Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

The shortest distance may take longer

(1/3) > >>

Hare of Caerbannog:
Back when I was in my 20's and my kids were still little and my wife was stuck at home with them 24/7, it was up to me to provide 100% of our family income.
So I took a night job delivering pizzas three nights a week and I learned a lot from that stupid little job.
First let me set the scene.
We got paid three ways:
Hourly minimum wage (almost not worth cashing the check for)
Actual miles driven per night, paid in cash (I sat 100% of that aside for gas and upkeep/replacement of the car)
Tips (I averaged around $100 a night, all cash)

I discovered right away that the key to making money was to deliver as many pizzas as fast as possible with as few returns to the store as possible.
So the answer? Drive fast, right? No. Wrong. Rabid local speed traps and a "Two tickets and you are fired!" policy meant No Speeding.
In the little desert city where I lived, I knew every back alley, every parking lot with more than one entry, every connecting street, every vacant lot, and every other path that my car would fit on. I drove at a reasonable speed, but avoided all traffic situations by using go-around routes.

Now lets bring this home to a Bug Out situation.
We all have our routes planned out.
We all have out alternative routes planned.
But what if we are delayed getting out of town and we can't even get to our routes because of street traffic?
What if there's a tree down, a bridge washed out, a spontaneous LA/Rodney King style riot that we didn't expect and we can't even get to our main or our back up route?

Think of the pizza!

In the little Ohio city where I now live, traffic grinds almost to a halt every week day from 5pm to 7pm.
Not a problem for me.
I have learned every parking lot that connects to more than one street, every service entry to every strip mall, streets through every housing development, and every pirate way of getting to almost any point in town from almost any where else in town.

So my point:
Don't just plan out your routes.
Drive around your town and see how you can get from place to place without using main streets.
Be creative. Have fun learning your own neighborhood and those around you. Try to get yourself lost in your own town. It may be easer than you think.

You may find this helps you in your daily life like it does me in mine.
In other words,
..When times get tough, and even if they don't.
(sorry Jack, just borrowing your line. I'll put it back)

archer:
Good ideas! +1

Louisiana Suvivor:
i delivered pizza for domino's for 3 months. i know everywhere to go to get out/in. i also know which area's to stay away from depending on the time of day or day of week. something else to consider when avoiding spontaneous LA/Rodney King style riots. +1 Hare

Hare of Caerbannog:
Louisiana Suvivor knows what I'm talkin' bout

Thanks Archer.

I should add, my nut case paranoid former Marine brother (and my personal hero) never takes the same route to and from someplace.
He switches up on every trip.
He takes one route to work today, then a different route home.
He goes some other way tomorrow morning.
Today he would leave for work at 6am. Yesterday he went at 5:30am, and tomorrow he goes at 7am.
Now his reasons don't match mine, but finding different routes has so many advantages and it breaks up the boring days and blood boiling STUPID DRIVERS days.

Lower your blood pressure. Try a different way home tomorrow.
Back when I commuted 30 miles each way, sometimes I would ride past a particular park on my way home and just stop and take a short nap.
Yea, I got home later, but when I walked in the house my kids saw a much nicer Dad.

(I say ride, not drive. My work transportation was a 1984 Harley Dresser that I rode rain or shine)

archer:

--- Quote from: Hare of Caerbannog on May 28, 2009, 06:05:08 PM ---He switches up on every trip.
He takes one route to work today, then a different route home.
He goes some other way tomorrow morning.
Today he would leave for work at 6am. Yesterday he went at 5:30am, and tomorrow he goes at 7am.
Now his reasons don't match mine, but finding different routes has so many advantages and it breaks up the boring days and blood boiling STUPID DRIVERS days.

--- End quote ---

One of my early posts was about changing your patterns like this. Makes it harder to track you and makes  you think of different ways to go places. Expands your thinking....
My early thread on randomness: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1405.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version