Author Topic: River Cottage link  (Read 5171 times)

Offline JetstreamJonny

• Prepper
River Cottage link
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:06:35 AM »
Rummaging around on the worldwidewonderweb I found the River Cottage forum which has some great discussion topics for homestead / self-sufficient living.
http://forum.rivercottage.net/index.php

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: River Cottage link
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »
I recently read a book by the gentleman who started 'River Cottage'. Pretty good read, give notes and his impressions about raising livestock from rabbits to poultry to pigs and cows. Also writes about growing your own food, harvesting wild plants/animals, and give some pretty good (if not fancy) recipes.
Thanks for the link!

Offline Alchemyguy

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »
I've watched pretty much all of the "River Cottage" series of television programs that were aired in the UK.    He's very big into DIY food and living as self sufficient and community minded lifestyle as possible.  Mind you, he came at it wealthy and with television backing so he's had a bit of an edge, but his message is great; know where your food comes from and the people that produce it, produce it yourself as much as possible, and connect with the people around you.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »
I was impressed by his book. Really helped me think about changing how my family and I eat. And Jack helped quite a bit also.

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
Loved the River Cottage Series (with Hugh), that has to be my all time favorite series. I'm sure that he made it look easier than it actually is though. I would highly recommend anyone who can get it to watch it, I only watched in on TV, I've never seen the DVD sets or anything.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
I recently read a book by the gentleman who started 'River Cottage'. Pretty good read, give notes and his impressions about raising livestock from rabbits to poultry to pigs and cows. Also writes about growing your own food, harvesting wild plants/animals, and give some pretty good (if not fancy) recipes.
Thanks for the link!

I recently picked up the cookbook.

Not sure if I could eat a lot of what is in this book just yet. I haven't been that hungry yet.

I heard about it from http://www.thegastrocast.com/ where he talks about the River Cottage show and such on a couple of his shows.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
I was rather turned off by his description of 'preparing' squid...