Author Topic: Dave does applejack math  (Read 4549 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Dave does applejack math
« on: July 20, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
OK, so this is all hypothetical because jacking cider is illegal even though it's about as dangerous as putting ice in vodka and sipping it.

As I was walking with my daughter yesterday I noticed all the apple trees in my area. Many. Got me thinking. I know one neighbor with a tree who lets them freeze and I know my brother and sister in law have more than they can harvest as well. So I reason I can get a few bushels of apples this fall.

That's great and I plan on making a batch of cider but here's the rub: that's more cider than I can realistically drink in a year (I rarely break 3 batches). So what would I do to preserve them? I immediately considered the jacking process (freeze the cider and remove ice chips to make a liquor).

Obviously I'd never do such a thing as it is illegal and getting jack to 60 proof requires freezing to roughly -20f which as we all know is impossible as it's colder than commercial freezers and outdoor temperatures never get that cold, especially in Minnesota.  ;)

So I did some math and figured that my usual 5 gallon 8-ish percent cider frozen out to 60 proof yields 1.33 gallons or just over 5 liters of finished jack. I realize I'll lose some due to imperfect processing but just think... 5 liters of quality local liquor for the cost of some sugar, a packet of yeast, and a day of work picking and pressing apples?

Now the wheels start spinning and I'm imagining running this operation like a pro. Oak chip aging, building my own cider press, and how to best filter ice. It's a really cool thought experiment I'd obviously never do.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Dave does applejack math
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »
saw these at a reenactment last week.  Looks cool.  http://www.happyvalleyranch.com/  obviously for legal purposes only...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
The rounded math has a 5 gallon batch of beer yielding 50 bottles.  Call it a bottle a week for a year.
I'm not a Puritan, and will probably consume 3-5 times that unless I was actively training for some athletic event (it has been years).

While I encourage your R&D pursuits, given the winter holiday parties and other opportunities for sharing your brew (and cider) I wouldn't consider 3 batches of cider to be a supply surplus crisis ;)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »
The rounded math has a 5 gallon batch of beer yielding 50 bottles.  Call it a bottle a week for a year.
I'm not a Puritan, and will probably consume 3-5 times that unless I was actively training for some athletic event (it has been years).

While I encourage your R&D pursuits, given the winter holiday parties and other opportunities for sharing your brew (and cider) I wouldn't consider 3 batches of cider to be a supply surplus crisis ;)

Yeah but I just use cider to fill the keg between batches of beer which I prefer. It's not that I dislike cider, it's just that if I have bushels of apples I need to do something. I rarely bottle anything outside of mead.

I guess I could do some crazy high grav apple wine experiments but... Get my drift?

Jack solves the problem of having all those apples sitting around by converting them into a few bottles. Makes sense why our ancestors did it.

nkawtg

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 04:55:37 PM »
There's a reason it's illegal you know...
They called it “apple palsy” because this process does not remove methanol.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »

heads or tails?

Both!?  :o

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »

I've heard the fears. But I'm more than capable of getting wrecked on homebrew (have done it a few times years ago) so a dram here or there doesn't really scare me. If the ferment is good the risk should be fairly well mitigated and a northern cold ferment should be the lowest risk.

Like any poison, it's in the dosage. Being informed is the key.