Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Medical Needs and First Aid

Homemade masks

<< < (4/6) > >>

NickJ:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on April 04, 2020, 06:37:20 AM ---could you use these as a filter inside the washable cotton masks?

--- End quote ---

That's  what they did for testing.
"Inserting two of these towels into an ordinary cotton mask brought filtration up to 93%"

fritz_monroe:
While looking around for more info on the filters that I could use in 3D printed masks, I stumbled upon a good video and tutorial of masks that Unity Point Health in Cedar Rapids is making for their people.

Olson Mask PDF
Instructional video for sewing the Olson mask (COVID-19)

NickJ:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on April 04, 2020, 09:32:13 AM ---While looking around for more info on the filters that I could use in 3D printed masks, I stumbled upon a good video and tutorial of masks that Unity Point Health in Cedar Rapids is making for their people.

Olson Mask PDF
Instructional video for sewing the Olson mask (COVID-19)

--- End quote ---

In the video they mention making their filters out of HEPA vacuum cleaner bags and inserting them into the mask. you could do the same with the shop towel material. The Suay article mentions the vacuum bags but considers them too restrictive.

fritz_monroe:
In the video, they also recommend using double sided skin tape to get a good seal.  Probably not needed to wear while shopping.  But should probably be used if caring for an infected person.

fritz_monroe:
I decided to try my hand at making an Olson Mask.  I don't sew, but pulled my wife's sewing machine out of the closet.  Start to finish it took me about 45 minutes to sew it up.  If I knew what I was doing, it would have been about 10, but I haven't sewn anything since Home Economics in High School.

So here's my new mask.  I'll be making more for my wife and daughter.  I'll use different fabric though, something that the pattern doesn't need to match up.

I did not use a pipe cleaner in the nose for this one.  I 3D printed a nose piece, that's the curvy thing in this pic.  The hair ties were too small, so on the next one I'll use regular elastic.  The ladder looking thing and the other red thing with hearts are to connect the elastic to so the mask isn't attached to your ears.  Basically makes the loop around to the back of your head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version