Finance and Economics > Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary

The 1619 Project

<< < (2/3) > >>

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: David in MN on September 08, 2019, 08:15:25 AM ---I don't know why I feel so alone.

--- End quote ---
Simple.  Thinking this way doesn't further the current narrative.  If the country wasn't built on the back of slaves, then how can this be used to steal from the "rich."  And it doesn't allow the "victims" of the slave trade to be anything more than a victim.

The Professor:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on September 08, 2019, 12:31:15 PM ---Simple.  Thinking this way doesn't further the current narrative.  If the country wasn't built on the back of slaves, then how can this be used to steal from the "rich."  And it doesn't allow the "victims" of the slave trade to be anything more than a victim.

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  It teaches and encourages certain populations to accept their fate as caused by someone else.  They are Victims and that is a status that has been carefully crafted over these past 70+ years as desirable and covetable.

If they were to look at their current status as not being someone else's fault, that might mean their future is also not someone else's fault and, presumably, not immutable.

Then, that would mean their future is in their own hands based upon how they apply themselves.

But, if they feel the obstacle was placed before them hundreds of years ago and is insurmountable. . . why even try?

The Professor

David in MN:
I still have a hard time believing that malnourished illiterate people in tattered clothes created what I enjoy. It was a travesty and a crime against society for sure but slave labor just never produces a Shelby Cobra Mustang or puts a man on the moon. There's a reason American slavery looks an awful lot like Roman slavery. Thousands of years with no innovation.

And why not call out the victories of ending the practice? Within 100 years of the end of American slavery in a cruel war we get the benefit of freed men and women working as inventors and artists. The Harlem Renaissance alone has produced some of the finest American literature (and some of my favorites). But I'm to be told that the motive power of this land was more influenced by an unknown slave in 1619 than by Ralph Ellison? And maybe the really scary belief is that I believe that slavery and serfdom through the eons stifled millions of Ralph Ellisons. Far from creating modern life it held us back. Slave culture never gets beyond hand tools.

Carver:
The problem that the 1619 project created for itself is that in an attempt to credit slavery for making American great is that it is in effect promoting slavery.
Another problem for them is that it is a common perception amongst our unlearned that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson created slavery, and now they are broadcasting that it came upon our shores way long before. On the other hand there are many that do not know anything about the revolutionary war or when this country originated so are likely to believe that George and Thomas stood on the shore welcoming the slaves abroad in 1619. Those of us who are knowledgeable of basic historical facts are living in denial that there are so very many that have little knowledge of any history previous to their 12th birthday.

David in MN:
Would it change the story of Jefferson if he inherited all his slaves and was too poor to free them under Virginia law? How about if the slave he had a sexual relationship with was his late wife's half sister and they fell in love in France where slavery had been abolished?

I have no issue calling the act of slavery a moral abomination but the story we've been told is rather poppycock. The task of convincing me is impossible: Would I rather an army of slaves or a Chevy pickup and a Kaboda front end loader? I guess I could use a fleet of slaves to make all my food but I'd still prefer a 42mm Buhler twinscrew extruder.

And the hilarious part is that the experiment has been run. For the bulk of American history the military could compel young men to show up and do whatever they wished. And even with that power they found that labor saving machines like trucks and rail were worth the effort. They could have shackled every 19 year old to an oar but found gasoline just worked better.

Even our storied legends fell short. The hardest backs and broadest shoulders of Paul Bunyon and John Henry were bested by machines. I'm a pretty big strong dude but if the choice is to enslave me with my scythe or buy a John Deere I'm not up to the task.

In fact the true story is 180 degrees in the other direction. Our free states gave us automobiles, tractors, flight, amusement parks. If the Times want to claim slavery generates wealth I'm really happy to be on team free people who gave us the internal combustion engine, light bulb, vacuum, electric motor, airplane, Playboy, and damn near everything that makes life better. 

And maybbe there is a very hard question the Times won't answer. Would I be better served having Einstein, Tesla, Jobs, and Wozniak as chattle? I think not. That doesn't feel like the path to wealth and happiness. I do not see in any of my reading of history where slavery made a man wealthy or serfdom benefitted the lord of the land.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version