Author Topic: Suburban Home  (Read 3577 times)

Michael

Suburban Home
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »
Folks I will have many questions in the future

My first one pertains to what are my options with a suburban home that is within as subdivision.  I have just
shy of one acre of property.  Good size back yard and good size front yard.  What suggestions can I get
to allow my property to grow to a more self reliant home.  I will eventually build a privacy fence around the
entire backyard that will include a garden and a greenhouse.  I would like to have imput as to how
I can make this property more secure as well as more productive.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

PS:  Jack says 5,000,000 marching on Washington to visit their Senate and Congress.....I say every one of them
should bring every credit card they own and dump them on the steps of the Capitol.   Man would that be
a sight.

Michael

Pokethis

Re: Suburban Home
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »
You have plenty of room!  I live also in a subdivision and plan to stay put if something happens.  My meltdown is this recession right now.  I can survive a flood or tornado (if not too bad that it kills me).  To me the economic problem is worse because it effects the entire globe and not just a dot on a map.  I just plan on more crime and price problems.  What I am doing is I added to my protection by getting a shot gun (crime rising) and gathering food.  I also made a garden and plan on canning what I don't eat.  I'm also working to reduce debt and moving money from the dollar (gold and silver, swiss francs) to keep some value.  I upgraded my first aid supplies, got fuel for camp stove etc.  Stuff I would need to do if for some reason I could not pay my power bill.  I don't expect a total breakdown.  Be practical.  There has never been a total break down of society that I can think of and things always return to the mid point.

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »
"What suggestions can I get to allow my property to grow to a more self reliant home."

well, what do you rely on the system for that you could possible provide for yourself? the two main things are food and water
food - sounds like you already have a plan for that
water - couple barrels attached to the downspouts, then ran through a filter (check diy section for home made berkey)
and you've got potable water covered, as well as cooking, sanitation, garden water, etc.

you can look into some sort of solar set up to provide your own power. or maybe even wind power, but city regs or hoa might
poo poo a large structure like that.

as far as security...hate to be captain obvious, but arm yourself and know how to use what you have.
install some motion sensor lights.
the fence is good, but won't really keep anyone out if they really want to come in.
a well trained canine might deter them though.

just a couple thoughts....

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
Wow, I can only dream about an acre.  Here are some ideas:

1.  Garden - you could realistically grow 100% of your veggies depending on where you live
2.  Reduce heating bill by adding insulation, replacing windows, caulking, sealing electrical outlets, using window film, etc
3.  Replace all incandescents with fluorescent lights
4.  Put all vampire devices on a power strip and shut them off when not using
5.  Meet your neighbors, share unique talents
6.  Plant fruit and nut trees and berry bushes
7.  Add alternative energy if you have extra money
8.  How about a couple of laying hens?
9.  Support local agriculture
10.  Plant trees to shade your house in the summer

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:43 PM »
This family grows 6000 lbs of organic food per year in the yard of their suburban home. That 1/5 of an acre!! :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyXFcbFoAd8

That solves the food question and could provide additional income as well. Throw in a little aquaponic ( http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1618 ) setup and now you have fish and fertilizer too. A "water feature", like a Koi pond, adds to the value of your property.Put Talapia or bass in it and its a food source. How about some trees that produce fruit and add value to the property as well.

P.S.

Please follow up and let us know what you decide to do maybe with some pics when things get moving. Its inspiring to see what others are doing. The more inspired people there are around the better off we'll all be.