Community & Regional Connections > Region Eight

Portland OR forecast for Saturday 8/17/19: dueling far-right vs antifa

(1/5) > >>

Mr. Bill:
Sat 8/17 is probably a good day to stay out of downtown Portland.

AP, 8/13/19: Portland, Oregon, braces for far-right rally, counterprotest

--- Quote ---...an informal coalition of white nationalists, white supremacists and extreme-right militias hones its focus on Oregon's largest city as a stand-in for everything it feels is wrong with the U.S. ...

Portland's Rose City Antifa, the nation's oldest active anti-fascist group, says violence against right-wing demonstrators is "exactly what should happen when the far-right attempts to invade our town."...

None of the city's nearly 1,000 police officers will have the day off, and Portland will get help from the Oregon State Police and the FBI. Mayor Ted Wheeler has said he may ask Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, to call up the Oregon National Guard. ...

The rally is being organized by a member of the Proud Boys....  Others expected include members of the American Guard, the Three Percenters, the Oathkeepers and the Daily Stormers. ...
--- End quote ---

Actually, that's a fairly crappy news article.  It starts by talking about "out-of-state far-right groups planning a rally here" and then contradicts itself later by quoting "Randy Blazak, the leading expert on the history of hate groups in Oregon":

--- Quote ---"When I'm looking at what's happening right now, for me it's a direct line back to the 1980s: the battles between the racist skinheads and the anti-racist skinheads. ... It's the latest version of this thing that's been going on for 30 years in this city."
--- End quote ---

Oh well.  The analysis sucks, but the warning is still valid.  I'll see if I can find info about the planned location of the rally, because AP helpfully omitted that.

iam4liberty:
Indeed.  Could get interesting as Portland Mayor is under great pressure not to let ANTIFA off this time.  Here is his statement:

https://youtu.be/0XZjwEaZtas

FreeLancer:
Dammit!  Guess where I'm going? 

Good thing I keep a rifle up there.

David in MN:
Stay safe and away from all these jackasses, everybody. Don't want to be between 2 violent mobs in a position where the police might not help. And both mobs are the type to kick someone who is down.

Mr. Bill:
The rally is organized by Joe Biggs and is called "End to Domestic Terrorism".

Article from last week (8/8) in The Oregonian: Mixed messages, mounting tensions as Proud Boys and antifa prepare to face off in Portland

--- Quote ---The Proud Boys plan to assemble by the fountain at Tom McCall Waterfront Park and also march in the city, Tarrio said in an interview. They haven’t obtained any permits to do so.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version