Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The Airsoft Forum

ATF seizes airsoft rifles, says they can be converted to machine guns

<< < (5/6) > >>

chromesoldier:
WOW.    I am going to go hide my kids NERF ball gun. I think if I tried it can launch 40mm Grenades.  Damn ATF already at my door!!!!!!

Urban Knight:
Guys, we're looking at it the wrong way. Let me narrate what some fools do here in the Philippines, makes me want to use real firearms on some of these weirdos. Have been playing airsoft for 8 years, started out with plastic guns that you have to cock with every shot using .12 grain plastic pellets, something you can buy for the equivalent of a few US cents.  Then bought 2nd hand Maruhi guns with 280 fps (feet per second),  Very expensive at $200 equivalent, mind you these were 2nd hand.  We can now buy in the Philippines Chinese made airsoft guns going 475 fps out of the box, with tournament rules stating you can't go over 450.  So you have to break these guns in if you want them to go down to 450.  But some guys upgrade to as much as 750 to 900 fps.  Expensive and breaks down the gun. 

Some groups sponsor "OPEN" FPS tournaments and I tell my group to shy away from that as they don't plan to have fun anymore, but to hurt people.  It turns out I was correct in my advice. There's this group that plays with us, good guys that tried entering an "OPEN" FPS competition.  One player was rushed to the Emergency Room as what hit him was not a plastic pellet or BB but a steel BB.  It inbeded about .3 of an inch inside his skin.  Some other guys had their masks and helmets shattered by BBs, too strong to be plastic, and for these steel BBs to go through the skin I can't imagine how strong those Airsoft springs are, and how powerful their batteries are.  Parts are not regulated here, so anyone with the money can upgarade to as much as 800-1000 fps but that will for sure ruin the toy. 

So think of steel BBs or Pellets going out at 750 fps,  hitting your wrist, neck, or anywhere in your body where you could bleed to death, or really maim you.  Don't think firearms with gunpowder and shell casings and bullets, think of super springs at 220 power enabling a stell pellet to go 700 feet per second.  Might not kill you but it sure will cause damage.

As for those guys using steel pellets, we never did find out who that was but we know his team so we don't invite them to our site.  And no one joins open fps tournaments anymore.   

Loki:

--- Quote from: Asclepius on March 12, 2010, 08:06:19 PM ---The ATF seized a shipment of airsoft rifles headed to Cornelius, OR, stating that they can be readily converted into machine guns.
--- End quote ---

This is standard policy in Australia, along with the argument they can be used to rob stores, so there's a blanket ban in most states. Airsoft weapons are treated as in the same category as their real-steel counterparts.

RPZ:
Full auto BB guns are available - so what is it with airsofts? For anyone to say that a device can be "readily converted to a machinegun" it has to be a firearm to begin with.

Evidently, and as many already know, what the batmen want to call a firearm, a machinegun, a "sporting" gun etc can be anything they want it to be. These things happen when you give tax collectors regulatory powers.

The Professor:

--- Quote from: RPZ on February 24, 2012, 07:21:54 AM ---Full auto BB guns are available - so what is it with airsofts? For anyone to say that a device can be "readily converted to a machinegun" it has to be a firearm to begin with.

Evidently, and as many already know, what the batmen want to call a firearm, a machinegun, a "sporting" gun etc can be anything they want it to be. These things happen when you give tax collectors regulatory powers.

--- End quote ---

Well, when the airsoft lowers are made to match the real-firearm uppers. . .and have holes in the exact same places as the select-fire trigger groups. . AND have the appropriate internal dimensions to accept all the full-auto parts. . . so that all you have to do is get a full-auto fire group and slap on an upper and buffer tube. . .I do have to admit that I can see where they'd become a bit nervous  about it.

And yes, they do accept AR mags.

The Professor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version