Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Don't panic.... don't panic...

<< < (2/3) > >>

mitchshrader:
Billy or other pot with tight lid. 2 cups water for one cup white rice. bring water to rolling boil, add rice + 1/4 tsp or more salt per cup rice, bring back to rolling boil, do not stir, put on tight fitting lid, remove from heat, insulate (cloth) and wait 20 minutes. increase '2nd rolling boil' time 1 minute for every 1000 feet above sea level. 10,000 feet, extra 10 minutes cooking time. The trick is finish it off the fire.

Trusty Mutsi:
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

1. Nice to see the recipe for rice. When I think of getting a lot of rice, dry beans, and grains, I wonder "Would I have enough water to cook all of that?"

Are these dry goods the best focus? I guess they are for their shelf life.

How do you use the dry grains? How do you make it into bread without electric?

2. My latest fear: Jack was mentioning (and I know it's just his opinion) how the suburbs are the worst place to live if the SHTF. Well, that's where I live. I was visiting a friend last night in the hospital and after taking to him, it sounds like interest rates are so bad nobody could buy our home if we put it on the market anyway, and I really don't think we can afford to pay for this home AND start paying off real estate somewhere farther out in the country.

So my primary fear right now is "Great, we're trapped in the worst place to be, and anything I save up will be stolen".

The bright side is we mostly have good neighbors, except the guy right behind us who looks like he sells drugs out of his van >:(

Joe:
This may be the only time I disagree with Jack, but I think that the suburbs would be a little bit better than actually inside the city.  I lived in minneapolis for about four years before moving to rural Iowa. (mostly due to anticipation of a SHTF)
Something I did was to plan an exit strategy if all the roads were at a standstill, or if they were closed due to the SHTF itself.  I managed to find a route out of the city on foot that I thought was pretty good.   Would have gotten my self, wife, son and bug out supplies out of major inhabited areas with one day of hard hiking, mostly through trees and along obstructions to avoid as much trouble as possible. 

Back to the subject.  I think you have a couple of major advantages in a SHTF.

1.  You are probably going to have some time before the looters and BG's pillage everything in the city and work themselves outward.
2.  You are closer to being out of the city.
3.  You have (hopefully) a little space around your house to see 'em coming.
4.  Most of the people around you live in a dream world that will paralyze them in the event of a SHTF and you will have the heads up which will allow you to react first.    They'll snooze.  They'll lose.

ColdHaven:

--- Quote from: mitchshrader on September 29, 2008, 10:59:11 PM ---Billy or other pot with tight lid. 2 cups water for one cup white rice. bring water to rolling boil, add rice + 1/4 tsp or more salt per cup rice, bring back to rolling boil, do not stir, put on tight fitting lid, remove from heat, insulate (cloth) and wait 20 minutes. increase '2nd rolling boil' time 1 minute for every 1000 feet above sea level. 10,000 feet, extra 10 minutes cooking time. The trick is finish it off the fire.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  :D I will try that next time. Of course, it is alot easier to use my rice cooker, but that is cheating. I need to find out how to make it without one.

I live in the country, but even here you have to worry. I know that down the street there are drug dealers. I wonder if the only thing keeping them from coming here is our dirt road.  ;D Reason I know there are is because of some people I have talked to. If SHTF I am worried that once their high comes down they will be either looking for food or violence. In either case, I would rather avoid them. Sometimes it isn't whether you are in the burbs or city, but the people around you that make the difference.

Edit - Added comment.

Trusty Mutsi:
Thanks for the advice guys.

Either way, I need to work with what I have. I don't have any debt outside of the house. We're going to tighten the belt, and I may even sell all my video game stuff. I'm better off without it anyway.

And we do already have a good amount of savings, but I don't make enough to save a lot on top of the mortgage. Maybe if house prices go down even more, we can actually afford to get something I'm looking for in the country on top of our mortgage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version