Author Topic: Wards Western 14m-488a  (Read 6167 times)

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Wards Western 14m-488a
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
Just acquired one of these today. It was my wife's grandfather's gun. He's been Gone for quite some time now but her grandmother had recently been moved out of her home to assisted living and my mother-in-law has been going through with her siblings trying to get the home ready to sell.

I did a bit of research and all I can figure out is that it's a Mossberg 50 rebranded for Montgomery Wards. They were built between 1938-1942. I can't find out much else. If I can get any operating instructions, that would be great. I think I understand how the action works but I don't want to be figuring it out on the firing line at the range. With it being so old, I can't seem to find any kind of manual for this.

I'll try to get some pictures up later.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Wards Western 14m-488a
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
And now I've managed to pull the bolt/hammer and can't get the hammer back in.  :P

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Well, I figured out why I couldn't get it all the way back together. I found an old scan of the "General Instructions" sheet that came with the gun. In order to re-insert the hammer into the receiver, you have to pull the trigger to pull the sear out of the way (which I was trying)

The thing is, I can't pull the trigger far enough back to cause the sear to break and release the hammer. This is why I couldn't figure the action out because the hammer wouldn't release. I had to remove the receiver from the stock to get the thing back together. Guess I'm taking this to a gunsmith to have a look at. The whole mechanism is stupid simple, though. Don't want to risk messing up such a cool old gun, though. I've got enough experience working on airgun triggers but with something I don't know if I can get parts for, I'd rather leave it to someone who knows better.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
The safety is a key to trigger travel.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »
I agree, sounds like the safety is not disengaging fully....or there is an issue with the disconnector. Probably gummed up with dried oil.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:38:43 AM »
Sounds like the notorious Mossberg 50 trigger guard problem.  Sounds crazy but try removing the trigger guard and seeing if trigger will function properly.  If so you will need to replace it.  They run about $25.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
DING DING DING! iam4liberty guessed right. I figured it out late last night after everyone went to bed. The trigger guard shrank keeping the trigger from traveling all the way back. If I squeeze the guard into the stock, I can pull the trigger far enough to release the hammer. Might try filing the back of the guard until I can get a new one.

The gun's a little dirty from sitting for so many years but it's in surprisingly good condition considering that it probably hasn't been touched or cared for in 20 years. Don't see any sign of any kind of oil in or on the gun to protect it yet there's only a little bit of surface rust. Stock is a bit dinged up so it was certainly a working gun before my wife's grandfather passed and not kept in a closet all the time.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
Great news!!

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
Got it all working today. Now, I just have to get the spider webs out of the barrel.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:26:18 PM »
That's a new one on me. Thanks for posting the solution!

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »
That's a new one on me.

FYI, It affects several of the older mossbergs but in different ways.  Even the bolt actions can be impacted.  I first heard of it when cmp released the m44s about a decade ago.  The trigger guards shrunk on many of them which resulted in the bolts coming out because the trigger wasnt allowing the bolt stop to function.  Some of the after market manufacturers even made aluminum replacement trigger guards. 

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »
FYI, It affects several of the older mossbergs but in different ways.  Even the bolt actions can be impacted.  I first heard of it when cmp released the m44s about a decade ago.  The trigger guards shrunk on many of them which resulted in the bolts coming out because the trigger wasnt allowing the bolt stop to function.  Some of the after market manufacturers even made aluminum replacement trigger guards.

Wow, is anyone making after market trigger guards out of aluminum for these old Mossbergs? That would be really nice to have on here especially in anodized black to keep the same look. Seems all the guards I see for sale are plastic.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:04:42 PM »
Wow, is anyone making after market trigger guards out of aluminum for these old Mossbergs? That would be really nice to have on here especially in anodized black to keep the same look. Seems all the guards I see for sale are plastic.

Not sure.  I think brownells had an exclusive with the manufacturer of the ones for the m44s.  If you call them they will pass you to an expert who can tell you what is available.  You might also want to drop a message at www.havlinsales.com.  They are the source for all things mossberg 22 related.