Author Topic: Indiana beekeeping school  (Read 689 times)

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
Indiana beekeeping school
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:14:44 PM »
Would anyone else be interested in this?
I think I would like to attend.

http://www.indianabeekeepingschool.com/

cl_willard

Re: Indiana beekeeping school
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »
I attended in January 2009.  You'll love it! 

I got my first hive in May 2009 from Graham's Beeworks.  My girls are doing great! 

Kathleen Prough (Indiana Apiary Inspector) is SUPER nice and very helpful.  After about a month, you might ask her to come check out your hive and see how they're doing.  She just came out and checked out our hive to make sure they're ready for winter.

Be sure to get contact information from your classmates, so you can ask questions of each other.  You'll need the help.

Good luck!

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »
Thanks for the feed back. One question, did you attend the live session or the video classroom?

Sneak

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
I live in Gary and think a funny sign might beeeee..

"Beeware of flying insects" in my yard or something funnier.

Feel free to set up shop in my yard. My kids will hate it. LOL

cl_willard

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:56:12 AM »
(I'm sorry for my slow response time.)
I attended the video session.  It was great for us.  We had a much smaller group (maybe 10 people), and we had two instructors on site.  So, we got more one-on-one attention and could ask more questions between lectures.  I would recommend the video session.  It's live feed from Indianapolis, and we could ask questions from our location to the speaker in Indy, and he answered them to everyone.

mtforge

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
I've been interested in starting beekeeping. This looks like a great way to learn. I'm just south of Fort Wayne so it would be easy to attend a video session.
I thought it would benefit our garden and fruit trees. My wife isn't thrilled. How much work is involved, danger to grandkids or wife? Cost for a small start up?

Mark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
It looks like apx.$500 for the class and a starter kit.

cl_willard

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »
Work...
More than I thought during first year.  Weekly hive inspections take about an hour (longer for me because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be seeing.  pay extra attention to the hive inspection instructions during the class.)

My bees were sort of lazy and weren't making much honey this summer, so I had to feed them sugar syrup every day in August and September.  Mine were going through about 5 lbs of sugar a day.  Bigger $ than I thought.

Keep in close touch with Indiana Apiary Inspector (Kathleen Prough).  She'll come check out your hive after they've settled down (about two months).  She'll give you a progress report on how they're doing.

Plan on buying a beetle trap and doing the powdered sugar treatment for Varroa mites.  We had both in our hive within two months of setting up.

Gear...
Graham's Beeworks is a great place to get all your gear and such.

I don't use a bee suit at all.  I used it once, and that was it.  I wear a regular long-sleeved shirt (bees HATE plaid and flannel), bee gloves, and the head gear (I got the safari-type hat and net).  Honestly - I'm wearing shorts and flip flops...but always gloves and head gear.  But, my bees are especially friendly and calm.

Definitely get a smoker and hive tool - comes with beginners kits.

Danger...
Haven't been stung once.  I sit about 3 feet away from the hive entrance and drink beer and watch them.  They don't bother me a bit.  BUT, I'm not a little kid, so I'm not all jumpy and fidgety.  I hear the bees don't like fast movements.

Cost...
I think we spent $400 on the beginner kit (hive, gear, etc.).  About $100 on first NUC of bees (box full of bees and queen).  Lots of money on sugar (bought at a warehouse club in 10 lb bags).  No money on bandaids!

cl_willard

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
Oh, and danger to wife will be minimal - she won't get anywhere near them :)