Author Topic: 3D printers on the homestead  (Read 1154 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
3D printers on the homestead
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:23:35 PM »
The hobbies for the homestead thread got me thinking about the uses for a 3D printer on the homestead.  I have no use for the normal little trinkets that many people print.  I work with a guy that makes tons of crap, but I don't want any of that laying around.  I purchased my 3D printer in order to make useful household stuff.  Here's some of the stuff that I have made to use around the homestead.

Here's the first really useful item that I made.  I mainly made this to prove to my wife that the printer was no just a toy.  It's just the handle to a Pampered Chef mini spatula, but it proved to her that I didn't just blow $200 for a new toy for me.

I use Harbor Freight storage cases for a lot of the stuff in my basement.  They are great, except there are just the standard bin sizes.  So I have printed out a bunch of bins for these cases.  I really like the resistor bins.  I can have 18 different compartments for resistors in the space of a single large bin.  Everything that's not yellow, I printed.

I'm a fan of Ryobi tools.  I have a bunch of the batteries.  This is a power supply that uses a Ryobi One battery to either give a 5V USB output or 0-18V output on the banana plugs.  I have mainly used this to power the fan to "turbo charge" my ceramic grill.  But I'll be using this for a lot of stuff while camping.

Now that it's Spring, I'll be planting the garden.  I've printed out a ton of these plant labels.  The black is just magic marker, but only because I have not gotten my printer dialed in to change filament color mid-print.  Once I get that right, I'll be printing the type in a different color.

I removed barbed wire off some fences.  That left a wide open fence post.  So I printed up these fence post caps to keep the water out.

I printed this just as a toy.  It is useful, but I doubt I'll use this for much.  It's a clamp that works surprisingly well for a plastic clamp.  There's quite a few parts, and they just screw together.

I reorganized my "network closet" and this is how I mounted my network gear.  That little orange thing is a RJ45 plug that keeps dust and debris out of the port, that's also printed.

These last couple are just tool storage items.  The first is to mount my Ryobi drills, glue gun and tire filler between the floor joists in the basement.

This last pic is a hanging mount for my Stihl Kombi attachments.  They keep dirt and debris out of the attachment and allows you to hang them out of the way.

I've printed very few decorative things.  I did print a COVID-19 bobble head, but not much other crap.

With COVID-19, I've also printed several masks that use either cotton pads, fabric or furnace filter material as the filter.  But the most useful item has been ear relief for keeping the elastic of a mask off your ears.  I've given out dozens of these things.  They are the longer red things in this pic.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: 3D printers on the homestead
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »

Very nice!  I'd pay good money for that if it fit Makita batteries.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
Printing can be fun and even useful for making 1-off items. 

Which 3D software are  you using?  Fusion 3d?

PLA/PETG or some other  filament?

I have played with the Prusa series a bit - I picked up a bunch of parts to upgrade the hardware one of these days.

The last item I made was a replacement cup for my rice cooker. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:41:03 PM »
That is some pretty cool work there, Fritz.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 07:54:00 AM »
That is really cool.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
I've used my printer more for hobby but it's been a huge money save. A lot of board games I play have multiple chits or other components and being able to print storage solutions (like your HF case) is really nice. I've printed chip clips and even small pieces that roll my tooth paste tube up so I get as much out of the tube as I can. My printer is currently silent as I had a nozzle clog that led to other failures. One day I'll take the time to get it back up and running...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »
My main reason for starting this thread is because 3D printers are still seen mostly to be toys.  Even in the hobbies for the homestead thread seemed to lean that direction.  So wanted to put this together to show that it's not just a toy.

I'm using a Creality Ender 3 Pro and Cura slicer software.  I have yet to design something from scratch.  When I need something I look on Thingiverse and have always found what I need.  There are quite a few designs, like the plant labels, that use the customizer tool on Thingiverse.

Very nice!  I'd pay good money for that if it fit Makita batteries.
That's my favorite print so far.  The guy that designed it did a great job.  The hardest part is getting the USB port installed.  It snaps in place and it really felt like I was going to break the case.

nice fritz....
want to impress the lady? print something like this
Pretty cool, if we went out more often, I'd make that for my wife to carry in her purse.  Lots of patterns for them on Thingiverse.

I had forgotten that I printed a mask pattern for cloth masks.  I was making Olson masks for my family and friends.  the first couple I used a paper pattern.  After a couple of uses I needed a new pattern.  So I printed this one and it let me cut more layers with my roller cutter thing.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
Just a couple more uses for my 3D printer.

I'm still trying to get organized in the basement.  The vast majority of what I've printed to get organized.  Here's several tool hangers.  In front is a hanger for a Ryobi Extend It string trimmer, in the middle is a Ryobi reciprocal saw, in the back is a hanger for a Stihl Kombi system attachment

The tongue jack on my utility trailer had a missing cap.  Water was getting into the gears.  I printed this cap to keep the water out.

Finally, it's garden time.  Time to print the plant labels.  The eggplant label is just white with magic marker to make the letters readable.  But I figured out how to print in different colors.  So the majority of these are white labels with the names printed in black so they won't wash off.