv system to provide power during a grid event you will be surprised.

In a nutshell, when the inverter senses a disturbance on the grid it shuts down all power export until the grid is restored.  As mentioned, the main reason is for lineman safety and secondarily it helps the grid operator as he doesn't have to fight a million inverters each doing their own thing.

I think the program sounds great, you get all the benefit with a small fraction of the cost.  Let someone else worry about the reliability of the system and installation.

Offline csmithsaa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
Hey All! Just wanted to let you know about our (Solar Action Alliance) Fort Worth solar panel info page in case it would be helpful for making solar decisions (or just learning more about solar):

https://solaractionalliance.org/texas/fort-worth/

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Chelsea