Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

Advice for learning to pick locks

<< < (5/5)

TBR:
I lost the key for a big Master padlock a couple years ago, and too big for my largest set of bolt cutters.  Called a locksmith, who spent about 5 mins trying to pick it before giving up and using a Dremel tool to cut it off.   When I asked him if lock-picking was more an art or a science, he said "both".   Made me wonder if bumping locks might be easier than learning how to pick them?

Cory (NewOldTech):
So where can I get just a basic set of tools while I'm just trying to learn the trade? I've looked in a few places and they either look really cheap or are too expensive, I'm not a locksmith yet! :)

ericksonrs:
itstactical.com has a ton of supplies...they have cheap and expensive sets at their store including some cutouts and practice locks.

I know Brian Black is friends with Jack but don't know if there is an MSB Discount.

Special K:
I've bought from here but shipping is literally a slow boat from China. Quality was good.

http://dx.com/s/lock%2bpick?PageSize=100

skas:

--- Quote from: ericksonrs on March 06, 2014, 11:58:37 AM ---itstactical.com has a ton of supplies...they have cheap and expensive sets at their store including some cutouts and practice locks.

I know Brian Black is friends with Jack but don't know if there is an MSB Discount.

--- End quote ---

+1 for getting the picks sold at ITS.  I just looked, and there doesn't appear to be an MSB discount for ITS...but it is still worth becoming a member at some point.

From there, start by just picking up a cheap qwikset lock and practice, practice, practice....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version