Author Topic: Your .22 Rifle of Choice  (Read 41405 times)

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Your .22 Rifle of Choice
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
I've got a 10/22 that I love, but my pick would probably be my Henry H001.  Dead reliable, will shoot any .22 rimfire ammo (S, L, LR, CB, subsonic, hyper velocity, you name it), no mags to buy or break or lose, beautiful wood furniture, yet inexpensive enough that I won't cry when it gets a scratch or dent.  Not much bigger than a Daisy BB gun, so it's extremely quick-handling.  Plus lever guns are just fun as heck to shoot.  I put an aperture sight on it, which was a huge improvement over the stock semi-buckhorn sights, and a brass bead on the front.  Very easy to pick up the target quickly now.

Offline SouthernIllinoisPREP

• Prepper
  • Let the Apocalypse BEGIN!
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
They do, sorta  :o

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

Haha yeah. I've been looking at a kit just like that for my Glock.

Offline SouthernIllinoisPREP

• Prepper
  • Let the Apocalypse BEGIN!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
I've got a 10/22 that I love, but my pick would probably be my Henry H001.  Dead reliable, will shoot any .22 rimfire ammo (S, L, LR, CB, subsonic, hyper velocity, you name it), no mags to buy or break or lose, beautiful wood furniture, yet inexpensive enough that I won't cry when it gets a scratch or dent.  Not much bigger than a Daisy BB gun, so it's extremely quick-handling.  Plus lever guns are just fun as heck to shoot.  I put an aperture sight on it, which was a huge improvement over the stock semi-buckhorn sights, and a brass bead on the front.  Very easy to pick up the target quickly now.

I love Henry Rifles. The Henry H001 is great. I'm currently in the market for a Henry but I kind of want a .357 Henry Rifle.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
10/22 right now. A modified magazine for 22 shorts is nice to have too.

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
  • Ancient Garden Organic Farm
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 05:22:31 AM »
Ruger 10-22. The only modification I've made so far is a Volquartsen automatic bolt release.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
I have 2 10-22's, but I am new to them, and to guns in general. What does the V.... bolt release do ?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »
Mountainmoma, the modified bolt release allows you to release the bolt from the locked-open position by just pulling back and releasing, like most semi-auto rifles.  With it installed, you no longer have to fiddle with the tiny little bolt-lock lever by the trigger guard to release the bolt.

You can buy a pre-made version like the Volquartsen, but many people just modify their stock part by removing a small nub of metal with a Dremel tool or file.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »
Oh ! That would be super convenient. It is realy, realy awkward to get it ready for that first shot. For the girls too -- could be a big delay, so getting it to just pull back and let go would be fantastic

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
Here's a video on how to make that conversion; pretty simple. I went ahead and bought the part since I like having extra parts around just in case and this allowed me to keep the original.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIOn_8NJI8E

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
I've got a couple .22's, but would like a couple more. One is a 50ish year old bolt action, tube fed Wards / Westernfield that shoots great and was the first firearm I ever fired wbout 40 years ago.
My other is a Hammerli Sporter .22.  It's a couple years old, besides my bud and I, I don't know anybody else with one. It's tube fed, semi-auto, 18+1, fiber optics are standard, dead on shooting, and try as I might, I haven't been able to make it malfunction. I put some old, rusted, nasty looking Thunderbolts through it, pulled the trigger as fast as I could, and it spit them out without a hitch....think I paid $210 for it, and I'll probably get a couple more.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:59 AM »
I've always been partial to the Marlin model 60. Nice shooting and reliable, but didn't always like the tube magazine. The catch, over time, seems to wear out and then eject itself (at the worst possible moment) along with all the ammo. I've also lost count while loading and wind up putting in too many shells. You find out when you try and re-insert to rod, have to remove it, and dump out a shell or two.
This is why I'm contemplating something like an HK 416 or some other clip fed .22. I'm not fond of the Ruger 10/22's even though I know there are a ton of aftermarket accessories for them.
The biggest thing I see is price. I could buy 3 Marlins for the price of the HK, but I've never heard anything bad about HK firearms and the removable magazines are what I'm looking for in a .22 right now.
Would like to hear reviews from anyone who has the HK or similar.

Offline Sardo

• Prepper
  • We have two seasons, winter and road construction
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
My first choice is my Marlin 60. My father bought it for me when I was old enough to take hunter safety. I agree with the post above about the tube feed though. Apparently counting to 15 is difficult when reloading. I've had a cheap Simmons 4x12 scope on it since I can remember. I bought a plain old 10-22 a year or two ago and my wife gets a kick out of shooting clay pigeons off the stand I made. It's the first rifle she has ever shot. Quick note, with her as a first time shooter, she really hated shooting paper. She needed a reactive type target so I made the clay holder. Those clays breaking was all it took and she was hooked. Now she wants to know why I wont let her shoot the Marlin with the scope yet. I was always to taught to learn with irons, so she is too, and she's pretty good. I can't even begin to count how many bricks of shells I have ran through the model 60 with no problems what so ever. I will probably give it to my son one day.

Offline SOprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
This is a hard one.  I have an old 10-22 which is the one I am most familiar  with and is probably the one that I would go to if I could only have one because of its versatility.  I did however, just pick up the Ruger American in .22lr.  I have only gotten it out to the range one time for a few rounds but it is awesome.  I also have a Rossi pump .22 which is a blast to shoot.  There are so many good options that it is hard to choose just one.

Offline Blue_Sky

• Prepper
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »
Surprised my trusty Sears & Roebuck Model 25 didn't make the list. Ok, maybe not THAT surprised. I'm in the market for a new .22 sounds like the general feeling is a 10/22 if you want to do some customizing, and Model 60 for better reliability and accuracy if you don't plan on adding anything to it. That about on the money?

Offline trailtoa

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 07:28:20 PM »
trinharder, thanks for the bolt release link.  My first choice is a Mark II, but it not a rifle, so I will go with the 10/22.

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
trinharder, thanks for the bolt release link.  My first choice is a Mark II, but it not a rifle, so I will go with the 10/22.

No charge.

Offline hbprepper

• Prepper
  • I like pies!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
I have a Ruger 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel, suppressor and an extended butt plate as I have long arms.

Works well, has never failed me and is pretty quite with sub sonic ammo and a poly buffer.

Need to get a better rail/iron sights so I can take the scope off and still use it.

I learned to shoot with what I think was an old Winchester 22lr pump action and that took a real beating and kept on shooting.  Would love to find another one now.

Offline Aceman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »
Hard to argue with a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, or even a regular 10/22

I have a Henry Survival and this:

SMith & Wesson M&P 15-22.  Great gun, and tons of fun even if it isn't raining zombies!!!!

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
I have a Henry H-001 lever gun that I love.

FarmerJim

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
My 10/22 was my first gun at age 9. I'll always have a place for them.

Offline kayjay mtn man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »
I love my henry lever .22.  the second most accurate rimfire ive ever owned. I deeply regret getting rid of a Thompson center .22 classic, that thing was spot on!!!!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
We put the better sights on my daughters 10/22 carbine, the tech sights sold on the appleseed site, and it has made a huge difference in her accuracy.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2014, 08:23:38 AM »
10/22

And for those who have them, seriously consider getting a drop in Kidd trigger. They are amazing, not cheap, but amazing. Trigger breaks like glass.

Offline Blue_Sky

• Prepper
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
After finding out it's not legal to hunt with a semi-automatic of any caliber in PA I went with a CZ-455. I'm extremely happy with it, even though it was pretty expensive for a bolt action .22. Only other drawback I've seen with it is it only comes with a single 5 shot magazine.

Went to an Appleseed shoot with it and got a 205 on the 50-foot AQT using the stock open sights, even though they gave me some extra time to mess around with reloading my magazine. If you're looking for a .22 you can dry fire and practice your marksmanship with, as well as bring it hunting, I think it's a good option.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2014, 03:38:48 AM »
CZ rimfire rifles are some of the few CZ products I'd buy (yeah, very unpatriotic of me). I got my wife a ZKM456, long and heavy-barreled, scoped. It's fun to shoot and it's very accurate. I wouldn't mind having some other model with regular barrel and open sights for me. That, or a Henry lever gun.

Offline Pistolero

• Prepper
  • Certified Firearms Instructor
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 10:42:16 PM »
For, oh say, the  past 38 years it's been this: 

It's a Winchester M9422 XTR in 22LR.  Although not in the picture it's presently fitted with a Leupold 4X Scope mounted in Redfield, 'See-Thru' scope rings.  It's hanging on the wall over my desk as I type; but, I'm too lazy to get up, breakout the camera, and take a picture. 

(Why the scope?  It wasn't too long ago that I simply looked through the scope mounts all of the time; but I'm getting older; and my eyes aren't what they used to be.  As for the rifle?  It's always been a very straight shooter.  I, also, like the inherent accuracy and speedy rate-of-fire that a lever action gun provides.)   ;D 

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 01:04:36 AM »
Started my rifleman life at ten years old with a j Stevens .22/410 (later became the savage model 24) so old it does not have a serial number on it! (I'm 28 and the rifle was prolly made in the early sixties before I hear any quips). Then I used a Remington nylon 66 that a friend of my father's had us keeping for him, shot a coyote at close range with it once. jammed after the first shot, but that first shot broke the spine. Yote HOWWWWLLLED! Scared me silly, then I went Rambo on him with the other 13 shells. Took a break from rimfire for the next eight years or so while in the army, got out, heard about Appleseed, and got a marlin model 60 after working the gun counter at sportsmans warehouse and seeing a guy from bush alaska ignore all the other guns I tried to interest him in, lock eyes on the 60 and go "I want that one!". Others had spoke highly of it as well, detachable mags can come out at inopportune times, fall in the snow and never be seen again til spring. Bad thing to happen In The bush. 
Went to Appleseed, thought "I did great In The army, they might as well hand me my rifleman patch now" and they did... Three whole full weekend shoots later! Of course I took the orange hat after seeing how well they knew what they were about, shot rifleman again about two weekends ago and got my winterseed rifleman patch. Now I want to get rifleman with my sks and then be at the right place at the right time to get the infernoseed patch IN ALASKA (100 deg f happens here, o yes it does!).

On our Appleseed lines the most common .22 rifle by far is the 10/22. However just about every other shoot we have a marlin Of either the 60 or 795 flavor and I do have to say i prefer them  over the rugers. I know how to operate them, but I feel the 10/22 just wasn't designed by a person who shoots guns, but by a lawyer and this is typical of many of ruger's firearms. You don't need, but I highly recommend at least getting an auto bolt release. Tech sights are great if you don't want a scope or red dot. Then I'd get a match grade trigger, and then you can decide if you want a better mag release. I really wish the 10/22 had a last round bolt hold open too.

The 60 and more so the 795 are excellent, highly accurate rifles perfect for Appleseed. The micro groove rifling really is excellent. The only complaint I have with the 60 (idk if the 795 does it too) is that after closing the bolt (if you start with the bolt open) you must rack the bolt again to chamber a round. Small potatoes, takes but a second, but...

After those rifles I'd say we see a lot of m&p15-22s, and we've seen more than one cz. Only seen one savage mkII, which is a shame because you can totally make the grade with a bolt gun ( seen it twice myself and a guy came really close this last weekend, 206/210 just needed one or two more rounds to get it!).

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2015, 05:05:35 AM »
Anyone has the Rossi .22 pump action? Just saw one for sale here and despite it's sort of funny looking, I'm thinking about it...any feedback on reliability, accuracy...?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
Anyone has the Rossi .22 pump action? Just saw one for sale here and despite it's sort of funny looking, I'm thinking about it...any feedback on reliability, accuracy...?

I have the small ROSSI GALLERY ...it is a smallish 22 S,L,LR stainless steel pump that is a load of fun,small,light ,easy function and accurate..great trainer too with the exposed hammer..When full pump stroked ,it is great...if short stroked ,you get finicky and jams.

ON SUBJECT,my favorite 22 is ALL of them..10-22.browning lever 22,Volquartsen ruger 10-22 ,
American 180 (144 round drum fed Class 3) Anschutz Olympic ...Mossberg Target....

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2015, 08:19:39 AM »
Thanks Carl. The seller said nothing more about it, he mainly offers like wholesale deals and when selling single units of something, he often just writes brand and caliber. Not sure what's the model. Here's a picture:
What's the large screw on receiver for? Is that a takedown model?