Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear

Altoids Tin EDC Kit

(1/8) > >>

InquiringMind:
I recently put together a small EDC kit in an Altoids tin. I dug around a little online and found a number of videos on the topic on YouTube, but not a whole lot here on the forum.

In putting together the kit, I wanted something small enough and light enough that I could always keep it in my backpack or truck. Something that's carried everyday, and used frequently, not just in extreme 'survival scenarios'. The Altoids tin is just the right size, durable, and inexpensive. Within this size constraint, I wanted as many plain old 'handy' things as I could fit. The way I see it, these sorts of items fit into three categories: fix up a thing, fix up a person, or get me out of a situation. I think I've got a good start, but will likely refine it over time.

I'm curious to see what others have chosen to include in similar kits.

Content List:
- Altoids tin
- Rubber bands (x3)
- Duct tape patches (x5)
- Electrical tape (strip around inside wall)
- Sewing kit: needle, thread wrapped around a piece of cardboard, safety pin
- Cotton string (5')
- Stiff wire (1')
- Paper clips (x2)
- Paper
- Pencil
- Sheet of aluminum foil
- Money: $5, $1, quarters (x4) taped to inside of lid
- Matches
- 'Trick' birthday candle (relights when blown out, so potentially helps in the wind)
- LED flashlight
- Swiss Army Knife: blade, phillips screwdriver, wire stripper, bottle opener, flathead screwdriver, file, scissors, tweezers, toothpick
- Ziplock plastic bag (many uses, including holding all the contents if you can't fit them back in the tin)
- Toilet paper (5')
- Alcohol swabs (x4)
- Bandaids (x4)
- Tylenol (x2), Bendryl (x2), Imodium (x2), all wrapped in the aluminum foil

Front:
There are a thousand uses for rubber bands, and they make sure the tin stays shut.

Back:
I layered 5 patches of duct tape with roughly 1/4" offset so they're easily peeled off.

Inside, Packed:
It's sort of a 3D puzzle to get everything in.

Inside, Unpacked:
All laid out.

Hurricane:
I Haven't actually finished one, but I have these two sets of ideas from other forums:
--------------------------------------------------
Altoids Tin Kits:

NOTE: IF YOU BUY WHITMANS CANDY SAMPLER, YOU CAN FIT A BOTTLE OF POLAR PURE AND SOME MORE STUFF IN THE 30% BIGGER TIN - WHITMANS CAN RECOMMENDED IF AVAILABLE.

Last-ditch backup to everything else. Buy small tin of Altoids Mints, dump the mints (store in Ziploc for later use), and replace with:

>>2 single-edge razor blades with covers
>>BSA Hot Match and striker (can use P-38, but make sure it works first, some cheaper P-38's won’t spark the ferrochromium rod)
>>3 trick candles – light several fires with 1 match, or light fire in rain
>>3 Petroleum Jelly saturated cotton balls in vacuum-sealed plastic (seal-a-meal works great)
>>Micro Fishing Kit (2 small bait hooks and 2 #12 treble hooks, 2 pieces of split shot, 50 feet of monofilament all wrapped around small piece of cardboard)
>>Contractor Grade trash bag (2 for Whitman’s can)
>>Short roll of snare wire and finishing nails (Steel or galvanized wire works best - NOT braided!) Fine but strong wire (50# steel leader wire works too - need crimps)
>>Photon knock-off LED light (blue or white, red doesn’t show blood)

Water Container: Gallon Freezer Ziploc bag. Cover 3 seams with duct tape by cutting tape to length of seam, laying bag all the way out, align tape to cover half of seam, press to fix to plastic bag, flip over and fix other half of tape to other side of seam. Once all 3 seams are taped, bag will last much longer. Fold CAREFULLY and put in tin. Make sure you get ALL air out of bag. You won’t have enough room for water container if you use an Altoids tin instead of Whitman’s Sampler tin.

Finally, Seal kit with duct tape - keeps you from messing with it, and gives you a supply of duct tape. If you have access to a shrink-wrap machine, try shrink wrapping it to waterproof and possibly fool someone into thinking it’s still a tin full of Altoids mints - might come in handy.

It will take some work and finagling to get everything to fit, but it will. Once everything is in, seal kit, and DON’T OPEN!!! Everything will be fine for years as long as case is sealed and watertight or at least sealed if you don’t run it through the washer!

AND

It's amazing what will fit in an Altoids tin. Several years ago I made kits for each of the vehicles using them, one tin as a fishing kit, one as a first aid kit, one for fasteners (safety pins, a needle threaded with heavy upholstry thread, an alligator clip) and other odd potentially useful things, and one with emergency numbers, a stubby pencil, post-it notes, and a bit of cash, things like that. I then bought on clearance a couple fanny packs in the hunting section to hold them all, along with a small flashlight, emergency candle and other things I thought necessary. I painted the tins and labeled each as to the contents. My son keeps one of the first aid tins with his hunting gear, just in case he needs it while in the woods.

Cedar:
You might also tape or glue some sandpaper to the bottom inside can or lid or somewhere, to strike matches on as well. It works better than the paper match book I find. I use120 grit or better and maybe use wooden matches?

Cedar

Nate:

--- Quote from: Hurricane on January 04, 2015, 10:06:27 PM ---

NOTE: IF YOU BUY WHITMANS CANDY SAMPLER, YOU CAN FIT A BOTTLE OF POLAR PURE AND SOME MORE STUFF IN THE 30% BIGGER TIN - WHITMANS CAN RECOMMENDED IF AVAILABLE.

--- End quote ---

Can polar pure still be found?? 

I would ditch the matches and go with a small bic lighter.  I have used matches in kits before, both book and wooden, and after a few years in the kit they seem to be finicky to start.  I want fire NOW with as little headache as possible so I have switched to Bics. 

Toss in a P-38 can opener.  If you need a container to boil water, I am sure you can find a discarded beer can.  Use the p-38 to remove the top of the can and there you go!  you will still have the lip of the can left so no sharp edges.  (Or carry a full size SAK with can opener in your pocket at all times like I do!)

I have used the cash the most in my kits.  I have been just a few bucks short, or I get somewhere that is "cash only" because the computer is down.  The extra cash in my kit has supplemented what I carry in my wallet.  Very handy!

These threads are fun and educational.  Thanks for posting!

Carl:
But I carry bandages,money,duct tape,electrical tape,spare keys ,P38 and bandages in my wallet and a bic lighter,led light ,550,and knife in my pocket.I guess I should put them all in one box ,that is inconvenient to open ,not waterproof and less likely to be carried every day due to the size...

Talk me into this , I know it is better to have a KIT than a bunch of stuff in my wallet and pockets that I carry anyway.....

I am not looking for a confrontation, I really want to know how it is better....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version