Author Topic: Reloading 22LR  (Read 6757 times)

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Reloading 22LR
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: Reloading 22LR
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »
Very reasonably priced. I will probably buy one just to have at that price.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 08:33:27 PM »
Wow that is cool, while I was lucky enough to have a substantial amount of .22 put away before they became unavailable the ability to reload my .22's is intriguing.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:07 PM »
 :popcorn:  Cool

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:38:56 AM »
$75 for kit
$25 for powder and primer
$5 shipping

You just spent over $100

You can buy a Lee Classic Kit, Lee bullet mold, and enough primers and powder for 1k rounds of 38/9mm/45 for the same money.

And no one ever reads that article and sees the comment that the reloads are not very accurate.  And if they are not very accurate compared to bulk .22 that means they are about useless.

Now that .22 is coming back onto the market why not just take the $100 and do what everyone that claims to be a prepper should have done before 2008,  stockpile some good .22.

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »

And no one ever reads that article and sees the comment that the reloads are not very accurate.  And if they are not very accurate compared to bulk .22 that means they are about useless.

Actually they state that they didn't get "target precision", which I suspect is defined by ELEY. Which makes sense since the author admits to lubing some bullets and not  others, and loading anything that fell out of the mold.

That being said they just came out with a 22mag kit, a "make your own" #11 percussion, and I've heard they are working on a way to reprime Berdan primers, making steel reloadable... I'm really hoping on that last one. :-\

Offline Scojo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:57 AM »
That's a neat idea, but if things keep improving to the point that I can just pick up 22LR without having to hunt around for it, then that will probably be the way that I go. 22LR was about the only ammo not in stock, other than for a few boxes of match grade, at the local gun store last week. Always good to have more options, though.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
I'm just now seeing this?  This is cool.
I can't say that I NEED it, but reloading is relaxing to me. Stinkin' cool. I might have to try it someday.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Don't know that I would use this for .22 LR, unless I could get good accuracy.  As noted in the article he did not lube his bullets, and did not resize them.  And it appears he may not have inspected them all that carefully either for defects.  Also, he notes the difficulty in working with 1 grain powder loads.  Most reloading can vary by 0.1 grains and still have accurate loads.  But this would be 10% variance for the .22 LR.  I give them an A+ for putting together a complete, affordable package though.

I would be much more interested in the .22 WMR, or a future .17 kit.  Especially if Hornady or someone would sell the jacketed bullets.  That ammo is about the same as center fire ammo so reloading with tiny bullets and powder charges would be way cheaper.  Plus you would be using maybe 2-3 grains of powder so it would be a little easier to get consistent loads.  They are both about $16/50 rds at Cabelas, so from what they claim it sounds like you could save 50% over factory, but not have the option for hollowpoints.  It seems you should save a lot more than that so they might be amortizing the cost of the kit as well.