Author Topic: Right to Farm Missouri  (Read 363 times)

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Right to Farm Missouri
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
I have done some reading on the proposed amendment to the Missouri constitution on the right to farm. While I am all for small farms even some big farms I don't think either is in any danger in Missouri which is very pro-farm and pro-small farm. This bill is very vague and it is being pushed heavily by big ag. So far my decision is to vote no, what do my fellow Missourians think?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Right to Farm Missouri
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »
I have done some reading on the proposed amendment to the Missouri constitution on the right to farm. While I am all for small farms even some big farms I don't think either is in any danger in Missouri which is very pro-farm and pro-small farm. This bill is very vague and it is being pushed heavily by big ag. So far my decision is to vote no, what do my fellow Missourians think?

I am not there, but had to chime in. When has big Ag been for the little guy? It means there is very good benefits for them and historically means they get to push the little guy out of the competition. What is the bill number?

Cedar

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:23:16 PM »
It is a ballot measure:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2014ballot/

Official Ballot Title
Constitutional Amendment 1

[Proposed by the 97th General Assembly (First Regular Session) CCS#2 for SS for HCS HJR Nos. 11 & 7]

Official Ballot Title:

Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure that the right of Missouri citizens to engage in agricultural production and ranching practices shall not be infringed?

The potential costs or savings to governmental entities are unknown, but likely limited unless the resolution leads to increased litigation costs and/or the loss of federal funding.

Fair Ballot Language:

A “yes” vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to guarantee the rights of Missourians to engage in farming and ranching practices, subject to any power given to local government under Article VI of the Missouri Constitution.

A “no” vote will not amend the Missouri Constitution regarding farming and ranching.

If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.

I agree that big ag is something to keep an eye on, even if you make your living farming conventionally the big wigs are very often not your friend. Missouri has been heading in the right direction legislatively for awhile now and this bill seems good on quick glance, but it could easily be used to advance commercial farming gone wrong.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Baker creek says to vote no, too.

Offline scottwold

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »
I too am confused on this.  I'm leaning towards NO, as I don't see what problem is being specifically addressed.  MO state legislature is very pro agriculture. 

Offline scottwold

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »
For what it's worth, a response from my state representative.

Scott:  I personally don't like tinkering with the language of the constitution however to answer your question, the purpose is to put into our constitution safeguards against groups from outside Missouri that want to change the way we currently farm...primarily H.S.U.S. (Humane Society of U.S.). They have tried in the past to push for various things as well as P.E.T.A. and the Sierra Club.  These groups have attempted to control livestock and how they are raised including the way they are killed to produce meat. They've also tried to limit the number of hogs and cattle that can be raised. They question whether child labor laws should apply to children working on farms. Generally speaking...they like to be disruptive in order to remain relevant and continue gather funds from their supporters. 
There's a need to add section 35 to Article One in order to allow protection for local government regulations as it pertains to Article six.  That way local laws will supercede the new provisions of the constitution should this amendment pass.
I hope that helps answer your concerns.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »
Scott the problem I still have is that corporate farms will be treated the same as small family farms, and they could try to use the protection for improper farming practices.

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »
Scott the problem I still have is that corporate farms will be treated the same as small family farms, and they could try to use the protection for improper farming practices.

Wouldn't what the State Representative outlined, be worse?  I get what you fear.  Lobbyists often find ways to help one side (to get the votes) while helping their own interests further. 

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »
Wouldn't what the State Representative outlined, be worse?  I get what you fear.  Lobbyists often find ways to help one side (to get the votes) while helping their own interests further.

They are both bad really. I don't like the Humane Society or other city slickers coming into Missouri and trying to dictate how we conduct business, but I also don't want a CAFO moving next door to my family farm either.

Differentiating between a family farm and a corporate farm and only giving the protection to the family farms would get my vote. Currently family farms are in no danger at all in Missouri, but guess who is in danger? Then guess who are putting the most money behind getting this amendment?

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Well it was close but it passed,
Yes    498,751    50%
No    496,223    50%

The good news is a lot of good stuff also passed like:

Right to Bear Arms

Yes    602,076    61%
No    385,422    39%

Right to E-Privacy

YES: 728,549, 74.756%

NO: 246,020, 25.244%

Missouri is still going in the right direction.

Offline scottwold

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
Funny how the "Guv" chose to have these on the Primary ballots, and not as part of the General Election this fall :-) 

Hard to believe that a simple majority is all that is needed to amend the Constitution.  You'd think it would take at least 51%  !! 

Glad to see the Right to Bear Arms and E-Privacy amendments passed. 

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:27 PM »
I agree, I think the constitution should be harder to change or else it is too easily changed for popular/fad movements. It should be the base law that protects rights and keeps the government in its place.

It will be interesting to see how the right to arms amendment plays out. Missouri has been on the front lines for the last couple years on the gun rights issues. Which I am all for, it is just that pesky federal government we have to watch out for.

Offline JustCana

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
Bringing up this older thread to get some insight from this admendment passing in Missouri. Oklahoma is set to vote on what I'm hearing is the same amendment. Can someone from Missouri post about what impact it has had since it passed?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »
We have the right to farm for many years here in Oregon, basically to keep housing projects from pushing third generation dairy farms off their property. You might want to compare bills/laws.

Cedar

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
Nothing has changed in Missouri that I can tell. Farms are not threatened here as in other states, so I am not aware of anyone using the law as a defense. The main reason I was against the law is the concern over it being used to protect poor farming practices like CAFO's. Oklahoma is a very free state, my bet is farms are in no danger their either. Seems the only use for the law is to protect big ag in rural free states like Oklahoma and Missouri. These states are not like other states like Michigan where the law was used to protect small farms in a state that is zoned. Missouri and Oklahoma are not zoned like many other states, you can practice agriculture wherever you please. Only exception I see to that is maybe metropolitan cities in these states. There are fields inside cities in my area like the city of Moberly. I see more risk to this law than benefit.