Author Topic: Episode-993- Listener Calls for 10-05-12  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Episode-993- Listener Calls for 10-05-12
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
The Survival Podcast http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com

SERIES:     TSP
EPISODE:  993
DATE:        October 5, 2012
TITLE:       Episode-993- Listener Calls for 10-05-12

SOURCE FILE:
http://www.survivalpodcast.net/audio/2012/10-12/epi-00993-calls-10-5-12.mp3

FILE ARCHIVE:   http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/calls-for-10-0
5-12

DESCRIPTION:
Today I take your calls on gardening, solar, pellet guns,alternative energy, real estate, silver, livestock, permaculture, wells, climate change  and more.
Remember to be on a show like this one just pick up your phone and call 866-65-THINK. The best way to improve your chances of being on the air is ask your question or make your point up front, then provide details.
Also please do your best to call from a quite area with a good connection and speak up so you can be well heard. I can’t put all calls on the air but I do my best to get most of them on.
Join Me Today As I Respond to Your Calls and Discuss…
What to do if you have stumps in a garden area
Thoughts on leaves as mulch
Thoughts on radiant barriers and roof insulation
Other ways to keep a house cool during hot weather
Making a land purchase decision on multi-parcel acreage
Does butter need to be in the refrigerator
Determining hogs per acre for pastured pork
Making a choice to sell and rent a house or stay put as an owner
Why has China risen so fast and how are they positioned for the future
For small silver units is fractional silver or junk silver the best option
How do you protect your 401K funds with out liquidation
Thoughts on sand point wells
The real threat of climate change without concern for CO2
Pellet gun hunting of citified squirrels
How to store food that is paleo diet friendly
What good does a third party vote do
What I mean when I say there is no difference between Obama and Romney, it isn’t what you think
Resources for today’s show…
Members Support Brigade
Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
Join Our Forum
TSP Copper
Interview with Jeffery Yago of DTI Solar
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.

INTRO & CLOSING SONG:
“Revolution is You” by Gregg Yows

TRANSCRIPTION PROVIDED BY:
Hootie

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Episode-993- Listener Calls for 10-05-12
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:56:12 AM »
[00:12:27]

Jack Spirko: Great call, lets take another one.

[00:12:30]

NJ Steve: Hey Jack, this is Steve from New Jersey. I have a question that I think would be good for Steve Harris. I wonder if you could talk about radiant barriers for attic cooling. I did some research online. One website talked about using tinfoil instead of using aluminium foil or instead of using the commercial grade radiant barriers. That got me thinking how they worked. If it is just a reflective surface that is necessary. If recycled mirrors or reflective surfaces from recycled sheet metal might do the same trick? If you could answer that question or explain how radiant barriers work for an attic, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for a great show, bye.

[00:13:23]

Jack Spirko:  That is definitely a great question for Mr. Steven Harris. Steve let us hear your answer to the question on radiant barriers.

[00:13:32]

Steven Harris: Steve from New York, thank you very much for calling into the expect panel. I have got your question. No mirrors will not work. Mirrors are for visible light. They are not for reflecting thermal radiation which is infrared radiation which is non visible light. You are going to have to use mylar or you are going to have to use aluminium foil shiny side out. These are called front surface reflectors or first surface reflectors. The surface reflects the heat and the light. The actual surface of the aluminium or the mylar reflects the heat and the light. It is called a first surface reflector because there is no glass to go through. If you had mirrors then the heat has to go through the glass, hit the mirror, and go back through the glass. The glass is IR opaque which means it absorbs all of heat and it gets warm. If you think of those super movies where spec ops and satellites are looking at heat images of people through a house and through windows those are myths. Thermal imaging can not see through a window let alone through the wall of a house. Glass is thermally opaque, just like a brick wall. You do not want your heat going through a brick wall, hitting a reflector, and then going back through the brick wall. It just creates a heat source inside the roof of your house. Sheet metal will not work. It has to be a polished stainless steel. It has be very reflective. If you have got any scrap stainless steel sheets around, let me know. I will pay you a lot more for them then for putting them into your attic. "Commercial grade" radiant barriers are just large sheet of mylar sheeting. They are thin like a space blanket but bigger on roles, so it is easier to lay it all out. It is the practice to put this thermal radiation the floor of your attic to keep the heat from getting into the room below. This is done by people who don't know much about thermodynamics. It makes sense, put it on the roof and prevent it from getting into the room below. What you really want to do is you want to put it on ceiling of the attic. You want  to staple it to the roof rafters that are above your head and reflect back that radiation as soon as it gets in. In thermal heating there is radiation which is what your are trying to reflect. That is the sun shining on you. That is radiant radiation heating. There is conduction, that is like putting your hand on something and you feel the heat or the cold. You touch an ice cube, that is conduction. There is convection. That is heat being moved by a fluid. Heat being moved by air or heat being moved by the ocean that is convection. Your forced air furnace at home that burns natural gas, turns on the blower, and heats house that is convection heating. A radiant barrier only prevents radiation heating. It is no substituent for insulation in your attic. It is an augmentation to the insulation in your attic. It helps make it better. You can't just replace it with reflective stuff. You have to have the pink stuff, ground up newspaper, the cellulose insulation, or the SafeTouch stuff from Dow Chemicals which is really awesome or my favorite... What your really want to do to insulate your house from the heat of the summer sunshine and really save money on your AC bill, is that you want to use my favorite type of insulation which is spray foam. You want to spray foam the roof of the attic. That would be the inside top of the attic, the part right above your head, and right bellow the shingles. This keeps all of the heat  our of the attic. If it is not in the attic it will not com down into your house. This is the smart place to put the insulation. If you also still put insulation on the floor of the attic, that is even better. Typically you spray foam the attic rafters and you will have your in place pink insulation on the floor of the attic. This is double insulation it work great. No, despite what everyone says... Of course everyone who has said this has never done it and I have. This will not hurt the your shingles. Everyone always says, "It is going to hurt my shingles." No it is not, in fact it is going to extend the life of your shingles. Your shingles are better off being warm all the time then they are to go through thermal cycling. If they are really hot from the sunshine, then the wind blows and they cool down, then they get really hot, then rain goes on them, or the temperature changes. Think of it, you would rather have your shingles at one temperature or would you rather have them expanding, contracting, expanding, and contracting as the wind blows and they change temperature as clouds go over head and everything else? No, it is better to have insulation behind them. Of course you will not find one roofing guy that will tell you this but again that is because roofing guys don't use spray foam insulation and they haven't done this. You will have to call a company in to spray foam your attic. They will have a truck outside with some long thin hoses, but they do a really great job. These guys are all pros and they do it very well. Yes I have done spray foaming on this scale. with a large spray foam gun. It is awesome. It is cheaper to have a truck  come then it is to get the cans from Home Depot and do it yourself. That would get pretty expensive because you would need about 4 inches of foam stuck to the inside of your rafters. Now that you got 4 inches of foam... It sticks like glue. Now you have 4 inches of foam glued directly on to the inside of your roof. You got a composite roof. It is like having half a surfboard, fiberglass and insulation. It is incredibly strong. This would mean something if you are inside tornado alley or you are in hurricane country. You would keep your roof when everyone else's is being torn apart. If you don't have enough insulation in the attic floor, that is below your feet. Take it out  and have them spray foam the floor at the same time that they do the ceiling. They will give you a really great price on it. Now you have a superstructural house and you got the best insulation in the roof as well as the best insulation in floor of the attic, which is the roof of your room. If you are building a home from scratch and you happen to be doing stick and frame construction. Which is 2 by 4, drywall and stuff. Then spray foam the inside of the entire house. Don't roll out the pink stuff. Don't blow in the ground up cellulose. Do the entire thing in spray foam. The entire house will now be a compost, very strong, and airtight. That is the number one thing in energy savings. Whether is it summer or winter time you want your house air tight. Seal all the gaps and all the leaks. It cost a bit more to do spray foam, but again you get your money back in the savings quickly, both in the winter heat and summer AC. If you don't want to spend the money on spray foam, there is something else you can do. I have a book... Which should be my line like "you might be a redneck." My favorite line is "I have a book" called 'How to Really Save Money and Energy in Cooling Your Home.' It is in the heating and cool section of USH2.com. I will but a link to it at the very bottom of my website Solar1234.com. That is my website I give out all the time.  it has all my radio shows on it. At the very bottom I put the links I do for the panel questions. The very bottom of the page at Solar1234.com I will put a link to my book on USH2. It is blue and white you can't miss it. It is called 'How to Really Save Money and Energy in Cooling Your Home.' This book has to do with putting water on your roof very gradually. It takes the heat away from the roof and prevents the heat from getting into attic. If it is not getting into your attic then it is not getting into your room. Instead of having your roof at 140 degrees (Fahrenheit) or more in the sunshine. You will have roof at dewpoint of the water evaporating. You want enough water going down your roof so that is just barely does not make it into the rain water gutter system. This book shows you how to do this and all of fundamentals of how your house get warm. Once you see the diagrams, what I said about spray foaming will be so easy apparent it is amazing. The diagrams in the book are well worth it on there own. What is not in the book that I am going to tell your here that good customer of mine has done, and you can probably even do this with out the book. He has done this better than anyone else has ever done who has gotten this book. He is in Florida. This works where it is hot and humid. He uses hydroponic water timers and hydroponic water valves. Every 5 minutes he will put 30 sec of water on his roof using a black hose with small holes drilled into them, like 1 inch poly tubing. It is black and you just drill holes into it very foot or every 6 inches it just leaks it onto the roof. This has drastically lowered his AC bill in the summer time. He tells me many days in the summer in Florida he doesn't even turn the AC on. That is how cool it keeps his house. That is what a little technology and a little water can do for you. Yes I have done this on my house when I was in Michigan. I put a soaker hose on the top of my roof line. i turned the water flow on real low. Yeah it makes a difference big time. No, it will not hurt your shingles it helps them stay at a constant temperature. Again I will put the book up and you can see it at the very bottom of Solar1234.com. It has a blue and white cover on it. It is called 'How to Really Save Money and Energy in Cooling Your Home.' Steve I hope I answered your question and gave you the long answer about everything that you wanted to know. I love expert panel questions guys. Call them in on a regular basis. I will answer them right away and back to Jack. Have fun guys, all my best, see ya.

[00:24:49]

Jack Spirko: Great stuff from Steven Harris as always.

[00:24:51]

[01:25:55]

Jack Spirko: On the alternative energy thing. Steve Harris heard my interview from with the guy DTI solar (Reference: Episode-987- Jeffery Yago of DTI Solar). He wanted to have an opportunity to talk about the good parts about solar. I am going to put him on now for that. This is going to be Steve Harris on why solar energy is in fact a good thing.

[01:26:14]

Steven Harris: Hello everyone in the Survival Podcast. This is Steve Harris. I have been having a lot of questions from people on solar photovoltaic. I wanted to further address this a little bit with you. Especially since jack just had a wonderful expert on about using solar photovoltaic for preparedness. People have been writing saying., "Steve you don't like solar." and "Steve you don't like solar." Actually Steve Harris does like solar panels. Many times they are a severe distraction, a gimmick, and a gizmo. You get fooled by the fancy technology and the shape and color of the panels, and think it is cool. You ignore what is underneath your nose first. That is why I have been kind of pushing down solar is because I wanted you to focus on your car. I wanted you to know that right now without spending a penny you car could act as a generator for a majority of the things in your house. It would do a really good job. Your car is there all the time. You probably got two of them. I didn't want to get you distracted. I wanted  you to stay focused and on the point. The same thing with the generators. Solar panels don't work when it is cloudy. Solar panels don't at night. A generator does work anytime you to pull the generator. Again, the generator runs on fuel. Solar panels run from the sun. You can look at it as, "Damn, the power went out. It is the middle of the night. My sump pump is not working. We need well water and everything else." I wanted you to be focused on that "I can use a generator to solve this problem." For you to put into your own mind exactly what your priorities and potentials are for your backup power systems. I just had a gentleman write to me and said that he wanted some of my recommendations on a small solar photovoltaic and battery system for his house. Both to run moderate size inverters off of and some direct 12 volt lights and changers of off, just directly off the battery in case the inverter fails. Two is one, one is none. He didn't want to back feed the grid. He didn't want to power his entire house. He wanted something to provide him with a moderate amount of usable power for his small electronic, his TV, his iPad, his phone, recharge his communications, recharge AA batteries, run headlamps, etc... Good stuff. My advice to him was before you go off and get a solar power system with many months and maybe even a year of really good power. Before you go spend this $100, $200, $300, $400, $500, $600, $700 you got to have the food and water first. There is no sense in looking at something that will power your house for months and months and months when you have a car that will power your house for 7 days and you only have less than a weeks worth of food. Before you do off and look at spending money on the nice, flashy, and cool stuff like solar panels. Which when used right are a very good tool for preparedness. I would recommend you look at what is going to kill you first. That is the 3-3-3-3-3-3 scenario. What will kill you in 30 days? No food will kill you in 30 days. What will kill you in 3 days? Not having water will kill you in 3 days. What will kill you in 3 hours? Drastic exposure, overheating, and dehydration to the sun kill you in up to 3 hours. Especially if you are in the desert, exerting and in a stressful situation. What can kill you in 3 minutes? Not breathing can kill you in 3 minutes. What could incapacitate or kill you in 30 seconds to 30 minutes. That is exposure to colds. Your first priority is your mobile portable shelter. That is your clothing. You got to make sure you got clothing adequate for yourselves so you can 3 seconds to 30 minutes of cold weather. 3 seconds would get you, if you got immersed in 28 degree water. I should say 30 seconds would, not 3 seconds but you get my point. Then you need to make sure you got what will kill you in 3 days. You got to have enough water. You got the make sure what will kill you in 30 days. You got to have enough food.  Now you are at the 30 day level and you are beyond the gasoline that would be in your car and everything. Now I would suggest you take the expert advice of people that Jack has had on the shows regarding solar photovoltaic. Take my advice on it. You are free to write me questions. This is the appropriate time where I think it will work for you. With that mentioned I just wanted to add this little bit of clarity for the expert panel back to you guys because... I really respond to you guys. You guys write the questions and I just have to put out the answers. With that said this is Steve Harris saying thank you very much.

[01:31:54]

Jack Spirko: Well great input from Steve Harris. I know we are going really long today.