Author Topic: Michigan group???  (Read 852 times)

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
Michigan group???
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »
One more try:

Well I have been thinking for a while, and have actuality tried for a while ( the best part of three years)( on a different forum)   and so I thought I would give it one more shot.

I would like to find out is there is any interest in forming some kind of prepers group for Michigan.  There may be some of you that know that there is a nation wide prepers net that is already running.
If you want to check it out
http://www.taprn.com/

But it has run into the same problems as so many others to wide spread and different needs. You never talk to the same person two times in a row.

The needs are so different for every one even the folks with in the same state it makes it almost impossible to come up with a group that is operating under the same plan.

We all have different needs we all live in different locations and the biggest thing seems to be that We all look at the same problem differently and come out with much different answers.

So what I am thinking is a group that swaps Ideas, thoughts does a few group buys, stuff is much cheaper that way, an maybe a meet and great once in a while. That’s it, no more unless we want to.

Any of the above would still take some commitment so if you just plain don’t have the time or don’t think it is worth it,  it would not be a good thing to start. As it would crash in a few weeks as the last group we had going did. It stopped being fun and those involved did not see the value, or maybe I see too much value in it not sure.

As most of us are scattered around the state it would also take a commitment to get into ham radio. As far as I know it is the only form of communications that would work when all else fails.

And if we don’t have communications there is no since in starting something that will fall apart when the cell phones and internet is taken down so we cant disperse information. And it all gos down. I assume all of you have seen the new government take over of cells and Internet. Well they can’t turn off what they don’t control and can’t take all the air waves.

It does not need to be expensive as you can pick up an old HF rig that works on either 80 or 160 meters ( that will talk any place in the state at any time) for around $100.00 and the antenna is just a piece of wire cut to length. The license I think is about $15.00  and might take a few weeks of study, but would be well worth it.

The first license is the tech license and some people get it in a day or two of study and then take the test. That would give you local coverage but not state wide.

I really do feel that State group would be to every ones advantage in several ways. It can be very loose as just meet and great once in a while and swapping problems and ideas. I have solved many of the ones I have run into buy just talking to others about it. Some times it is no more than just another point of view.

But as we all have seen it is not something that I want to talk about with any of the others I work with or the guy at the hardware store as he/they might just be the one heading over to your house when things get bad.

I guess nothing really to stop any of you from doing the same thing other that you might have a much better idea of what you might run into than the  local hardware guy does and I would hope that every one here on the site knows the advantages in keeping the prepping low profile.

Any way if you are interested drop a line if you are not we will let the thread die.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Michigan group???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »
To address a few of your statement:

I would not mind joining/forming a group, and may have a couple other interested people.

I like the idea of group buys and meet n greets.

My prep budget is about $100/month. So far I have been saving for some big ticket stuff like the shotgun, and now an AK. After that, ammo.  I make sure I secure at least 20 pounds of food a month, though.

As far as ham radio requirement, this is the dealbreaker for me. I may get into it someday, I may not. While comms are important and outside world news may be a great thing, it is on the very far end of my prep list. This being said, if you are making it a requirement for YOUR organization of a Michigan group, I'm afraid I'm out for now, and the near term. This is not said with malice or rejection in mind, just a difference in where your prep methodology varies from mine.   :)

All the other state-oriented stuff is a great idea. We should

1. Get together and compare notes and inventories
2. Get to an LDS cannery together and can up some chow
3. Hit the gun ranges
4. Maybe go in on a class and get a group rate (tactical, whatever)
5. Demonstrations on what we each know (including your HAM stuff!)

Of course, let's start small. I'm not going in on some BOL land with a bunch of people I don't know (I know you weren't suggesting this... just an example!). After a few events we can see how we all coalesce and go from there.

D

Offline beagle

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59:39 AM »
a while back on a different forum, I found this info, i never did anything with it ??? but should have

http://arrl-mi.org/?q=node/157

it's a one day tech class.  this one is being held in ann arbor. but it looks like they hold several all over !!

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:50:01 AM »
D

I may have not worded the post very well, and if I mislead any one with the wording I am sorry for that.  First I have no interest in having "MY"( YOUR organization)  as you put it.

My thoughts where a few people with no head or tail that are like minded. All going in the same basic direction working at it together. As I said in my post we all have different needs and directions. So I am sure we all will take care of the needs we have, and we will all go that way. That does not mean communications between us during that time would not help. All of the things you listed on your list are good ones , and would be nice to do.

But as I also listed in the post with different needs,  Communications is very close to the head of my list,  The things you listed  are good ones but communications on my list is not for the reason you listed.

While comms are important and outside world news may be a great thing, it is on the very far end of my prep list).

The reasons they are at the head of my list is, to communicate with my family and any other like minded people that  I am working with to exchange information of what is going on when an event happens, and as it continues what is happening.  Either getting better getting worse moving closer or further away. Information from persons I have been working with for a while I would consider much better than any we might get on a local radio station. What better way to get reliable tactical information than talk to other like minded persons, and hear the hundreds of hams giving information all over the USA

I can already communicate with my family, we have that down If I can't communicate with other like minded persons around me that I have been working with I just don't see the since in starting something that will be severed the second an event takes place. What better information source than those around you, it would be like cutting off a very reliable information source that by itself could save your family

I have  on at least three occasions used it to communicate with them,( the family)  to organize and plan and  set a meeting location, bring my son home from school when he was away at collage in a dorm with no electricity phones or information. I got ahold of him  and we grouped up at my home so we could decide either  to bug out or not during a problem.
One of these times was the east coast black out. When all cell phones wired phones  other communications of any kind and grid power was gone.

I would be very open to any other kind of communications that we could do that with, but I know of none. With the governments resent legislation that allows them to take over internet  and cell usage  during an emergency I have no question it is not for a good cause, I would guess the dependability will be worse and I want to make sure I can communicate with my family during those times, after all that is the whole reason for doing all of this. As far as knowing what is going on around me that is also Icing on the cake and another good reason to have equipment that can hear what police, Fire, FEMA, and most government entices  are doing .

I hope that clears up my post a little, Again sorry if it sounded different.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:58:29 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »
Oh hey, there was no misleading on your part. I hope mine didn't come across as terse since that isn't the way I meant it. I respect your effort to try to organize something, and just want to say "I'm In" as long as one item in your priority list can be adjusted. If not, "I'll help" as much as I can, and will continue to applaud and support the organization effort.

When I said " This being said, if you are making it a requirement for YOUR organization of a Michigan group,.....", I didn't imply you were forming a group or becoming the leader or possessor of said group.  I was trying to suggest that if being a HAM operator is a priority for you to want to spearhead the organization of a group, then I couldn't be immediately involved.

I made this statement based on the couple things you BOLDED, which I took to mean you considered the most important for you to want to attempt group organization. They were:

1) Time commitment
2) Sense of value / worthwhile
3) Own and operate a HAM radio.

Again... I think it's awesome to try to start a group here in MI, a worthwhile goal, and I'd be willing to put some time into it. My resources are just being allocated in a way right now that doesn't appear to be immediately compatible with your priority list.  If I can still be involved, I will.    :D

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »
scoutmaster, you've piqued my interest on this one.

I'm VERY new to all this --- say 3 months new --- so my problem is that I don't have much to contribute at this point in my "education". On the other hand, I have everything to gain. I want you to know this because I imagine I would be that sponge, just soaking everything up until I begin to gain the info and experience to help others. Make sense?

I also must say your thought about comm also interests me very much. I, too, had comm very low on my prep list, but your explanation and justification make excellent sense. It would in effect, be the push I need to get moving in that direction. Honestly, I'm surprised one can get started into HAM radio so inexpensively. I assumed it took much, much more of a financial commitment.

Bottom line:  if we can get the required participation...count me "IN" --- from "out west" near Grand Rapids.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:31:04 AM by SigMan34 »

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
D

none taken in any way, I just kind of use the hub of my preping around the communications that I posted because it makes so much easer. Being a ham has only shown me that there are ways to communicate that  would not be know to me otherwise.   and I must not relay on others for coms. and it had shown me how to do it, and do it cheaper.  Hams are some of the cheapest people you will find in the world. The education is free, off the internet basically.  Within reason the rules are fairly basic, it allows us to take a once very expensive commercial radio, That I can buy for a few dollars and modify it use it on the ham bands and get the benefit of the expensive commercial radio quality for a very few dollars.  

There are others that buy all the newest and latest stuff out there and pay top dollar for it.  But I also  know hams that have less than $50.00 in the hobby. They run an old radio and are happy with it.

I am unlike most other hams in that I have no interest in talking to others around the world, I don't chase DX (skip from far away places) I much prefer local communications for constructive purposes.
Kind of like letting it work for me. Long before cell phones where so cheap my wife and sons got licensed. MY youngest at 12 years old, Just so we could talk to them. Much like most do now with cells. So now  my whole family uses cells but all carry radios in there cars (it is with in our prep plans) and as I said have used them on a few occasions.

I do use it on a daily basses , but mostly talking to a few others (mostly like minded persons) going about there daily business. Usually in there cars going to and from places. it keeps us in practice and use to the equipment. We know where to look for each other and if an event takes place we will have good communications.

As I also said in my post there are two different licenses needed. the one to allow you to use VHF frequencies, But that is for local stuff 0 to 50 miles  VHF wont get you much further than that and that is where the second license comes in HF frequencies.

That would cover the whole State, or world if you cared.  but I hardly ever talk to any one out side of the state.  That would allow me or any one to with a simple pice of wire for an antenna , Not some huge monstrous antenna from my home to talk to  my or your  mobile 200 or 300 miles away. it also lets me talk from that far away to any of you if you have the equipment and license. meaning we can be scattered all over the state and still communicate with each other even if there are no phones internet or grid power. I really think that in-hanses our chances.

SIGMAN

Every one must start sometime,  At least you have identified that you need to do something, that puts you miles ahead of millions. I am sure you can gain a lot of info from all of us and others. get all you can, use whatever applies to you and yours. As i said we all seem to have different needs and thoughts for those needs.

My very very basic Thoughts on how to look at it are are

determine the safest place to be during a SHTF
determine what you need to be in that place
determine the fastest way to stock pile those things.
Contrary to a lot of popular belief I believe other non preped  people (sheeple) are our biggest threat. They are the variables the rest is not.
unfortunately I have found for that reason that my long time home is  not that place, the East coast Black out a few years ago showed me that. another reason I needed long range communications.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:00:17 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:16:59 PM »
Thanks, scoutmaster, I appreciate your thoughts.

Nonetheless, if the group obtains the required participation to become active...count me in.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:20 AM »
one or ten, makes no difference,,,

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
 Me n SigMan34 met up last nite... We're about a football punt away from each other! ;D

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
sounds like a good start, Like I said it doesnt matter if it is one or twenty, but it could make a difference when the time comes, To bad the rest of the state is to busy or asleep

to bad we are on opposite sides of the state, But go for it, when the lights go out it will be nice to have some one to talk to, you guys need to get going on the ham stuff. then you can talk all over the state, we did end up with two or three of us over here just don't post here. We do use ham to communcate with.
Good luck\
SM
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:26:01 PM by scoutmaster »

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 05:09:57 AM »
Absolutely, it was great to meet Jimbo and share stories and ideas with a like-minded brother. Like you said, a good start for sure.  :D