Author Topic: Couple questions about getting started with the simple ciders  (Read 31277 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Couple questions about getting started with the simple ciders
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 05:50:39 AM »
I'm late to the party, but...

For labeling, when I use the swing top bottles I got some 1/2" round labels to put on the lid.  You have to write small or use shorthand.  I've also just printed up labels on plain paper.  Cut them to size and glue them on with a glue stick.  The beauty of this is they wash off with nothing but plain water.  Not good if you have different brews in a cooler of ice, though.

For carbonation, I like to stick to using the sugar that produced the alcohol.  So when I brew beer, I use dry malt extract.  For mead, I used honey.  The few times I made wine, I didn't carbonate.  If I ever do cider, I'll probably leave them still, but if I carbonated, I'd probably use apple juice concentrate.  It may be in my head, but it seems like it makes things taste more "pure" to use the same sort of sugars.

Vilkas, the only advice I can offer is what's been told to me in the past.  It is much easier and safer (i.e. no bottle bombs) to ferment dry and bottle, then sweeten in the glass.  Since you want it sparkling, I'd prime it like I'd do any beverage and sweeten it at time of consumption.   Just add a little simple syrup to the glass before you pour the wine.

Offline Vilkas

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Couple questions about getting started with the simple ciders
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »
Thanks Fritz. Since I'm not setup to force carbonate I think sweetening in the glass is the route I'll take. I prefer mine dry but my wife and guests have more of a sweet tooth so a simple syrup is a great idea. I may even infuse one with vanilla and possibly cinnamon. I haven't been able to wait so I've sampled my cider and cizer and sweetened with table sugar and also honey and both work well.