Author Topic: 10/22 Loose Pins  (Read 4750 times)

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
10/22 Loose Pins
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:03:13 AM »
I bought a 10/22 carbine new a couple years ago, and I've put maybe 1000 rounds through it since.

Last time I was at the range I noticed this clunking sound when I rotated the rifle about its long axis (e.g. turned it upside down). Everything functioned fine: smooth action, no jams, typical accuracy.

When I got it home and cleaned it, I realized that the pins were quite loose. The clunking sound could be attributed to the pins sliding back and forth and contacting the inside of the stock.

I'm still relatively inexperienced with firearms, so I have a few questions:
(1) Is this common? Have you experienced this with the 10/22 or other firearms?
(2) Is it a problem? Will it affect functionality, life, or safety?
(3) If so, how can I fix this? Do I need to bring it to a gunsmith?

Thanks, all!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: 10/22 Loose Pins
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:36:11 AM »
My 10/22 is circa 2009

When I remove the stock, the pins holding the trigger group in the action will slide out.
This is not an issue while shooting, as the stock holds the pins in place.

I do two things
1) apply some thick grease to the pins before inserting.  This mitigates the rattle
2) place some tape over the pins.  PVC/masking/scotch all work.  I only do this so pins don't go flying when I disassemble

Totally safe and functional, just annoying.  There are aftermarket pins for sale if this really bothers you.
Also, if you do end up tinkering with replacement pins, I might suggest a replacement bolt buffer.  Instead of metal there are various hard plastic/polymer materials that are slicker thicker and quieter when the bolt hits after firing.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
Smurf said it all,don't worry about the rattle ,the bolt flies back and forth also because it is free floating.

d3nni5

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:58:44 PM »
The pins in my trigger group are loose too.   This is by design i think.    The recoil buffer is a widely replaced part with aftermarket replacements.   Folks prefer a nylon part to a metal part.   I've never changed mine out personally.  I did however change my bolt release, another common "fix" over the standard parts.

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for all the feedback.

This is not an issue while shooting, as the stock holds the pins in place.
1) apply some thick grease to the pins before inserting.  This mitigates the rattle
2) place some tape over the pins.  PVC/masking/scotch all work.  I only do this so pins don't go flying when I disassemble
I'll give this a try. Good to know the loose pins shouldn't have any real negative consequences, but the clunking back and forth is definitely annoying. Can't hunt with semi-auto in my state, but I imagine this sound would scare off game.

Offline Cow101

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • my site crosshair customs
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »
i put aftermarket oversized stainless pins in partly for rattle but i have seen  several 10/22s come in that were rusted badly figured i would kick that in the butt but i was a gunsmith in a coastal Alaska town so rust is a problem lol