Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

13 Skills for Mountain State Prepper

(1/2) > >>

d3nni5:

Working on my skills for 13 Skills.   Quick entry today to get started, will detail things a little more.

1.)   CCW:   Training complete, application submitted.
2.)   Archery:  Bought the kid a bow, girlfreind and I are next.
3.)   Dehydrating:   On track, veggies, beef jerky both turning out goode.
4.)   Marksmenship:   Appleseed finished, no rifleman patch yet.
5.)   Food Storage:    Goal 6 months, have maybe 4 months.
6.)   Fitness:   Not sure how this is a skill, but added it.   Want to bike a 30 mile round trip.   15 miles is about my limit now.
7.)   Fishing:   Want to hone my fly fishing, something I have put down for about 5 years or more.
8.)   Gardening:   Trying to get a Three Sisters garden in this year.   
9.)   Beer Making:   Skill not started.
10.) Knife Making:  Skill not started.
11.) First Aid:   Skill not started.
12.) Water Catchment:  Skill not started.
13.) Barbering:   Straight razor shaving, skill not started.

d3nni5:

did a 15 mile bike ride today, part of my fitness goal.   legs feel like jello.

d3nni5:

CCW Complete!

See posts here..

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42471.0

d3nni5:

So, I brushed up on some electrical skills this past weekend.   For the last two years I have been running my pool filter from a long (and expensive) 10 gauge extension cord.   I always had to pick it up when mowing the yard, and it never stayed in the outlet because of its weight.

I had bought the materials to do this over a year ago, and finally decided to get to it this past weekend. 

I started by digging a ditch about 45 feet long, pulling out way too many rocks, it took the most time in this project.   To be extra safe, I used both UL Listed under ground feeder cable (10 gauge) and 3/4" conduit.    I bought an all weather electric box with a GFCI outlet.

I was debating about placing the outlet box up on the deck itself, but felt it would be in too much of a "splash zone", so I set a post out about 3 feet, and mounted up the box there.

I put it all together.   You may notice the outlet i used here is NOT the GFCI outlet, that is because I have one already on the upstream side of the circut, so it would be redundant, and I've had issues wiring these fault outlets together on the same circut.

I was channeling my father throughout the work (he was an electrician by trade and taught me a lot).   The thing I'm proudest of is that I managed to get the sod back into the ground with very little grass dying off.

defib:
Hello from Wyoming County neighbor...good to see another Mountaineer on here.  Your electrical work looks really good from what I can tell.  I did some wiring for a temporary solar panel system install last summer but it didn't turn out anywhere close to that clean and neat.  My hat is off to you sir.  I did learn a lot about solar systems though if you ever need any help.

Take care,

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version