Author Topic: Winter in Missouri already?  (Read 199 times)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
Winter in Missouri already?
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
It's in the upper 20's right now, and we've actually got snow....and before Thanksgiving!  :happydance:

But they are calling for it to all clear out soon, and in place of snow, we're to be "blessed" with increasing winds resulting in an expected will chill of 0°F tonight, and -5°F tomorrow and Tuesday.
I'd so much rather have snow than just cold.  At least the snow provides some insulation plus added moisture in the soil (and fun for the kiddos to play in).  Alas most of the winter we just end up with it being blue cold and bone dry.

I made sure all of the critters had deep beds of clean straw this evening.  And while I still have my quail outside (haven't moved their cages into the barn yet), their cages are blanketed and tarped and they have deep shavings and straw in their attached "houses," plus the cages are on the east side of the shed so they have that added windbreak.  We've got three cords of wood cut/split/stacked near the house, with a few more out in the lot to be brought up to the house as needed.  And oldest son brought home a nice supply of fresh meat from the woods yesterday afternoon. ;)

Offline gpowers01

• Prepper
Re: Winter in Missouri already?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »

Snowed a bit here as well around the Saint Louis metro area.

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:
 I'm hoping that the cold winds coming help keep --^ at bay when the Ferguson Grand Jury announcement is made!

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
:zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:
 I'm hoping that the cold winds coming help keep --^ at bay when the Ferguson Grand Jury announcement is made!

;D
But yet true.   

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
Too cold too soon for me. We didn't get anything but a dusting of snow, and I am glad of that. I didn't want to have to start chipping ice already.

I used to like snow when I was younger, now I kinda hate the stuff. Makes everything harder. When we got that big snow in 2013 I would have been fine living the rest of my life without seeing snow.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
It warmed up a bit here today so worked a bit outside, but now they are calling for freezing rain tonight and tomorrow.  Nasty.  :(