Community & Regional Connections > Region Eight

Evacuations in Yakima County due to cracks at Rattlesnake Ridge

(1/4) > >>

Billie D:
Not looking good

https://www.kxly.com/news/rattlesnake-ridge-fissure-prompts-evacuation-notice/680586243

Hoping this does not become another 2014 Oso. 

Mr. Bill:
From the Yakima Herald:

Majority hold off on call to evacuate near Rattlesnake Ridge

Watching, waiting for Rattlesnake Ridge slide

Docwatmo:
About 8 or 10 miles east of that an old airstrip/training area.  When I was in the Army, we did an exercise at that training center and got to land C-130 on the strip and setup our comms van and gear. In one of the hangers were 3 of the planes from the movie "Always".  This was back in 92 or 93, so I don't know if they are still there or not.   But it is one of my fondest memories from the Army during my Stint at Ft Lewis. 

LVWood:
There is a video of the crack taken from a drone or something. It would seem the crack is probably the responsibility of the aggregate pit adjacent to it.
Over excavation or blasting.

CarbideAndIron:
"Many residents, of modest means, are reluctant to leave — likely out of concern of finding replacement housing."

I'd say 99% of people would be worried about finding replacement housing in this housing market, not just ones of "modest means".
Scary looking crack, that is a lot of terra firma that could be looking for a new home. And with as bare as it is, there's pretty much zero vegetation holding the ground together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version